British workers encouraged to retire to Thailand after Brexit and snap up a £60k 20-year residency permit

webfact

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I just renewed my retirement visa at a cost of 14,500 baht. I dropped my passport in to a shop with two photos and got my passport with visa back two days later.

Why I would be possessed to spend utterly stupid money to save me ten minutes every year is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure the 5,10,20 year folks still have to do a 90 day report.

The cost of a retirement visa renewal is 1,900 baht. Why did YOU pay utterly stupid money? 

To all those who have been questioning why I paid 14,500 baht to renew my retirement visa I give you the following.

1. I never go to immigration. I always get someone to go do it for me. For everything. Biggest reason for that is this" https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/977355-huge-queue-at-pattaya-immigration-this-morning/#comment-11778767

2. I am some years from qualifying for my UK State pension, so am currently only on a single private one.

This does not give me the required income needed and I don't have 800K in the bank. (Yet. Close, but not quite.)

So, I spent 14,500, not a couple of grand, but I have my visa. I know a lot of places that would have charged me quite a bit more, so I am happy.

I do the same thing for 90 day reports and re-entry permits and have never had an issue.

I would not dream however, of spending 60,000 quid on a long term one (even if I had it), as I do not trust this place not to change the rules.

Hope that clarifies my position.

Edited by darksidedog

16 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

To all those who have been questioning why I paid 14,500 baht to renew my retirement visa I give you the following.

1. I never go to immigration. I always get someone to go do it for me. For everything. Biggest reason for that is this" https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/977355-huge-queue-at-pattaya-immigration-this-morning/#comment-11778767

2. I am some years from qualifying for my UK State pension, so am currently only on a single private one.

This does not give me the required income needed and I don't have 800K in the bank. (Yet. Close, but not quite.)

So, I spent 14,500, not a couple of grand, but I have my visa. I know a lot of places that would have charged me quite a bit more, so I am happy.

I do the same thing for 90 day reports and re-entry permits and have never had an issue.

I would not dream however, of spending 60,000 quid on a long term one (even if I had it), as I do not trust this place not to change the rules.

Hope that clarifies my position.

well if I were breaking the law I would not be telling the world about it on a public forum, the various visa agents obviously pay a corrupt immigration official to obtain such an extension (not a visa) There is no legal way of getting your extension without the 800k for 3 months and without doing the application yourself.  Under the table deals will not work for ever I suspect. 

Edited by Bundaberg Baxter

10 hours ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

why pay 14,500 for an extension when it's only 1,900? Also by law it has to be done in person, your method appears decidedly dodgy, and expensive.

It's more than 1900 if you include a multiple re-entry permit, as I have to do.

I pay about 12,000 baht a year for an agent to do all the correct paperwork for me. IMHO it's well worth it when you don't have the hassle of waiting for anywhere up to a day, only to have the extension application rejected because you failed to dot some i or cross some t.

It is still done in person, 15 minutes maximum at Immigration for the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

Terrible , same as Australia. But couldn't that have been challenged in Brussels?

Australian pensions for expats are not frozen. They move with CPI changes. The only thing you lose are the supplements.

8 minutes ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

well if I were breaking the law I would not be telling the world about it on a public forum, the various visa agents obviously pay a corrupt immigration official to obtain such an extension (not a visa) There is no legal way of getting your extension without the 800k for 3 months and without doing the application yourself.  Under the table deals will not work for ever I suspect. 

I don't care. Next year I will fulfill all the criteria, but I will still do exactly the same thing with the same guy I have been using for the last 8 years.

Sure, I could get the money in my account right now by selling some shares. but why the hell should I?

And me? I didn't break any laws.. What the visa company does is their issue. I have a perfectly genuine visa in my passport.

For 8 years it has been accepted everywhere, when I go out and come in.

The only reason I explained this was the sheer amount of people asking exactly the same question.

I was getting really bored with the same comment so many times.

I had thought if people stopped and thought about it, they could have worked it out for themselves, but apparently not.

I will happily spend 12,000 extra not to have to find multiple documents and sit in a queue. Others can do as they wish.

3 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I don't care. Next year I will fulfill all the criteria, but I will still do exactly the same thing with the same guy I have been using for the last 8 years.

