Two day midweek umbrella ban and no food as Pattaya beaches "returned to tourists"

webfact

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, KenKadz said:

Might leave the umbrellas and seating packed up until a customer makes a request then unpack one.

No request, No unpacking, plenty of open beach for everyone.

Your right 60 % of those beach chairs are always empty. 

51 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

This is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Maybe they need to all be the same colour.

il_fullxfull.1052437128_dgrb.jpg

According to who?? Looks like a hideous Euro beach. Give me beautiful sand dunes, long expansion of pristine beach, no hotels or housing on the beaches edge and a lone lighthouse in the background. Ever see beaches on Cape Cod national seashore?  That pic is gross! 

7 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

According to who?? Looks like a hideous Euro beach. Give me beautiful sand dunes, long expansion of pristine beach, no hotels or housing on the beaches edge and a lone lighthouse in the background. Ever see beaches on Cape Cod national seashore?  That pic is gross! 

Yes I have seen the beaches on Cape Cod. If your talking about beaches then Australia blows every country I know of away. But that's not what this topic is about. Its about what the tourists want. If you think tourists want to sit on the beach then that's your opinion. But I think most prefer a chair, a table, an umbrella and some nice food and drink. You think that's gross? There is so many more things gross in Pattaya than umbrellas.

Edited by Toshiba66

1 minute ago, Toshiba66 said:

Yes I have seen the beaches on Cape Cod. If your talking about beaches then Australia blows every country I know of away. But that's not what this topic is about. Its about what the tourists want. If you think tourists want to sit on the beach then that's your opinion. But I think most prefer a chair, a table, an umbrella and some nice food and drink.

Many many tourists just bring a towel or blanket and some of their own snacks or go to the clam shack near the beach parking lot and if they want an umbrella they bring their own. It's not heavy even for an old man to carry. Again just like the nicer beaches in AUS, Hawaii, Thailand or Cape Cod.  I mean really most prefer a table?  Why not bring a couch and 70 inch TV!! 

It's obvious they want to force all vendors off the beaches and surrounding areas in time.

A few more rules; more headaches for them, and they will all be gone.

More job losses, more crime and citizens will be retreating back to their villages as they are now.

Traditional Thailand is slowly evaporating.

It's very sad to see all the changes and tear down of historic entertainment areas that attracted many millions of foreigners to Thailand for over 50 years.

It has to be sad for the tourists who come here every year as well. :sad:

Many of my expat friends and Thai friends have already left Bangkok and Pattaya because of job losses and retreating cash flows.

In time will many of the same tourists and expats return?

Edited by Kabula

13 minutes ago, Kabula said:

It's obvious they want to force all vendors off the beaches and surrounding areas in time.

A few more rules; more headaches for them, and they will all be gone.

More job losses, more crime and citizens will be retreating back to their villages.

Traditional Thailand is slowly evaporating.

It's all very sad to see the changes both in Bangkok and Pattaya for me. It has to be sad for the tourists who come here every year. :sad:

Many of my Expat friends have already left.

Nothing Lasts Forever

Edited by Slaps

These THAIVISA forums are great for allowing us the freedom  of speech.

We can agree to disagree. On that note:

* I have had visitors over the past 14 years here ,  who also frequent Jamaica and other islands in that area. They were pleasantly surprised how polite the Thai vendors are at taking NO for an answer compared to the West Indies beach vendors. A polite "Mai ow, khap" works every time for me. 

* The Lady & her son who operates the Chairs/Umbrellas where I go once or twice a week in Jomtien for a "sundowner" are very polite and offers great service.  They wait to be called and don't hassle. Reducing their chance to earn a weekly income by  first 15%  and now almost 30% is outrageous. I'm sure the "rent" they pay to operate those spaces will not be reduced .  Tourists have the choice already to sit in the sun , on sand ,  or under an umbrella in a chair for a modest fee. Why does this government feel that it has to deny this service? What does it accomplish ? 

* The chair operators are the ones who do the most for keeping the beach clean on a DAILY basis. I walk Jomtien beach early in the morning and these folks are raking up float-some and jet-some of all kinds that are tossed into the ocean and wash up on our beaches. If not for the chair vendors , this garbage would pile up and sit there for a week until the city crew get around to a half hearted raking. 

* The vendors who walk all day up and down the sandy beaches (try that sometime) with heavy trays of food,   to earn a polite and honest paltry wage ,  might now well be forced to consider other sources of income , like crime , in order to feed their families !

* Making the "rights to the plots of beach" rotate on a yearly basis will encourage more greed to make a fast buck. Besides, the most populated chairs are not necessarily in the best location. They are popular because of the good service they offer. 

* As we used to say - "If it ain't broke - don't fix it!"

