Thailand Elite seeks to lure UK pensioners

rooster59

2 minutes ago, CharlieK said:

Are the hoops any different in any other country?  This isn't a hoop so much as it is a scam! If this is really Thailands idea of getting better expats/tourists then I think Thailand will lose out to other countries in the area. 

"Are the hoops any different in any other country"?  Of course they are, what about the Philipines?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have lived in Thailand for eight years, I have never had a problem with immigration or the police.  If Thailand wants more English pensioners It should agree with the terms where British retirees get the yearly UK state pension increases, we do spend OUR money in your country, it would be a good move all round. We get the increases to spend in your country.  Thailand will be in a win win situation.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Are the hoops any different in any other country"?  Of course they are, what about the Philipines?

my point is every country has it's regulations for foreigners to settle in that country, yes some are easier than others. But again this is not a hoop you have to go through. There are simpler ways of staying here without having to spend £60,000.

I will say though that if it does get harder to live here because some idiot thinks he is being clever with these scams, then maybe it will be time to go elsewhere.    

No offense intended to those who love their Thai girlfriend or wife, my point is just that that's hardly a strong reason for why retired men in general should move here.

I agree. I'm touching 58 years old and single.  If any woman (not just Thai) makes 'advances' to me, I assume that it has nothing to do with love or romance on her part - it is only about money.

So I keep my hard-earned cash in my pocket :smile:

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I agree. I'm touching 58 years old and single.  If any woman (not just Thai) makes 'advances' to me, I assume that it has nothing to do with love or romance on her part - it is only about money.

So you're saying we shouldn't really believe the hansum-man sirens?

Damn, that's discouraging but i'll give it some thought's ... :sad: 

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I'm 50 and keep myself in good shape, and even then the really hot ones are slipping out of reach.  For younger guys who are reasonably attractive it's definitely a paradise and you can find a gorgeous girlfriend here, the kind that wouldn't give you the light of day in the west.  For them I can see the reason for moving here.  For older guys looking for a serious relationship, and hence women not much more than 10 years younger, nah, thanks, not for me.  I prefer being single then.

Edited by ChidlomDweller

11 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

What low cost of living? :shock1:

It was a looooooooong time ago ...

Rent is nearly same as in Europe comparing quality and conditions ..Food in Europe could be only a dream for Thai's (even they have very poor choice and everything taste similar except spices...)

Law is getting harder and harder for everyone ...in LOS which is not so smiley this days. Crime is growing faster in just one last year then in past times ...

I'm not just criticizing   . I still love this country but those changes going in LOS are drastically  increasing all the time for worst and for everyone and that's the truth. Freedom is gone and disappearing quickly ...:coffee1:

Edited by gigman

More power to those who seek the wealthy. Too bad Thailand does not confirm through statistical analysis where the bulk of their retirees are income wise. It appears to me more favorable conditions needs to be addressed to the great majority having the required income spent mostly in Thailand. Yes, I have lived here long enough to realize that thought processes here do not seem to buy into this fundamental reality.

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

£60,000 would buy a nice 1 bedroom flat in many areas of Spain and it would be your own.  A well maintained outside area and most likely a pool you can use. Fresh food in the local markets, local Tapas bars etc etc. Two hour flight back to UK for peanuts You would have an increasing pension every year.

I don't believe the conditions will change after Brexit as much as the 'prophets of doom' suggest.

Visa rules maybe but not freedom of movement as it is now.

As I read your comment I have been looking into Barcelona and a few places in Portugal... I really have had enough here.......

16 minutes ago, fish monger said:

As I read your comment I have been looking into Barcelona and a few places in Portugal... I really have had enough here.......

Couple of things to look out for if you don't stay full time. We are looking at 6/6 months, sell one place here (cheap ?) and a flat somewhere in Spain. Doing that the Spanish authorities 'assume' you will be renting it to holiday makers and present you with a tax bill on what they think the rent would be. Depends on location etc.

Other places have rules on can/cannot rent out.

If you are only coming back for short periods then no problems.

These and a few other points aren't covered on the sites selling homes/house there.

Edited by overherebc

So you're saying we shouldn't really believe the hansum-man sirens?

Ouch!  The truth hurts :)

What low cost of living? :shock1:

I'm on a 3-week holiday in Thailand from my job in Myanmar.  Apart from the cost of accommodation, Myanmar tends to be a low cost-of-living place.

Having been out of Thailand for the past 9 months, I'm somewhat staggered by the cost of many items - the price is the same if not more expensive than what is listed for costs in many EU countries.

