EEA Family Permit

My wife and I will be travelling to Europe this summer.

She has secured her visas for both Ireland - main destination and Italy and Portugal.

We are applying now for a EEA Family Permit to visit London for a few days. I've been told its the easiest and quickest and also free of charge.

Does anyone have experience of this permit and the documents she should be submitting?

The list is very vague. I must also add that the online application on visa4uk was the longest form I have ever filled out and designed to completely confuse you.

Anyway - any advice on documents would be greatly appreciated.  

The requirements are dictated in EU directive 2004/38, and apply to all EU/WWW members plus Zwitserland. The requirements are:

- evidence of the non EU national having a direct family relation such as a genuine and legal marriage with the EU national. This can be made evident with any legal marriage. If the martial documents are in a language that the authorities cannot read they can (will) ask for an official translation. The papers also commonly need to legalisation stamps (from the Thai MFA).

- ID (passport) of the Thai national

- copy of ID of the EU national

- to make evident that the couple travels together or joins each other in an EU state other than the one the are a citizen of: written and signed statement or better yet an unpaid travel reservation in both names.

The EEA permit asks for lot more such as income er but you can answer with N/A.

Edited by Donutz
ERA? Eea! Damned auto correct
  • Like 1

They cannot ask in regards of financial solvability, earnings, occupation, reasons to return etc. So such questions should not even be asked and where they do N/A is a valid input.

The Schengen form has * to show that you may skip such questions. The British EU/EEA permit seems to be of a worse design and is not so clear that you can skip all that... but if you can show ID of the both of you, make a legal marriage evident and that you travel together as a couple to the UK as a non British EU citizen and non EU national you are all good to go. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update.

We applied last Friday for her EEA Family Permit at the VFS at the Trendy Building. Bit of a mad house there at times.

Was dragged out by the checking of documents by VFS staff.

Anyway we will wait for the decision.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the actual processing times for an EEA Family Permit in Bangkok?

I have checked on the UK website and it says 100% by 10 days.

We applied on the 19th of May. it is now the 6th June. We received one automated email from the UK saying it had been forwarded to Sheffield and that was it, Nothing else since. We also applied for the SMS notification through VFS and to date have received one message saying my wife's application had been submitted.

Getting a tad bit uneasy.

5 hours ago, Kieranmc said:

Does anyone know the actual processing times for an EEA Family Permit in Bangkok?

I have checked on the UK website and it says 100% by 10 days.

We applied on the 19th of May. it is now the 6th June

Remember that is 10 working days, and there was a UK public holiday on 29th May.  So 10 working days from 19th May, not counting the day of application, is 5th June.

Also, the latest figures haven't been updated since February!  There is no guarantee that they will be the same for applications submitted in May; particularly as it seems EEA family permits are now being sent to the UK instead of being assessed in post.

• 2 weeks later...