Sure, I could get the money in my account right now by selling some shares. but why the hell should I?

And me? I didn't break any laws.. What the visa company does is their issue. I have a perfectly genuine visa in my passport.

For 8 years it has been accepted everywhere, when I go out and come in.

The only reason I explained this was the sheer amount of people asking exactly the same question.

I was getting really bored with the same comment so many times.

I had thought if people stopped and thought about it, they could have worked it out for themselves, but apparently not.

I will happily spend 12,000 extra not to have to find multiple documents and sit in a queue. Others can do as they wish.

I have known several guys that do just what you do. And they are pretty well fixed! 

Just don't want the hassle. I am too cheap and do it by the books to save a little. 

No big deal either way IMO.

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Lots of people also have their cars registered in their own name as well, but a lot of expats will say that's not possible as well.

Agreed though registering is not proof of ownership but Foreigners can own cars and I do. It's the girlfriends who are telling them they can't in an attempt to get it purchased through them (often by hire purchase which is more difficult for Farangs) thereby becoming the owners. They often spout the same lie about houses.

I think obtaining an extension by employing an agent to obtain one illegally is breaking the law. In the present climate of good guys in bad guys out I don't think it worth the risk. Years ago people handed over the passports to agents who provided them with new visa run entry stamps, they thought they were being clever as well, until they cracked down on it. 

11 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I did mine a couple of months ago. Buriram Immigration, copy yellow book, copy pink ID card, earnings statement from Embassy (rip off B2500), copy passport and one photo.

In and out 20 mins, fee B1,900.

Job done.

I agree with you. Mine costs about the same. Maybe we are missing something here but GBP60,000 = (say) 2,5000,000 THB. Over 20 years that is 125,000 THB per annum! Or is a house thrown in - and a car?

13 minutes ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

I think obtaining an extension by employing an agent to obtain one illegally is breaking the law. In the present climate of good guys in bad guys out I don't think it worth the risk. Years ago people handed over the passports to agents who provided them with new visa run entry stamps, they thought they were being clever as well, until they cracked down on it. 

Please stop with your assertion that anything about how I obtained my visa is illegal, as it is not.

I used a licensed and approved visa agent. I provided him with exactly what he asked for. He made the application and visa granted.

Your comments suggest you haven't been here very long. This is Thailand.

Some things stink, some things don't. You need to avoid the smells and take advantage of what doesn't.

My visa is every bit as genuine as every other one out there at the end of the day.

I avoided queues. I avoided paperwork. Because I could! And I have done absolutely nothing wrong.

My 90 day reports are done the same way. My re-entry permits are done the same way. I don't like queuing. I pay extra for that, and am happy to do so.

If every visa obtained from a visa agency was illegal, there wouldn't be any visa agencies. Get it?

I add to that, you don't have the first clue who I am, or what I do as a volunteer here, so your good guys/bad guys comment is sad.

Edited by darksidedog

2 hours ago, garzhe said:

1900 baht is for a retirement Visa irrespective of nationality, anyone can apply providing over 50 YO and having 800,000 deposited in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to applying . As regards UK state pensions anyone leaving the UK taking up residency in most countries outside the EU will have their state pension frozen not stopped, never receive any anual increases.  Also loose their right to free national health entitlement after being non resident for over 6 months which they have probably paid in to for all their working lives. After accepting all this most then think they are free from the UKs onerous tax regime, not so, they can still be subject to inheritance tax (Death Duty) at 40% above a tax free limit on worldwide assets if Her Majesties Tax collectors decide  you have not given up your domicile of birth on your demise and you wont be around to argue the case.

B1900 is less tha $60 US

Not many people who have £60K would be lightly to have a state pension. In my country (next to the UK) the state pension is means tested. Plus, if you did have it and wanted to continue drawing it you would have to reside in the UK.,...never mind missing out on any hikes in the pension.

Edited by dotpoom

4 hours ago, Black Ops said:

What you do is get adequate "Insurance".

Yes of course your right but if your one of the over 70 crowd you will find that the premium on the insurance would be the most expensive item on your budget and half would have to pack up and go back home. A lot of local insurance is time relevant and if your on the catastrophic illness list the time clock could run out on your benefits. Yes the insurance companies here will pay but the meter is definitely running. 

