Deposit from apartment

Technically no, thats what the deposit is for so you dont skip on the lease.You could always try and find a new tenant to move in and the landlord may give back deposit, or the landlord transfers the deposit and the new tenant pays you. Or you could be a bad tenant and not pay rent for 2 months then leave.

Technically no, thats what the deposit is for so you dont skip on the lease.You could always try and find a new tenant to move in and the landlord may give back deposit, or the landlord transfers the deposit and the new tenant pays you. Or you could be a bad tenant and not pay rent for 2 months then leave.

If I become a bad tenant, i will be in a trouble in the airport or I am not allowed to come back Thailand forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Generally speaking you are required to give 1 mths notice

I leased a unit sometime ago now& didn't realize this so gave the front man a 1000 bht but also in doing so i made the place spotless prior to leaving only to find out that i had to pay 500 bht for cleaning in my exit

This was in Silomn center of BKK

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:09 PM, nanasoon said:

If I become a bad tenant, i will be in a trouble in the airport or I am not allowed to come back Thailand forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Not a chance.

This threat is not unusual.

Neither the airport or immigration are interested in small internal affairs.

That said -I think that you should honour that which you have signed up to

You should always pay your bills, honour your contracts. One day it will come back and haunt you..Not worth saving a few thousand ฿..

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Lol> you sound like my wife who also believes there's some invisible force of good & evil balancing out the score. There isn't. Good people often suffer while evil people prosper. In fact I think bad people overall do better in life.

In Thailand you're better off erring on the side of caution and assuming that you won't get the bond back. It's too easy for them to keep it. There's no 3rd party association protecting tenants' interests here. What are you going to do if they say no? How lucky do you feel? It's always a gamble but you're not holding the cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Lol> you sound like my wife who also believes there's some invisible force of good & evil balancing out the score. There isn't. Good people often suffer while evil people prosper. In fact I think bad people overall do better in life

Lol, so you believe there is an invisible force favoring evil? Geez, im gonna start doing bad stuff, cant wait to climb up the ladder and finally prosper..Thanks for the hot tip, buddy...[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Lol, so you believe there is an invisible force favoring evil? Geez, im gonna start doing bad stuff, cant wait to climb up the ladder and finally prosper..Thanks for the hot tip, buddy...[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

No, I don't believe in invisible forces keeping score but you obviously do. Read it again. Evil prosper for other reasons. Do l need to spell them out?

23 hours ago, tropo said:

Lol> you sound like my wife who also believes there's some invisible force of good & evil balancing out the score. There isn't. Good people often suffer while evil people prosper. In fact I think bad people overall do better in life.

In Thailand you're better off erring on the side of caution and assuming that you won't get the bond back. It's too easy for them to keep it. There's no 3rd party association protecting tenants' interests here. What are you going to do if they say no? How lucky do you feel? It's always a gamble but you're not holding the cards.

He is breaking his agreement, why should he get the deposit back? Whats the point in signing up to a lease agreement, which stipulates clauses, length of time etc, and no doubt loss of deposit should you break the contract.

What interest would any 3rd party association be protecting? He is breaking his lease agreement, the landlord has every right to keep his deposit if they so wish. 

59 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

He is breaking his agreement, why should he get the deposit back? Whats the point in signing up to a lease agreement, which stipulates clauses, length of time etc, and no doubt loss of deposit should you break the contract.

What interest would any 3rd party association be protecting? He is breaking his lease agreement, the landlord has every right to keep his deposit if they so wish. 

What's the point in signing up to a lease agreement?

None at all. It won't protect you as the landlord holds the money.

That's the point of a "3rd party association". It protects both parties as it holds the security deposits in trust and adjudicates on who gets to keep the deposit or part thereof in the case of a dispute.

Of course, this doesn't exist in Thailand.

So yeah, in the OP's case the landlord will keep the deposit if he breaks the contract.

I was talking about deposits in general and how the tenant is not protected as the landlord holds all the cards.

9 hours ago, tropo said:

What's the point in signing up to a lease agreement?

None at all. It won't protect you as the landlord holds the money.

That's the point of a "3rd party association". It protects both parties as it holds the security deposits in trust and adjudicates on who gets to keep the deposit or part thereof in the case of a dispute.

Of course, this doesn't exist in Thailand.

So yeah, in the OP's case the landlord will keep the deposit if he breaks the contract.

I was talking about deposits in general and how the tenant is not protected as the landlord holds all the cards.

Where have you had a neutral 3rd party association which holds the deposit and adjudicates on disputes? 

Many Thai landlords make you pay for stuff when something goes wrong in your apartment. I once asked jokingly if I should take a pipe I had replaced in my apartment when I left, since it was mine and I paid for it. Nobody got it. In any case, I think this mindset says it all, most landlords are sort of out of touch and yeah a lot of nefarious stuff can happen with your deposit, which is super annoying. 

Edited by utalkin2me