A million baht dowry and a hundred foreign guests as gay British tour boss ties the knot with Thai man

webfact

A million baht dowry and a hundred foreign guests as gay British tour boss ties the knot with Thai man

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

KAMPHAENG PHET: -- There was a big wedding yesterday in Kamphaeng Phet when a British tour company boss married his Thai sweetheart, a restaurant manager in Silom.

The dowry was 1,000,000 baht plus 20 baht in gold (worth about400,000) and a one carat diamond ring, reported Thai Rath.

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Some 100 British guests flew in to celebrate the nuptials of Mr Chris Lee, 47, and Samruay Sothin, 33.

It was a spectacular affair with Mr Lee's friend Tawatchai Aranyik, a former head of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, as main guest.

Many of the participants added to the flavor of the traditional wedding by wearing Thai costumes for the occasion.

Mr Lee - boss of Chris Travel - met Samruay - manager of the "Telephone" restaurant - in Kanchanaburi some years back. After a whirlwind romance and many visits to each other's homes they decided to do the right thing.

Yesterday in Soi Wang Thong Luang there was the traditional procession of "Hae Khan Mark" before Mr Lee arrived at the house to go on his knees and officially ask for Samruay's hand in marriage.

TAT man Tawatchai handed over the diamond ring and the dowry was received by Samruay's happy parents Jet, 60, and Samrerng, 57.

The happy couple plan a further wedding in Britain in May.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-10

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

We Win LOTTOLEE !

Beat me to it! Yes, I bet they were happy, particularly as dowry's are the generally the preserve of the parents of daughters!

Anyway good luck to the happy couple. Hope it all works out for them.

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Well it wasn't a wedding and they are not married ! Gay marriage is not recognised in Thailand so it was just a very expensive off fee! 

Neither is a similar ceremony between a straight couple a legal marriage. So, what's your point?

11 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

This is easy as usually one is a giver and the other is a taker. In this case I would say the old farang is the giver and the younger Thai man is the taker.

A little respect please, the  "old farang" is 47, hardly a senior and hopefully,  has years of married happiness ahead of him.:thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

This is easy as usually one is a giver and the other is a taker. In this case I would say the old farang is the giver and the younger Thai man is the taker.

Ever heard of 'versatile'?

26 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Nice story, but the 1 mill dowry makes me feel uneasy.  Was it handed back after the wedding?  Good luck to them, the world needs more gays.

Why does it make you 'uneasy'? If he wants to give it and can afford it, what's the problem?

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The UK authorities probably would not recognise this marriage, because its not a legal marriage , just a ceremony 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The happy couple plan a further wedding in Britain in May.

Wakey, wakey. Read the article in full.

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Surely that would mean that they are not gay then ?

The whole reason for being gay is that you like anal sex .

This really has got to be the most ill-informed comment I have ever read on this forum. Bar none!

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

yes it is, but they are not legally married in the eyes of Thailand or the UK.

No, they are not, but non-legally relevant ceremonies like this can be seen as early steps for what is probably inevitable eventually -- legalization of same sex marriage in Thailand.

The Telephone Bar mentioned has been there for DECADES, in fact older that the younger of the grooms. It used to be fun for a snack/drink before going to the Rome  Club ( directly opposite, long since called something else), Bangkok's first gay/mixed dance club. Those were fun times.

Yes, all the best to the happy/gay couple.

29 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Read the whole thread .

We are talking about the Thai guy obtaining a UK settlement Visa , BEFORE he goes to the UK 

We may be talking about that (exclude me from that we  by the way), they are probably not.

It is perfectly feasible for Mr. Lee's partner to travel with him to the UK on a visit visa. There, they can legally marry once they have fulfilled the necessary requirements.

Read here if you want to know more.

https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships/foreign-national

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

Monks are (appropriately enough) for deaths, not marriages.

so could you explain how these religious weddings work. is it you walk around with everyone making a noise, and that's it married

Archived