Triple T Broadband Public Company Limited phone services – sold out

cyberfarang

I am probably one of the very few these days who still use a landline. For years my phone company has been Triple T or better known as, TTT, although the bill has been paid to TOT for about the last 5 years.

2 weeks ago I was no longer able to dial out on my landline, only received the busy tone and not able to receive calls on the line. Went into my local TOT shop and was told; TOT have taken over all TTT landlines and until the transaction is complete all landlines are suspended. The lady could not tell me when normal services will be restored.

So could this the end of landline phone services in Chiang Mai?

Ours was the opposite - if I understand you correctly. That is to say ours (TOT) was taken over by TTT about 3 months ago. When I went to the TOT office to see what the problem was, I was told "TOT leased the lines from TTT for 25 years and now all Chaing Mai numbers are taken and are in big demand by many businesses and some private parties." She said many businesses are having to use Lamphun numbers which means that it is a toll call to call a business which may even be across the street and it is a big problem. They did however, give us the last 2 months service for free for the inconvenience. So yeah, like you we have the telephones throughout the house that have a signal but we can't make or receive calls!

But unlike you - we can not get the number back again. It was our number for 11 years.

Edited by elektrified

40 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Ours was the opposite - if I understand you correctly. That is to say ours (TOT) was taken over by TTT about 3 months ago. When I went to the TOT office to see what the problem was, I was told "TOT leased the lines from TTT for 25 years and now all Chaing Mai numbers are taken and are in big demand by many businesses and some private parties." She said many businesses are having to use Lamphun numbers which means that it is a toll call to call a business which may even be across the street and it is a big problem. They did however, give us the last 2 months service for free for the inconvenience. So yeah, like you we have the telephones throughout the house that have a signal but we can't make or receive calls!

But unlike you - we can not get the number back again. It was our number for 11 years.

This being Thailand I have become used to all the BS stories by staff in services that don`t seem to have a clue what is going on and neither do I. Received my last phone bill yesterday for 30 baht and it seems I also have not been charged for last months phone bill.

Were you told by the TOT staff that your phone number has been discontinued for you?

My girlfriend just informed me that she received a letter from TOT. It explains that TTT are in receivership and TOT are taking over the business and phone lines will be resumed once they have completed the takeover. So again I ask; who informed you your phone number is being discontinued, because it seems you are misinformed,

Here is a copy of the letter that unfortunately is in Thai and I have no means of translating it.

Infomation.jpg

Edited by cyberfarang

14 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

This being Thailand I have become used to all the BS stories by staff in services that don`t seem to have a clue what is going on and neither do I. Received my last phone bill yesterday for 30 baht and it seems I also have not been charged for last months phone bill.

Were you told by the TOT staff that your phone number has been discontinued for you?

Yes, the wife called and was told that when we opened our account 11 years ago that we signed a document acknowledging that the line was leased, not owned by TOT, and could be revoked at any time.

Wow, 30 Baht is cheap. I believe our bill was 130 per month plus another 30 Baht for the caller ID. Or maybe it was 130 total. Actually, I forget now.

So now we use mobiles....

13 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

My girlfriend just informed me that she received a letter from TOT. It explains that TTT are in receivership and TOT are taking over the business and phone lines will be resumed once they have completed the takeover. So again I ask; who informed you your phone number is being discontinued, because it seems you are misinformed,

Here is a copy of the letter that unfortunately is in Thai and I have no means of translating it.

Like I said, our situation is a little different. The line was leased from TTT for 25 years and now that lease is at about 21 years and they have the right to revoke it. Apparently we agreed when we opened the account. They say they have the document in their files.

On 02/04/2017 at 10:45 AM, elektrified said:

Like I said, our situation is a little different. The line was leased from TTT for 25 years and now that lease is at about 21 years and they have the right to revoke it. Apparently we agreed when we opened the account. They say they have the document in their files.

Our phone line was also initiated with and leased with TTT and was told in writing our number will not be suspended. Not convinced until I see your agreement in writing , sorry, don`t believe it, you are mistaken. What I do wonder if all the land phone lines are going to be discontinued.

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I can think of no reason to have one. Everyone has a mobile for voice, Fax is going the way of the Dodo - about time. Scan docs, sign if need be, send, done.

Are you serious? Mobiles are lousy for calls. And it only costs 3.5 Baht to call anyone in C.M. and you could talk for 10 hours (if you wish) on a landline and only pay 3.5 Baht. Everyone in my wife's family has a landline.

