U.S. Navy strike group to move toward Korean peninsula - U.S. official

rooster59

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

They are currently trading weapons with a variety of groups.  I agree the chances are small, but they are real.  Especially when you've got a nutter running the country with zero checks and balances.

It is disrespectful to speak about POTUS like this.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Banana7 said:

On the way to Korea, I wonder if the strike group will pass close, or challenge, some of the chinese made islands in south china sea?

Wouldn't they make for some excellent target practice!

11 hours ago, baboon said:

I would call them one half of a country called Korea, populated by Koreans who speak Korean and divided by foreign powers.

Well, since in your view they are just part of the same country, I guess they can move freely from one country to the other. And they must have the same passport.  Oh wait,  someone from the north attempts to go south, they can be shot and their whole family can be taken and placed in a concentration camp.

They are still in a state of war.  They are still holding at a "cease fire".  There has been no treaty. The war has not officially ended.  While in S. Korea,  you still experience the sirens going off. They still hold air raid drills. The  military still mans the 38th parallel. No one is allowed into no man's land  between the two countries.  

Hostilities can start again at any time. The U.S. keeps roughly 28,000 to 30,000 troops in S. Korea at any given time.

The Korean war was considered a police action by the United Nations, because N. Korea invaded S. Korea

10 hours ago, baboon said:

I have been to the DPRK and obtaining the visa was not difficult at all.

The visa is not too hard, but you have to be on a tour.  And there are lots of restrictions.  Lots. 

I was suppose to go a few weeks ago, but backed out.  Part of an international team going there to play ice hockey.  It wasn't cheap!

9 hours ago, baboon said:

The post you are quoting me on was in response to an assertion that the DPRK had attacked a foreign country called South Korea. The Korean War began after two years (if I remember correctly) after the division of the country into the two camps. I don't imagine all that much had changed in two years...

From 1946-48 saw two years of UN-led negotiations that went nowhere due to Chinese and Russian obfuscation (does that ring a bell?). Only after the Soviet Union and US administrative and military occupations departed the peninsula in 1948, Kim Il Sung founded his totalitarian regime and the US Congress granted a 2-year aid package, only then did the Chinese-inspired North chose to invade the south in the summer of 1950.

Now stop defending the indefensible.

Edited by NanLaew

12 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Yes, it's convoluted.  However, Trump is a simpleton, and surrounded by similar.  In Trump's mind, a surgical strike against Fat Boy Kim and a few N facility sites would be fine.  However, things are never simple with N.Korea.  There can be repercussions which aren't foreseen.  The taking of the Pueblo and its crew wasn't foreseen by the US Navy.   

N.Koreans have been brainwashed every day that the US will attack.  For the US to attack, will be a self-fulfilling prophecy for the tens of millions of N.Koreans, and many will cherish the opportunity to lash out at S.Korea and the US, and possibly also Japan.    The Vietnam imbroglio is a prime example of the power of millions of determined people working toward one goal - hurting US aggressors.   

I think big changes for N.Korea will have to come from within.  An aggressive Uncle Sam will play into their game plan.  

Threatening the U.S. with a nuclear strike is not the answer.  The POTUS first job is the defense of the country. First and foremost.  

1 hour ago, kowpot said:

Threatening the U.S. with a nuclear strike is not the answer.  The POTUS first job is the defense of the country. First and foremost.  

Sorry but first and foremost is Twittering.

I'm worried that Trump will use this as a distraction from his troubles at home.  If the Senate or House committees find any more evidence of Trump/Russia cooperation from before the elections, he may decide that a quick strike against N. Korea could be a useful distraction, after all, nothing rallies people behind a leader like a little war! :post-4641-1156694005:

Unfortunately, the consequences of a 'surgical strike' would be pretty much unpredictable, though I am sure that fat boy would do SOMETHING!

11 hours ago, 55Jay said:

If the S. Koreans were so willing, why was a military invasion necessary? 

N. Korea was dealt a shitty hand after WW2.  But they went with what they got with Russia.  S. Korea went with what they got with the Americans.  S. Korea has done well.  N. Korea has not. 

Best direct that anger and resent where it belongs.  Russia.  And China.  Not the Americans.  Or S. Korea.

It's been over 60 yrs since the Korean War.  People should move onward.  I think it's long past time to blame the Russkies, Uncle Sam or China for what's going on there.  

When I was a baby, I fell out of a basinette and injured some fingers.  Both my children, when they were babies, fell out of cradles and suffered injuries.   Yet I and my brood grew up, and we don't dwell on injuries from infancy.  We don't blame our moms for not setting the cradles in safe positions.  

The 3 N.Korean leaders since the war are all like immature babies who either aren't willing or are incapable of bringing their countries toward sanity and modern times.  With one public utterance,  Fat Boy Kim could start the process toward sanity.  He could stand in front of a mic and declare:

"The two Koreas should be one nation. I pledge to do all I can to facilitate that process, and encourage all Koreans in the north to assist in the peaceful process of uniting all Koreans toward one great nation."

24 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

I'm worried that Trump will use this as a distraction from his troubles at home.  If the Senate or House committees find any more evidence of Trump/Russia cooperation from before the elections, he may decide that a quick strike against N. Korea could be a useful distraction, after all, nothing rallies people behind a leader like a little war! :post-4641-1156694005:

Unfortunately, the consequences of a 'surgical strike' would be pretty much unpredictable, though I am sure that fat boy would do SOMETHING!

