Merkel says migrants must respect tolerance, German laws

webfact

Merkel says migrants must respect tolerance, German laws

By Michael Nienaber

REUTERS

r6.jpg

German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Malta, March 30, 2017. REUTERS/Darrin Zammit Lupi

BERLIN (Reuters) - Chancellor Angela Merkel said refugees in Germany must respect tolerance, openness and freedom of religion, while senior members of her party called for a ban on foreign funding of mosques.

Merkel, who will seek a fourth term as chancellor in what is expected to be a tight election in September, has come under fire for allowing more than one million refugees to enter Germany over the past two years.

Interviewed by a Syrian journalist who came to Germany in 2015 and asked about what Germany was expecting from refugees, Merkel said in her weekly podcast:

"We expect the people who come to us to stick to our laws."

Merkel said it was paramount that new arrivals respected and understood the liberal values of modern Germany such as tolerance, openness, freedom of religion and freedom of opinion.

The centre-right leader urged Germans to show openness in return. "We know very few things about Syria, we know very few things about Iraq or African countries. And we must see this as an opportunity to learn more and experience more," she said.

Merkel's conservative Christian Democratic Union (CDU) party has lost support since her decision in 2015 to leave Germany's borders open for hundreds of thousands refugees fleeing the civil war in Syria and Iraq.

Immigration and security are set to be major issues in the election, in which the far-right, anti-immigrant Alternative for Germany (AfD) party is expected to enter parliament.

In an apparent attempt to address unease among traditional CDU voters over Merkel's migration policy, CDU deputy party leader Julia Kloeckner called for stricter rules for Islamic preachers and a ban on foreign funding of mosques, echoing comments by other senior CDU members in recent days.

Most of the four million Muslims living in Germany have a Turkish background and some mosques in Germany are financed by the Turkish government.

"An 'Islam law' can place the rights and duties of Muslims living in Germany on a new legal basis," Kloeckner told Bild am Sonntag.

Kloeckner also called for a public register that would list all mosques in Germany and provide background information on sponsors and financiers.

Such rules should also include a right to a Muslim religious counsellor in prisons, hospitals and nursing homes, she added.

The CDU's coalition partner and rival party the SPD, whose new leader Martin Schulz will stand against Merkel in September's election, flatly rejected the idea.

"In my opinion, the proposals are hardly compatible with the German constitution," SPD deputy leader Olaf Scholz told the Funke media group, adding that a law could not only be made for a single religious community.

The chairman of the Islamic Council in Germany, Burhan Kesici, said the proposals were populist and put Muslims under blanket suspicion.

(Reporting by Michael Nienaber; Editing by Susan Fenton)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-03

She's already left the barn doors open - for every type of vertebrate to enter.  Now she wants them all to be good boys and girls.  If only 1 out of every 200 of their children grow up to be rapists or Islamist extremists, there are problems looming for Germany.

There's a strange trend going on in Sweden with immigrants:   More than a few times, when a migrant family fails to qualify for asylum and is formally told to leave, this is what happens:  One of their children, usually about 13 years, goes in to a coma-like state.  They become bed-ridden and sleeplike, non-responsive, must be tube-fed, and sometimes have an oxygen tube put in their nose in order not to asphyxiate.   It's no joke.   The kids stay in that coma-like state, sometimes for months, and don't snap out of it, even when they're told that state policy reversed the status of their family, and they're allowed to stay.

npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/03/30/521958505/only-in-sweden-hundreds-of-refugee-children-gave-up-on-life

I hope this trend doesn't spread to other places.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"We know very few things about Syria, we know very few things about Iraq or African countries. And we must see this as an opportunity to learn more and experience more," she said.

Angela Merkel, who wants Germans to experience more of that culture, while she herself is shielded by bodyguards  who prevent that culture from reaching her.

15 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Angela Merkel, who wants Germans to experience more of that culture, while she herself is shielded by bodyguards  who prevent that culture from reaching her.

Mrs. Merkel can't understand why the whole world simply doesn't do as she says. She gets hugs, kisses and praise from selected refugees who say very nice things from her. She enjoys very good personal protection from bodyguards and enjoys a life of special treatment. Even after politics she is very wealthy and will always be afforded special protection from the state.

But of course, she doesn't think that's any different from all other citizens. Her communist background makes her believe all are equal and equally treated 555!

She has no idea about the reality going on in her own country or how her actions have affected some citizens.

Germany should wake up and understand that the Muslims do not blend in with the German society, instead they build their Mosques, and develop their areas, with signs in Arabic in neioghbourhoods, and live in these large muslim neighbourhoods, later when they get majority in the area, they will demand their own style of

governing their areas.  That is their way.  No  Blending.

Good Luck Germany and indeed Europe in general, you will all need it.

Geezer

Its Merkel"s fault in the First place to let all these undesirables in in the first place , they will never accept any law but Sharia . Ever since Merkel allowed them in there has been only  Rape and Violence that is all these people seem to do against Westerners . I only hope , although it being too late , that Merkel is defeated at the next Election . She has caused too much Damage to the Western World that will possibly not be rectified.