Edited by elgordo38

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I just renewed my retirement visa at a cost of 14,500 baht. I dropped my passport in to a shop with two photos and got my passport with visa back two days later.

Why I would be possessed to spend utterly stupid money to save me ten minutes every year is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure the 5,10,20 year folks still have to do a 90 day report.

For years  I have   renewed   my  annual extension of stay  based on retirement  for  1900  Bht  within  2 hours. After  I  go  and  spend  a   couple of  thousand somewhere and  go  home legitimate and  happy.

14,500 Bht?

All Brits living overseas have their pensions frozen and do not have the cost of living increases applied to them. However, we still pay UK taxes on our pensions. This is off course a gross injustice. Typical British legal scamming.

Wrong. ALL Brits living overseas do NOT have their pensions frozen. Do some research before posting please.
Clue : USA/Philippines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Please stop with your assertion that anything about how I obtained my visa is illegal, as it is not.

I used a licensed and approved visa agent. I provided him with exactly what he asked for. He made the application and visa granted.

Your comments suggest you haven't been here very long. This is Thailand.

Some things stink, some things don't. You need to avoid the smells and take advantage of what doesn't.

My visa is every bit as genuine as every other one out there at the end of the day.

I avoided queues. I avoided paperwork. Because I could! And I have done absolutely nothing wrong.

My 90 day reports are done the same way. My re-entry permits are done the same way. I don't like queuing. I pay extra for that, and am happy to do so.

If every visa obtained from a visa agency was illegal, there wouldn't be any visa agencies. Get it?

I add to that, you don't have the first clue who I am, or what I do as a volunteer here, so your good guys/bad guys comment is sad.

I have been here 15 years, being part of everyday corruption does not alter the fact that it is illegal, or if you like bending the rules to put it in it's kindest light. We all know it goes on just like the phony entry visa and the misused ED visas of the past  and back to back visa runs which immigration cracked down on. My point was it's not a good idea talking about it on a public forum as it just makes it more likely to come to the attention of somebody who will do something to stop this abuse as well, as they have a history of doing just that

11 hours ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

why pay 14,500 for an extension when it's only 1,900? Also by law it has to be done in person, your method appears decidedly dodgy, and expensive.

14,500 baht ???? must be a typo surely or as you say decidely dodgy

8 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes of course your right but if your one of the over 70 crowd you will find that the premium on the insurance would be the most expensive item on your budget and half would have to pack up and go back home. A lot of local insurance is time relevant and if your on the catastrophic illness list the time clock could run out on your benefits. Yes the insurance companies here will pay but the meter is definitely running. 

I do understand  your comment. 

However personally  if it  came down to  catasrtophic illness I currently  am of the opinion I would  rather stay put regardless because location  versus outcome  would likely be  similar. Admiittedly  I  have  not yet  experienced  the  catastrophic, only the traumatic,  so in that  event I  may have a  change of  mind. lol

6 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I do understand  your comment. 

However personally  if it  came down to  catasrtophic illness I currently  am of the opinion I would  rather stay put regardless because location  versus outcome  would likely be  similar. Admiittedly  I  have  not yet  experienced  the  catastrophic, only the traumatic,  so in that  event I  may have a  change of  mind. lol

Good answer. I have not even reached the traumatic stage (touch wood)

1 hour ago, Lemonltr said:

Agreed though registering is not proof of ownership but Foreigners can own cars and I do. It's the girlfriends who are telling them they can't in an attempt to get it purchased through them (often by hire purchase which is more difficult for Farangs) thereby becoming the owners. They often spout the same lie about houses.

If it's your name in the blue book it's your car. You're correct about the girl friends though. Seen some of them get really angry when you tell their husband/boyfriend he can buy in his own name.

Mine was bought on HP although that did take WP etc to get it sorted.

Edited by overherebc

Well, I'll assume the unnamed Thai official believes the British are rolling in the "dough" or British Sterling as the case may be.

The "scheme" is quite expensive and really is cost-prohibitive for the majority.

Only the rich can afford to be so frivolous with their cash. Regardless of the false perception that all Falang are rich.

Thailand can use a few more sugar daddies.     

Edited by The Man Who Sold the World