I can't wait to get back to Myanmar in a few weeks, and to save my hard-earned $$$!

I think "Lure" says it all,wonder what bait they are using, 

pussy for the younger single pensioners,that can still

get it up, and backgammon for the older married couples,

but they will have to change the law on that one first.

regards worgeordie

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

Or a half empty tub of yoghurt?

Just a new way to keep inflation figures low to none existent. The biggest crook is the government with their queer COLA measuring system. My pension keeps getting down sized. 

Friend of mine strictly attached to LOS just week ago said enough and came to Europe ...after 6 months he manage to renew citizenship and bought a flat (i'm not saying where it is in case to keep this place as it is...not what happened in LOS where to many expats flooded this country)\

Spending around 150.000 $Au dollars having 2 bed flat finished in top quality not to mention that rest of things like food etc.etc is much cheaper and choice is huge (for those loving beer ...cost of 1/5 L is just 30-60cent $AU).

Another thing is that government here does not change ideas so often like in Thailand...and is definitely more friendly that in LOS...

I think too many people are hooked up with "LOS " which just pretend is friendly for us ..sorry

Yes, LOS this days is OK just for holiday of a couple of weeks but not to stay for longer ...I personally prefer Vietnam where people are more stable and their law.

Photos below are exactly how he will live and move in next summer....

P.S

Many Brits are already here ...hence "LOS" is a bit naive with their expectations as always....

flats.jpg

flat2.jpg

Edited by gigman

No one has mentioned filth and trash everywhere. The air quality here has to be one of the worst in the world. Killing people every year with the burning. That alone has me thinking of other places to live. 

19 hours ago, retarius said:

Do you have any evidence for retirement visas being more difficult to get? No one I know has had any probems at all provided they have the right documentation.

But that documentation requirement is now being more strictly enforced.

Particularly where people rent a condo.

I agree with you  that those who renew their extension are not facing issues.

22 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

They should be promoting this to their masters in China.

thailand is well past it's sell by date for retiring, the vast majority will stay closer to home and only the single old men would consider Thailand.

My brother recently moved to Equador and we when compare notes I'm shocked at the differences.

As soon as my wife can wrap up some family business we are out of here.

Stay in touch would like to hear more. 

16 hours ago, garyk said:

No one has mentioned filth and trash everywhere. The air quality here has to be one of the worst in the world. Killing people every year with the burning. That alone has me thinking of other places to live. 

This is exactly what has done it for me. The state of the environment in Thailand is inexcusable. I actually have an elite visa but won't be staying beyond my second year of it despite paying 500K. 

The rich don't want to be here. The only people looking to live here are married or because they think it is cheap. Those type of people will never pony up for this visa anyway. 

17 hours ago, garyk said:

All along the roadside where we are there is rubbish, even fields full. Had to move from Bangna Trad due to the filthy air- always black deposits from traffic and we were 250 yards from the road. Only time in my life I got bronchitis , is there any monitoring of traffic pollution?

Just now, Bundaberg Baxter said:

All along the roadside where we are there is rubbish, even fields full. Had to move from Bangna Trad due to the filthy air- always black deposits from traffic and we were 250 yards from the road. Only time in my life I got bronchitis , is there any monitoring of traffic pollution?

I monitor traffic pollution. I clean my balcony in Bangkok several times a week or it is pitch black with smut. 

54 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

This is exactly what has done it for me. The state of the environment in Thailand is inexcusable.

I agree 100%. I keep a place in my home country, and I am finding it harder and harder to come back to Thailand. My honeymoon period is definitely over.. 

..yesterday we went to harbor mall,it is amazing a new ice skating rink and roller skating floor ,lazer and soon a snow sledding area..i have lived an many countries and I still say Thailand is the best and pattaya HAS the potential to be great ..In a tropical hot climate one must find recreation either in doors or near the beach..i do hope pattaya reaches its full potential in the future...but a freeway next to the beach and all those filthy tour buses belching out smoke and heat is destroying this city...

For all the talk talk talk about the Elite visa I think only about 4500

people have the Elite visa in all of Thailand...

Considering there are well over 500,000 retirees in Thailand less than

1% have the Elite visa....After almost 10 years of having the Elite visa

available I would say these are pretty piss poor numbers for the Elite

visa...

All of Thailand's current efforts to make a new long term visa available

reek of being rip-offs and scams,which is sad because Thailand does not

offer any help or benefits to long term residents what-so-ever...Zilch,

Zero less than zero if thats possible...