7 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Our phone line was also initiated with and leased with TTT and was told in writing our number will not be suspended. Not convinced until I see your agreement in writing , sorry, don`t believe it, you are mistaken. What I do wonder if all the land phone lines are going to be discontinued.

Don't know but we are long past it at this point.

7 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

What I do wonder if all the land phone lines are going to be discontinued.

I do know that there is a shortage of C.M. numbers and that they can only issue Lamphun 052 numbers right now, which are a toll. A friend who opened a new business has been dealing with this very issue.

6 hours ago, elektrified said:

Are you serious? Mobiles are lousy for calls. And it only costs 3.5 Baht to call anyone in C.M. and you could talk for 10 hours (if you wish) on a landline and only pay 3.5 Baht. Everyone in my wife's family has a landline.

When dinosaurs roamed the earth. Put 1000 baht on my fone in October. Still got 200 something left.

13 hours ago, elektrified said:

Definitely. The sound quality on landlines is way superior to the sound quality on mobiles, especially for people who are a little hard of hearing, unlimited time for just over 3 baht on local calls, no batteries to keep charging,  no sim cards, and unlike mobiles, landlines never go outdated, our phone is 18 years old and still going strong. As you say and I`m with you all the way on this, the sound quality on mobile phones is crap, with signals quite often breaking up and the batteries dying out in-between phone calls. Last week my girlfriend was talking to her friend for 5 hours on our land line all for 3. 5 baht, not possible on a mobile because the battery would drain. Only advantage of a cell phone is that calls can be made and received outdoors.. Also my elderly mother has a land line in England, it`s the only way I can communicate with her besides snail mail as she could never use the internet, she is slightly deaf, eyesight failing and cannot use a computer or a cell phone and I know of people in similar situations.  

My gripe is; dinosaur or not, I don`t like having these options forcibly taken away, especially when this so called progress is more expensive and of interior quality.

They make mobiles for people with handicaps - more volume, larger keyboards. Bought one for the MIL - who is 85 and uses it just fine. Some must long for the days of party lines and operator assisted long distance. As well as sailing ships - which were also forcibly replaced.

10 hours ago, canthai55 said:

They make mobiles for people with handicaps - more volume, larger keyboards. Bought one for the MIL - who is 85 and uses it just fine. Some must long for the days of party lines and operator assisted long distance. As well as sailing ships - which were also forcibly replaced.

Land lines will never be replaced. Demand is way too high.

10 hours ago, canthai55 said:

For what I see every time I go out, in restaurants, in stores, on public transport and people even walking along the street, they have cell phones in hand. I am positive they have their mobile phones surgically attached to their hands because they seem unable to put them down and stop fiddling with them. For many people cell phones have not become a necessity but rather an addiction. Probably giving minute by minute updates of what they are doing onto their facebooks. Nothing is more irritating then being out and in close proximity of people talking full blast into their phones, especially in restaurants or on public transport when you become a captive audience.  The Americans are the worse, their deep booming voices that really grates on the nerves.

One time I was queuing in the bank and a loud mouthed Yank was standing behind me shouting full blast into his phone, like literally only a foot away from head. The urge to shout; SHUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT your F**king mouth was becoming overwhelming. I was wishing the ground beneath him would open and swallow him up.

I tried to cancel my TT&T phone at the TOT office on Klang where I paid my bill annually.  They would not accept the cancellation and sent me to a small TT&T office in Naklua who wanted me to take their form back to TOT to complete the disconnect

I walked out and told them to send the form to TOT because I wan't wasting any more time with them...

One more "concession" that has bit the dust in the land of concessions.  Whenever a Thai company claims that another Thai company is their "sister" company watch out because incest is not far behind 

It appears some clarification is required on this issue.  TOT is owned by the Government of Thailand, and is not/can not be/will not be bankrupt.

TTT is a private company who provide(d) internet services in Thailand.  TTT leases space on cables from TOT and piggy-backs on TOT's agreements with the utility companies (the PEA's) on usage of power poles/columns for  hanging wires.  TTT also leases some internet bandwidth from TOT (separate and within the agreements with CAT.

TTT originally went bankrupt 4 years ago; resulting in TOT having to take over many of TTT's services, especially in eastern Chiang Mai and western Chiang Rai.  TTT operated under receivership since that time, but last week, finally threw-in the towel when the receiver could not meet the first quarter's obligations (mostly to TOT).

I am advised TOT is not obligated to continue TTT's services but MAY do so for some TTT subscribers.