Pattaya is not like Brighton where a knotted handkerchief will do. There has always been plenty of space in front of the umbrellas when I have been there for any other beach activities so I cannot understand the thinking behind this move.

5 hours ago, CliffH said:

Things for the visitor to do in Pattaya on Wednesdays and Thursdays....

1)  Sit on the beach where there is virtually no shade and get fried

2)  Walk aimlessly around shopping malls

3)  Sit in a bar and get drunk

4)  Sit in the hotel room

Is there anything else you can do in Pattaya?

Is there anything else to do at any beach resort... sounds like you've actually named them all.

Avoid it like the (Black Death) plague.

The umbrellas and chairs and food are the only good things on Pattaya

Beach....The water is too filthy to swim in...The beach has very little

shade to offer and is in poor shape.....

Edited by fforest1

Floating Village For You

Edited by Slaps

People may say they only want to go to the beach to sit under an umbrella to eat and drink and admire the hard working Thai making a living! If you go across the street you can sit in the open restaurants and bars with proper facilities. Just saying let the beach be a beach and the restaurant/bar be a restaurant/bar. It would be good for the tourism industry to reclaim the beaches and a lot prettier to look at.

Do they want to further drive tourism away from Pattaya by saying we are closed for business two days a week, instead of one? I usually go to Pattaya 2 or 3 times a year from Bangkok, and enjoy the peace and tranquillity of sitting on a beach chair, having a table to put my beer on, and possibly eating some food. The beach traders take away the rubbish, so no litter on the beach. 

The bureaucrats are going backwards, and not improving anything for the tourist. Who comes up with this ideology,  with stupidity anyway? Currently one day a week break works well. The beach traders get a well deserved day off.  But banning all food sales on the beach is absolutely ludicrous. 

31 minutes ago, just.a.thought said:

People may say they only want to go to the beach to sit under an umbrella to eat and drink and admire the hard working Thai making a living! If you go across the street you can sit in the open restaurants and bars with proper facilities. Just saying let the beach be a beach and the restaurant/bar be a restaurant/bar. It would be good for the tourism industry to reclaim the beaches and a lot prettier to look at.

We are not talking about a tropical paradise....Pattaya beach is a run

down trashed-out beach with very polluted dirty water....

There is nothing to admire about Pattaya beach...

Like I said before the umbrellas and beach chairs are the only good

thing about Pattaya beach...

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

Actually if you do not rent an umbrella from the trucks parked on the promenaded you will probably get sand kicked in you face...  

Complete and utter rubbish, with respect.

25 minutes ago, champers said:

The restaurants cook the meals for people sat on the beach.

BS,  They cook the odd meal,

They don't cook the food that's paraded up and down the beach all day,

The bars and restaurants want it back,

Go and talk to them

Edited by Slaps

8 hours ago, CliffH said:

Yes, of cause: Do exactly that, what people are supposed to do according to the British press ;-)

- seems, they don't take the conversion into a family beach resort to serious LOL

2 hours ago, just.a.thought said:

you aren't by chance a bar or restaurant owner ?  ;-)

Dumb, dumb, dumb.  Most tourists don't pack beach chairs and beach umbrellas.  It was dumb banning them on Wednesdays; it's even dumber adding Thursday.  Instead, have some permanent designated open areas and some permanent areas for chairs and umbrellas.  And, keep the food.  Good grief, this isn't brain surgery.  Do something useful, instead, and work on the dreadful sidewalks.  They are awful on Pattaya 2nd Road in the Hard Rock Hotel area and even worse in south Pattaya by HISO Hotel. 

1 hour ago, Slaps said:

BS,  They cook the odd meal,

They don't cook the food that's paraded up and down the beach all day,

The bars and restaurants want it back,

Go and talk to them

If u order some menu food while seated at one of the beach chair umbrella rental guys then the food indeed comes from one of the restaurants from across the street.where else does it comes from did u see any kitchen on the beach duh!

The ladies walking with fried shrimp i dont know where that comes from but i never order food that possibily has been  in the sun for hours.

1 minute ago, newnative said:

Dumb, dumb, dumb.  Most tourists don't pack beach chairs and beach umbrellas.  It was dumb banning them on Wednesdays; it's even dumber adding Thursday.  Instead, have some permanent designated open areas and some permanent areas for chairs and umbrellas.  And, keep the food.  Good grief, this isn't brain surgery.  Do something useful, instead, and work on the dreadful sidewalks.  They are awful on Pattaya 2nd Road in the Hard Rock Hotel area and even worse in south Pattaya by HISO Hotel. 

Hi Newative inregard with your ongoing requests for wider sidewalks for a fast result u could consider just to relocate to a part of the town with acceptable wide enough sidewalks already..