Gas-truck explosion sent huge ball of fire into the sky in Roi Et

rooster59

Gas-truck explosion sent huge ball of fire into the sky in Roi Et

By The Nation

a7155f969ee03c215de2f4e9c0219feb-sld.jpeg

A big plume of fire shot over the sky following a big explosion in Roi Et’s Thung Khao Luang district Sunday morning.

Fortunately, no one was hurt when a gas truck exploded on the Changsanit Road. Nearby houses suffered damages from the blast, though.

“I’ve heard a big bang. Then came into the sky a huge ball of fire. It can be seen from kilometres away from where the plume came up,” Pol Captain Wachirawit Khamhuan of the Thung Khao Luang Police Station said.

Firemen have already managed to control the blaze.

2a86d4642b4e7f74e2e6afb4e7b53cd8-sld.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30311794

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-09

A little more detail from The Nations reporters in this story on how it happened would have been helpful. Gas trucks don't normally just spontaneously combust, so I assume more reckless driving is probably involved. The truck looks like it is on its side, but can't be 100% positive. Glad to hear that no one was hurt though, because that could have been deadly, given the size of the explosion.

17 hours ago, clockman said:

That is why you cannot park, LPG vehicles. In a multi storey car park.!

And you think petrol cannot explode? all a lot of rubbish. It would be nice to know more about the explosion, seems only a single one which is strange as most trucks have at least eight cylinders and you would expect a BLEVE to occur, unusual not to.

24 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

And you think petrol cannot explode? all a lot of rubbish. It would be nice to know more about the explosion, seems only a single one which is strange as most trucks have at least eight cylinders and you would expect a BLEVE to occur, unusual not to.

The reason that CNG/LPG vehicles shouldn't be parked in basements and other enclosed parking areas is that small gas leaks can accumulate and explode. It is not the vehicle themselves that explode, so yes petrol and diesel is safer to park indoor.

1 hour ago, Naroge said:

????

I've never seen any restrictions like this in any multi story car park in Thailand.

Nor have I.

It would be impossible to police anyway: Except for vehicles where the LPG Tank is easily visible - Tuk Tuks, Tractor / Prime mover units etc., an LPG powered vehicle looks - externally - exactly the same as a petrol or diesel vehicle.

Also of course none of the so-called Security Guards stationed at the entrance to car parks would have any idea as to how to identify an LPG powered vehicle, just as they so mindlessly trundle their "mirror on a stick" under my car when I drive into a Hotel or Office Building "looking for explosives". Unless there was a large package under my car with the word "BOMB" on it (in Thai of course) they will never find anything and have absolutely no clue what they are looking for in any case.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

On Sun Apr 09 2017 at 1:25 PM, darksidedog said:

A little more detail from The Nations reporters in this story on how it happened would have been helpful. Gas trucks don't normally just spontaneously combust, so I assume more reckless driving is probably involved. The truck looks like it is on its side, but can't be 100% positive. Glad to hear that no one was hurt though, because that could have been deadly, given the size of the explosion.

According to another news source, it happened when they were transferring LPG from the tanker into a steamroller at a construction area.  The hose leaked and apparently sparked causing the explosion. 

LPG doesn't just explode it has an expansion rate of 10:1 this is what causes the problem generally (re the muti story carpark).  This just should not be possible, those tankers are (under normal conditions) tested to destruction and an overturned vehicle should NEVER have ignigted...

However TIT !!

Inflammatory post and reply removed.  

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.