39 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Germany should wake up and understand that the Muslims do not blend in with the German society, instead they build their Mosques, and develop their areas, with signs in Arabic in neioghbourhoods, and live in these large muslim neighbourhoods, later when they get majority in the area, they will demand their own style of

Geezer

Germany has had a large Turkish population for about 40 years. They seem to have adapted to life in Germany. 

24 minutes ago, ROGER DUNN said:

Its Merkel"s fault in the First place to let all these undesirables in in the first place , they will never accept any law but Sharia . Ever since Merkel allowed them in there has been only  Rape and Violence that is all these people seem to do against Westerners . I only hope , although it being too late , that Merkel is defeated at the next Election . She has caused too much Damage to the Western World that will possibly not be rectified.

"There has been only rape and violence"

What nonsense. Unless of course, you have actual statistics to back that up. Which you don't.

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Germany has had a large Turkish population for about 40 years. They seem to have adapted to life in Germany. 

I agree.

There's nothing wrong with allowing genuine refugees into another country, as long as there are proper containment measures in place and/or the numbers are small and they are properly 'vetted'.

Unfortunately this has not been the case recently.

just one example of what these illega freeloaders cash in on social welfare in a german town of montabour a muslim syrian arrived with his 4 wifes and 23 kids receiving annual welfare benefits euro 370.000. they came in from greece a safe country.

wbr

roobaa01

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Many Turkish immigrants are very well integrated, to the point that they don't think that mass uncontrolled immigration is a good idea.

However 80% of Turkish immigrants in Germany live from social welfare (four wives, 10 kids for instance), 70% of their kids leave school before finishing and their first language is Turkish. 50% of them think that Sharia law should be more important than the law of the land that they are living in. And so on.

You want problems? Continue, and continue to tell Germans that they are evil people, wondering why right wing extremists begin popping up everywhere.

Demography suggests that by 2050, Germany, like Denmark, will be a majority Muslim state.

2 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

just one example of what these illega freeloaders cash in on social welfare in a german town of montabour a muslim syrian arrived with his 4 wifes and 23 kids receiving annual welfare benefits euro 370.000. they came in from greece a safe country.

wbr

roobaa01

I've no idea whether this is true or not, but if true its one example of why 'vetting' is so necessary.

More than one wife?  You're not allowed in as its against the law in the arrivee country.

@dick dasterdly  if you spoke german i could pass on a link to you.

here some figures of freeloaders receiving social welfare called hartz4 2015 turks 298.000, syrians 245.000, afghans 80.000, iraquies 35.000 etc

the figures 2016 are far worse as 550.000 syrians have entered germoney.

wbr roobaa01

4 hours ago, cooked said:

Many Turkish immigrants are very well integrated, to the point that they don't think that mass uncontrolled immigration is a good idea.

However 80% of Turkish immigrants in Germany live from social welfare (four wives, 10 kids for instance), 70% of their kids leave school before finishing and their first language is Turkish. 50% of them think that Sharia law should be more important than the law of the land that they are living in. And so on.

You want problems? Continue, and continue to tell Germans that they are evil people, wondering why right wing extremists begin popping up everywhere.

Demography suggests that by 2050, Germany, like Denmark, will be a majority Muslim state.

Really? 80% of Turkish immigrants in Germay live from social welfare?  Where did you find this fake fact?

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I've no idea whether this is true or not, but if true its one example of why 'vetting' is so necessary.

More than one wife?  You're not allowed in as its against the law in the arrivee country.

Not legally but he is supporting four women.

2 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

@dick dasterdly  if you spoke german i could pass on a link to you.

here some figures of freeloaders receiving social welfare called hartz4 2015 turks 298.000, syrians 245.000, afghans 80.000, iraquies 35.000 etc

the figures 2016 are far worse as 550.000 syrians have entered germoney.

wbr roobaa01

pass on the link anyway. there's always translate.google.com

21 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Really? 80% of Turkish immigrants in Germay live from social welfare?  Where did you find this fake fact?

Here's one: http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/183720/80-turkish-muslim-settlers-germany-live-welfare-daniel-greenfield

which of course you will immediately dismiss as right wing propaganda.

I did find another reference saying that 23% of Turks in Germany are out of work, compared with 10% of Germans, which doesn't necessarily contradict the above figure, I imagine that each unemployed Turk supports a large family.

11 minutes ago, cooked said:

Here's one: http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/183720/80-turkish-muslim-settlers-germany-live-welfare-daniel-greenfield

which of course you will immediately dismiss as right wing propaganda.

I did find another reference saying that 23% of Turks in Germany are out of work, compared with 10% of Germans, which doesn't necessarily contradict the above figure, I imagine that each unemployed Turk supports a large family.

So, let me get this straight.  23 percent of turks are out of work so it seems plausible to you that 80 percent of turks are dependent on social welfare because turks have large families?

