A million baht dowry and a hundred foreign guests as gay British tour boss ties the knot with Thai man

webfact

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, steve187 said:

so could you explain how these religious weddings work. is it you walk around with everyone making a noise, and that's it married

They are not religious weddings, they are traditional weddings. The couple themselves can choose whether they would like to have monks in attendance. So do, some don't.

3 minutes ago, champers said:

You have interpreted that from the thread heading? I must be missing something or should get out more.

Not from the thread heading, no, it was from one of the comments by a poster in this thread

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

We Win LOTTOLEE !

:cheesy: :partytime2:

Friend did the same, albeit with a successful business-lady. He has now fully adapted to Thai culture and lifestyle, lives the hi-so life and avoids his former farang-friends. Despite happiness still chasing bar-girls, I hear. To each his own. MS>

23 minutes ago, steve187 said:

so could you explain how these religious weddings work. is it you walk around with everyone making a noise, and that's it married

My b/f and I were married in a religious ceremony in his village here in Surin in 2013. Half the village turned up at the family house and the oldest man in the village who still had his marbles mumbled the prayers, assisted by my FIL and a couple of elderly female rellies who corrected the old man every time he made a mistake. We were blessed with holy water & I had already been taught how to wack my forehead 3 times on the ground to warn the ancestors that a new member of the family was coming aboard ... And a great time was had by all, with much laughter & merriment.

I was told that the fact that the government (a long way away in BKK, and there are many paddy fields) did not 'recognize' gay marriage was an irrelevance. None of THEIR (Khmer peasant) marriages were recognized by the government so why would you worry about that? The village recognized them and recognized my b/f & me as a couple, and that's what counted as far as they were concerned. And Buddhism says: Marriage is for 2 people who love each other. No nonsense about who does what in bed ...

Who cares gay or straight. Character and personality is what counts. However I never quite get it, when gays make a big story out of being gay and being different and present themselves to the world as true heroes about coming out and let everybody know details about their being gay etc. etc. Know a bunch of elderly gays and they behave just ridiculous many times.....On the other hand some of my best friends are gay and have a great, friendly character.

Anal sex is another story.....Sure nothing that appeals to me, but who determines what is the norm/normal. Not me, for sure. To each his own.

Be gay or straight, but be good! MS>

Just now, Jingthing said:

I was responding to a member who stated with authority that because this was a couple where one partner was older that he knew what positions they take anally (and that they take positions at all). Well, unless he knows them personally, he was only guessing. Could be right. Could just as easily be wrong. 

TBH, its really no one elses business and not something we need to discuss .

Best Wishes to the Happy Couple....And all the best for your future happiness

I note just a few knockers/uninformed adding their insipid remarks....such is life....there are still a lot of rocks to be kicked over to let the sun shine on those unfortunates living beneath the said rocks

1 hour ago, moonseeker said:

:cheesy: :partytime2:

Friend did the same, albeit with a successful business-lady. He has now fully adapted to Thai culture and lifestyle, lives the hi-so life and avoids his former farang-friends. Despite happiness still chasing bar-girls, I hear. To each his own. MS>

Good luck to the guy.

However, married & still chasing bar girls? I've never been married, but never got my head around why one would do both, even more so if the lady is from a "respectable" family. Maybe in a longer term/failing marriage, but otherwise?:sleep: 

Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned!?

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Nice story, but the 1 mill dowry makes me feel uneasy.  Was it handed back after the wedding?  Good luck to them, the world needs more gays.

Don't worry this couple is going to make many children.

5 hours ago, steve187 said:

just a mock up not a legal marriage, try getting him to the UK on a settlement visa.

It would not be hard for them to go to the UK and tie the knot there too legally while his husband is on a tourist visa and then start the process, right? 

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

This really has got to be the most ill-informed comment I have ever read on this forum. Bar none!

Totally agree with you, it is difficult to find words that can be used on the forum to describe such 'rubbish' , gay or not there is no need for this kind of comment. Should be banned from posting any further items.

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Well it wasn't a wedding and they are not married ! Gay marriage is not recognised in Thailand so it was just a very expensive off fee! 

probably lucky for them it is not a real marriage.  theirs is expensive to get into but probably cheap to get out of. the opposite of most of my western friends marriages to their western wives.

There's a sucker (no pun intended) born every day of the week... A million Baht plus 400,000 in gold is way too much for "po" and "mae". 

The Thai fella must be really good at something...

6 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Million dollar dowry Give me a break It will last 5 years then they will start bitching at each other LOL 

So? In this life you give and receive such happiness as you can.

Good they got married and best of luck to them. Why they needed the media attention is beyond my understanding.

However, Would be interesting to hear if the Thai guys parents paid the dowry money back to the farang after the marriage. That tells a lot about what kind of marriage it is and if the farang is stupid or not.

The mother in the pic looks quite sad, so maybe she realised the money is not for her keeping.

2 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Who were those 9 orange robed freeloaders sitting in front of me?Having a grand old sing song,holding up the beer drinking?

I know only what my villagers told me when, a few days before our ceremony as described above, I inquired whether a monk or 3 might be presiding at our ceremony. The answer was as I have described: No, monks are for death not marriage. [These are poor Khmer peasants - don't know whether that makes a difference.] I also note that presiding and attending as guests are not the same thing

Archived