I'm thinking 2 clever ones (Putin and Xi) are playing Trump like a Chump.  The Fat Kid is the rattle toy being used.  Obama and Bush did their best to ignore him.  Trump has taken the bait. *#-o d'oh!  

7 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

It's been over 60 yrs since the Korean War.  People should move onward.  I think it's long past time to blame the Russkies, Uncle Sam or China for what's going on there.  

When I was a baby, I fell out of a basinette and injured some fingers.  Both my children, when they were babies, fell out of cradles and suffered injuries.   Yet I and my brood grew up, and we don't dwell on injuries from infancy.  We don't blame our moms for not setting the cradles in safe positions.  

The 3 N.Korean leaders since the war are all like immature babies who either aren't willing or are incapable of bringing their countries toward sanity and modern times.  With one public utterance,  Fat Boy Kim could start the process toward sanity.  He could stand in front of a mic and declare:

"The two Koreas should be one nation. I pledge to do all I can to facilitate that process, and encourage all Koreans in the north to assist in the peaceful process of uniting all Koreans toward one great nation."

I agree with that.  I think the US would like nothing more than to get the heck out of there.  Unfortunately Kim can't tie his shoes without China's permission, and S. Korea would never accept N. Korea's current governing system.   Stale mate continues.

Edited by 55Jay

1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

Kim can't tie his shoes without China's permission. 

Really?  I think China would welcome a united Korea.  China's main concern is making money, so that could keep happening, particularly if N.Korean people get a bit more spending money.  Granted, a united Korea would be dominated by S.Korea (that's the main reason the Kim family don't want it to happen) and would therefore be more chummy with westerners than China would like.  But China and its businesses are adaptable.   

The two biggest reasons Korean unity would be good for China, are #1 - less possibility of war, and #2 - less chance of floods of refugees coming across the Yalu river into China.

12 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I agree with that.  I think the US would like nothing more than to get the heck out of there.  Unfortunately Kim can't tie his shoes without China's permission, and S. Korea would never accept N. Korea's current governing system.   Stale mate continues.

"Kim can't tie his shoes without China's permission" Really? I wish that were so.

http://www.economist.com/news/china/21717370-theres-message-america-too-furious-north-korea-china-stops-buying-its-coal

15 hours ago, baboon said:

I would call them one half of a country called Korea, populated by Koreans who speak Korean and divided by foreign powers.

What utter nonsense.  North Korea has a seat and a vote in the UN. South Korea has a seat and a vote in the UN. Only countries are eligible for this.  

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

What utter nonsense.  North Korea has a seat and a vote in the UN. South Korea has a seat and a vote in the UN. Only countries are eligible for this.  

North Korea is officially recognized by the UN.  Good point.

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

North Korea is officially recognized by the UN.  Good point.

......and they put forth some good athletes.  Their soccer team qualified for a recent World Cup.

Can't say the same for their cuisine.  I watched a YT video where two farang visitors went out with their 2 N.Korean minders to have a cook-out.  The N.Korean guy put some potatoes on a cement sidewalk, poured lighter fluid on them, dropped a match, and voila!......... a few minutes later, baked potatoes a la Kim.  Am not sure whether they had catsup also.

Edited by boomerangutang

2 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

It is a Republican House and a Republican Senate. What exactly do you think they are going to do?  Trump is going nowhere. Get over it! 

A post with messed up quotes has been removed from view.  Plus, off topic comments.  This isn't about Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia.  A previous warning was posted by another moderator about this.  Please, stick to the topic.

I think the sabre rattling that this is about moving a task force towards N. Korea is cover for the actual mission which is to steam through China's 9 dash line in the South China Sea.  Amazing timing this is "leaked" as a N. Korea move days after meeting with Xi and virtually nothing of any substance coming out of it.

TH 

On 4/9/2017 at 2:12 PM, baboon said:

Bombing the crap out of a country and destroying its infrastructure tends to cause just a tiny bit of suffering in itself. Liberation through death is not the answer.

Oh stop.  It just doesn't play.  Besides being ancient history, the North started that war.  They wanted to overun the South then, and Fat Boy still entertains delusions of doing it now.  Meantime he tries to bully and extort the non-failed nations of the world into continuing to feed his ongoing horror show so he can focus his own dwindling resources on more intimidation.

To parrot this "oh if the world would just leave him be" fairy tale marks the speaker as a fellow thug.

6 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

There has been an ongoing war for the past eight years. There is no need to worry. The Russia - Trump investigation continues regardless.  Left leaning and normally pro Democrat publications will follow this closely until the final day, I'm sure.  As far as launching any kind of attack on N. Korea after just having in person meetings with China, there is also no basis for worry.  Wild speculation at best that is.

26 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

There has been an ongoing war for the past eight years. There is no need to worry. The Russia - Trump investigation continues regardless.  Left leaning and normally pro Democrat publications will follow this closely until the final day, I'm sure.  As far as launching any kind of attack on N. Korea after just having in person meetings with China, there is also no basis for worry.  Wild speculation at best that is.

Then the only reason that the task force is being sent to Korea is to pick up some of Trump's favorite Kim Chee?

10 hours ago, kowpot said:

Funny,  but if you threaten the U.S. with a nuclear strike. I don't care who you are or what country. You deserve to be eliminated.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that it's the leadership cadre who are the bad guys.

The general public are just brainwashed dummies (or prisoners, depending), and don't deserve to get vaporized in a Nuke attack.