Pattaya woman demands 5,000 baht before she will return iPhone she found in 7/11 saying she's within her rights

webfact

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once she ""REMOVED PROPERTY FROM THE LOCATION WITH THE ....."INTENT"..... TO PROFIT"", it became Stolen property. She could have given to 7-11  manager / employees for 'safe keeping', or taken it to a police station.

2 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Report the "finder" to the police for steeling the Iphone as it was not hers to take from the 7-11 store in the first place! They should also add extortion or what ever it should be as she refuse to give it back even when offered a 1000 Baht "finders fee" and maybe they should add fencing too as she is basically trying to sell stolen goods!

absolutely 100% correct, this is technically theft

The solution for the police is simple, either return the phone (that you took from the shop that did not belong to you) or we will charge you.

Some childish notion of finders keepers does not apply

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

In any normal society she would return the phone and be satisfied she did the "right" thing. Any reward offered by the owner would be a bonus .
But, it would appear we are not in a normal society ☹️

Maybe in other societies the phone just disappears?

i personally think just stealing it outright is better than attempting to justify her extortion.

but ive been here a while so im not right in the head, fine her 5000thb.

karma says shell lose her 300baht phone soon, and have no clue why life is so unfair.

she'll proceed to get drunk and abuse any/everyone while her child watches it all and learns the rules of life.

chai-yooooooo

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Well, personally I would get a huge kick out of returning someone's property to them especially if it was valuable. The smile on their face would be all the reward I would need. 

You are not a Thai buddhist sir.

56 minutes ago, dcsw53 said:

Shame they did not name the bar she works in, it would be useful to boycott the place if they employ dubious characters like this.

The bar girl has lost the phone.

2 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Come on guys. This bar girl is also a lawyer so when she says it is within her rights, she knows what she's talking about! :clap2:

She probably checked with her "friend" at the Police station first 555!

Normally Thais are honest and return valuables, I have experienced that myself several times when I forgot my wallet and sunglasses.

But this is a bargirl in Pattaya, do not pay her one baht. Maybe she is connected with the police since she is so confident. Then I would call the military instead to sort things out.

there was a recent case in the UK were a woman was charged and went to court for theft, she found a 20quid note on the floor of a shop and decided to keep it, she was caught on cctv taking the money

Woman picks up £20 note off floor - and gets charged with THEFT - do a google search

1 hour ago, dcsw53 said:

Shame they did not name the bar she works in, it would be useful to boycott the place if they employ dubious characters like this.

I would think you should just boycott  any bar in Pattaya  if your reason to do so is because they are  employing dubious characters.

how stupid are these people, watching the video this woman is sitting in a police station actually negotiating for the return of her property which is sitting right in front of her and she is being denied, this actually angers me, she should have "immediately" been given her property back and then and only then if she wanted to give the woman a reward after that - up to her, as it stands the police are also committing an offence by withholding the phone...................they just don't seem to get the obvious here - the phone belongs to her end of discussion give it back to the person that owns it 

Any ways to use to retrieve that phone would be useless so declare it lost and erase all info's on it and get a new one with different number and that little smart ass would have a useless phone.

Welcome to Thailand the land of smiles so do not cry and carry on hollidays are nice and short some time.

3 hours ago, onemorechang said:

She removed it from the 7/11

it was not her property , so arrest her for theft.

and charge her also  for extortion. :bah:

extortion would require the element of threats of violence, bodily harm, etc. Don't think it applies here. But theft may very well apply as this iphone became and was the property of the 7-11 when the finder grabbed it, and would remain the property of 7-11 until the rightful owner came forward to claim it, if found on public property, finder is the sole owner until rightful owner claims it. This is all BNA law and may not apply in Thailand though.

Not always.

My wallet fell out of my pocket one night while getting out of the car to open the gate.  Didn't realize it until late next morning.  Checked my iBanking and credit cards, no activity.

One of my wife's friends called and brought our attention to a post on a Thai Facebook page with a photo of my US driver's license!  Turned out to be the Headman in a small village about 10 minutes away.  Went out there, said a local resident found my wallet and turned it in.  Everything still there, including 800 some odd Baht in cash.   Tried to give the Headman a "thanks" presento, he was having none of it.

What?! How dare you spoil a good ol Thai bashing thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

In any normal society she would return the phone and be satisfied she did the "right" thing. Any reward offered by the owner would be a bonus .
But, it would appear we are not in a normal society ☹️

In a Normal society popping it into a postbox would ensure it reached home.

7/11 CCTV would have been my first port of call, providing I knew where I'd lost it. I would then ask them to explain how Joe public could nick it.

I am sure if it had been a St. Ferang who found it they would of spent days tracking the owner down and paid her to take it back cos they are all sooooooo honest :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No, genius. They'd have simply turned it in at the counter. I very much doubt any would be stupid as well as malicious enough to try and hold it for ransom!

Archived