how to rid the house of the stink of Thai food

opalred

over the years my wife has gone back to the north mountain food

it stinks <deleted> bad and the smell sticks in the house all the time 

it seems to stick to walls and ceilings i built here a kitchen outside   but smell seems to come in

when i complain she says my frang cooking stinks too

even brought that rice smell to perfume the car

how do you win

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where you'd buy one from in Thailand, but large stainless steel vent hoods (extractor fans) are popular for people who barbeque outside and don't want a lot of smoke. Installing one over your cooking area would vent the smells vertically and probably reduce the smell coming into your home.
A few problems - 1) very expensive, 2) your wife may 'forget' to turn it on leading to arguments), and 3) she will probably bring the cooked food inside and stink the house out anyway! When I first glanced at the title of this thread I thought it might be about stinking out the fridge - that's my pet hate - weird stuff in the fridge that stinks and transfers its stench to everything else.  I don't want to get too dark here, but No. 1 on my 'cancer list' (a theoretical list of things I'd do if my wife tragically passed away unexpectedly) would be to decontaminate the fridge and/or buy a new one. I swear to God if I see another bag of chilli flakes in the freezer next to the ice cream on more time ....

1 hour ago, jadee said:

I don't know where you'd buy one from in Thailand, but large stainless steel vent hoods (extractor fans) are popular for people who barbeque outside and don't want a lot of smoke. Installing one over your cooking area would vent the smells vertically and probably reduce the smell coming into your home.
A few problems - 1) very expensive, 2) your wife may 'forget' to turn it on leading to arguments), and 3) she will probably bring the cooked food inside and stink the house out anyway! When I first glanced at the title of this thread I thought it might be about stinking out the fridge - that's my pet hate - weird stuff in the fridge that stinks and transfers its stench to everything else.  I don't want to get too dark here, but No. 1 on my 'cancer list' (a theoretical list of things I'd do if my wife tragically passed away unexpectedly) would be to decontaminate the fridge and/or buy a new one. I swear to God if I see another bag of chilli flakes in the freezer next to the ice cream on more time ....

These vents aren't all that expensive and do a decent job. The crude ones used for outdoor grills (such as in local markets) cost very little, and sometimes operate with a makeshift reapplied fan. 

Cooking smells sticking inside the house can be countered with vigorous constant cleaning of panels, but that's a chore. For fridge - we use sealed boxes for the nasty stuff, no problems. There are also these thingies, sort of like foam cube inside a plastic frame which sucks some of the bad smells (never really used these).

Guess I'm lucky though....most of what the Mrs. cooks smells great, and she usually avoids bringing out the occasional "special" when we eat together.

I agree with TR...start cooking some Indian Food...heard recent reports of landlords in the US keeping entire deposits of Indian people, whose food has penetrated everything.  Also, this maybe one of the few cases where the OP does need to go home.  I love the smell of Thai food...but that doesn't mean I would tolerate leftover funk in the refrigerator.  Smoke a cigar, or otherwise, open a window.  Get over it.

3 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I agree with TR...start cooking some Indian Food...heard recent reports of landlords in the US keeping entire deposits of Indian people, whose food has penetrated everything.  Also, this maybe one of the few cases where the OP does need to go home.  I love the smell of Thai food...but that doesn't mean I would tolerate leftover funk in the refrigerator.  Smoke a cigar, or otherwise, open a window.  Get over it.

It's true. First let me say I LOVE Indian/Pakistani food ! I lived in an area that had its own little India and my apartment complex was a favorite among Indian families. The problem is that Indian cooking involves frying the spices first and also then frying huge batches of onions. After these preliminary steps, the dishes are assembled with generally some type of curry or masala mix. The whole process leaves the fragrance on everything. I actually think it's the combo of the fried onions and the spices, acts as a carrier for the rest to come later.

Sometimes my girlfriend cooks that very spicy Thai food. You know I`m sure you have all experienced it, the food that while being fried the smell literally burns the nostrils and makes us almost choke to death on the fumes. But this is Thailand and over the years, I won`t say I`ve gotten used to it, but I have come to accept it now.  In fact I have acquired a taste for local Thai food and eat that more often than western food these days.

As in Rome, do what ......... Get used to it, as it`s not going to change.

12 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Does she complain that you stink when you pass wind ?  On a serious note that is why Thai kitchens are generally outside semi enclosed but guess you are not in Thailand ? 

Just read the op, it's all there.

It'd be on her clothes, breath, coming out of her skin etc. Her counter argument of 'frang cooking stinks too' is a bit, umm... How do you win? Divorce works well. :smile:

Edited by daveAustin

"All tastes are acquired" per my consumer behavior prof at uni. Need to do a bit of Pavlovian conditioning of self regarding that "stink". Does wife have some special skill she could treat you with while the smell is in the air? You could also take up smoking, tends to dull sense of smell

Cook outside, eat outside. Haven't eaten indoors for quite a while. Missus cooks Thai, Indian, roasts chillies and very occasionally that stinking fish dish.

Doors to house front and back are always open anyway (no living room aircon) and house doesn't smell.

About Foreign food stinking ....I'm afraid she's right.

In one of my past lives I drove a Taxi. You would not believe how much it stank (stunk, whatever tickles your fancy) out the car when the pubs closed and the punters came in with their " take away" fish and chips or burgers. 

Maybe only myself smelt it as I was the only sober one in the car.

43 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Divorce her and marry and Indian lady.

I used to work in many homes and saw lots of cultural differences.  Indian homes have a two inch layer of cooking grease that covers everything in the kitchen and thins out slowly as the radius increases.  And the odors?  Wow! They stay with you for a long time like burnt human flesh.  

6 minutes ago, csabo said:

I used to work in many homes and saw lots of cultural differences.  Indian homes have a two inch layer of cooking grease that covers everything in the kitchen and thins out slowly as the radius increases.  And the odors?  Wow! They stay with you for a long time like burnt human flesh.  

:sick::sick::sick:

1 minute ago, transam said:

Extractor fan over the hob and keep the kitchen door closed.....:stoner:

Works a treat at our place....

Get a  Wife who doesnt  cook and also lives 220km away most of the time........worked for me

Sounds like a no win situation to me.

A diivorce, a new,  younger, lady and a new home would be a winner.

If she doesn't care about your feelings, she may have something new supply on the side herself.

For most, marriage today with all the better dealers, is a bit of a joke in my opinion.

Most women today bring nothing to the table, have their hands out, complaint, are disrespectful and a royal pain in the ass!

Man up and good luck!  :partytime2:

About Foreign food stinking ....I'm afraid she's right.
In one of my past lives I drove a Taxi. You would not believe how much it stank (stunk, whatever tickles your fancy) out the car when the pubs closed and the punters came in with their " take away" fish and chips or burgers. 
  Maybe only myself smelt it as I was the only sober one in the car.

Good to hear a counter comment/example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Older farang male marries Thai woman without understanding much about her culture. Expects her to adapt to his ways but is less willing to reciprocate, sadly a common occurance. Either get a home with a kitchen partly outside, become acculturated or join the line of couples who are unsuited to each other.