Really?  If that's the case, that means that the 77% of turks who are working have either very small families or no families at all.

And yes, Frontpage mag is a garbage publication. And it links to an article where the author gives that figure but cites no source. And if roobaa01's figures are accurate, an obvious falsehood.

9 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Geezer

Like the British/Euros do in various countries they invade for holidays.  Pattaya.  Fish and chips anyone?  :laugh:

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

So, let me get this straight.  23 percent of turks are out of work so it seems plausible to you that 80 percent of turks are dependent on social welfare because turks have large families?

Really?  If that's the case, that means that the 77% of turks who are working have either very small families or no families at all.

And yes, Frontpage mag is a garbage publication. And it links to an article where the author gives that figure but cites no source. And if roobaa01's figures are accurate, an obvious falsehood.

Have you visited Germany and Denmark recently?

Your maths don't work.

Google it for yourself. I did. http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publications/detail/turks-in-germany-are-a-time-bomb

15 hours ago, cooked said:

Are you able to provide government published data to back up your claims? Another poster who claims knowledge of the Turkish population in Germany quotes very different figures to you. In addition if so many, according to your numbers, are happily living in Germany off welfare, why have 4 million Turks departed Germany to live in Turkey.  (figure from German Embassy in Turkey).

Yes you do use highly biased sources for your info such as SAMI ALRABAA .

Edited by simple1

4 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Are you able to provide government published data to back up your claims? As for example, another poster who claims knowledge of the Turkish population in Germany says there are approx 270k Turks on welfare. In addition if so many, according to your unsupported numbers are happily living in Germany off welfare, why have 4 million Turks (figure from German Embassy in Turkey) returned to live  in Germany.

I don't understand your post, maybe you wrote a little hastily. (?returned to live in Turkey? They would be taking their pension with them>>)

Maybe my figures are wrong, I was surprised myself when I found them. If they are correct, judging by past events the German government certainly wouldn't report them. That would be racist. And Islamophobic.

The fact remains that Turks are not integrated into the German way of life and don't want to be.

Just now, cooked said:

I don't understand your post, maybe you wrote a little hastily. (?returned to live in Turkey? They would be taking their pension with them>>)

Maybe my figures are wrong, I was surprised myself when I found them. If they are correct, judging by past events the German government certainly wouldn't report them. That would be racist. And Islamophobic.

The fact remains that Turks are not integrated into the German way of life and don't want to be.

Updated my post. Sorry so far as I'm concerned you subscribe to very bigoted news / blog sources, so anything you say further I'll ignore, unless government publications. I find it interesting people of your persuasion never talk to factors that contribute to lack of integration such as discrimination and the massive flow of vilification content.

Vilification is not a recent phenomenon, I recall back in the 60s in the UK the practice of Paki bashing which led to the formation of Pakistani / Bangladeshi gangs and eventually political extremism. Of course these days there are added complications, though for the life of me I cannot see any positives from the constant generalised bashing / vilification that is so prevalent in social media and on this forum.  I note in today's news a Jewish centre has been closed in Sweden due to threats from the extreme right. Hopefully, one day people will wake up & comprehend the threat and cease supporting right of centre groups. 

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Updated my post. Sorry so far as I'm concerned you subscribe to very bigoted news / blog sources, so anything you say further I'll ignore, unless government publications. I find it interesting people of your persuasion never talk to factors that contribute to lack of integration such as discrimination and the massive flow of vilification content.

Vilification is not a recent phenomenon, I recall back in the 60s in the UK the practice of Paki bashing which led to the formation of Pakistani / Bangladeshi gangs and eventually political extremism. Of course these days there are added complications, though for the life of me I cannot see any positives from the constant generalised bashing / vilification that is so prevalent in social media and on this forum.  I note in today's news a Jewish centre has been closed in Sweden due to threats from the extreme right. Hopefully, one day people will wake up & comprehend the threat and cease supporting right of centre groups. 

I do NOT subscribe to bigoted sources and I already indicated that maybe the figures were unsound.

Paki bashing? I remember. I remember why that started also, not that it was justified. My home town , where as a kid I never saw anyone that wasn't English, is now a place where white Britons are a minority. It isn't working well.

Erdogan tells the Turks in Germany NOT to integrate. Regularly. Third generation Turks can't use German correctly. This isn't taken from a blog that you will consider as right wing but from personal experience. 

Germany will likely be a Muslim majority country around 2050. Apparently you think that's OK.

It's OK, don't answer unless you can do it using words like bigot, racist, extremist.

2 minutes ago, cooked said:

<snip>

Germany will likely be a Muslim majority country around 2050. Apparently you think that's OK.

It's OK, don't answer unless you can do it using words like bigot, racist, extremist.

Actually I don't think it's OK. The use of the year 2050 is a fabricated figure used by the 'right of centre' and proven nonsense by the likes of Pew Research and  a number of other sources.