New Khon Kaen train station?

dave3478

Just a small blurry "map" found. Matches tuktuktuk's description.

17554226_383645748684861_107483248682377

Picture of the temporary station under construction.

S_5790023062458.jpg

The white structure on the left is the backside of Tesco Lotus I guess.

The map above seems to show that there is some kind of bus service from the station?

Looks to me like they're elevating the track all through Khon Kaen. Always good to see efforts to eliminate crossings at grade. Looks to me like they're modernizing the track all the way to Bangkok. New rails and precast concrete ties staged everywhere. 

18 minutes ago, tso310 said:

I assume the track is still narrow gauge ?

Still Toy town railway.  Because there is another killing to be made when they run the new standard gauge railway from Nong Khai to Bangkok in the future once all pre payments to offshore and Swiss bank accounts have been honoured

The construction of the elevated tracks is not for the railway but for the Khon Kaen tramway that will be operating from the south bus station to Khon Kaen University.

The fonding of this project comes from a group of private investors known as Khon Kaen Think Tank. That group is also the one behind the air-conditioned buses. More a/c bus line will be added to link-up with the tramway once it is up and running.

Just now, Hereinthailand said:

Yes thats the problem lots of money being spent and no plan whatsoever. Oh wait lol the plan is to make money.

You just do not know what you are talking about. The team behind the tramway construction is very serious and have a detailed long-term plan how to build a functioning public transport in Khon Kaen.

2 hours ago, tso310 said:

I couldn't tell you.  It never occurred to me that the track was narrow gauge.  I'm not much of a railway expert.  We traveled all the way from Bangkok to Khon Kaen just to give it a try.  The train moved at 90 to 100 kph and it was a pretty steady ride.  I'd say it was better than sitting in a car for the same trip.  

There's a very good reason for the station being built there.  It's called the CP company. who own half of Thailand.  The building to the left of Tesco/Lotus on the small map above, is the new CP conference centre.

"...for the Khon Kaen tramway that will be operating from the south bus station to Khon Kaen University."

There will be 16 stops in total.  Starting 2 stops South of the bus station, and going 3 stops past the University.

Anyone interested in details can probably get info using Google.  Including artists rendering of what it might look like.

Terry

On 4/11/2017 at 4:12 PM, tso310 said:

That is almost a certainty if it is SRT track. Back in December SRT introduced new rolling stock on some of the long distance routes so unlikely they will be changing gauge on existing routes anytime soon.

I went Bangkok to Udon Thani a couple of weeks ago and certainly a lot more comfortable than the old rolling stock.

On 11/04/2017 at 6:40 PM, stgrhe said:

The construction of the elevated tracks is not for the railway but for the Khon Kaen tramway that will be operating from the south bus station to Khon Kaen University.

I hope that goes ahead - the bus station is a bit of a hike from the hotels I typically stay at when visiting - and I like to catch the bus to BKK etc. 

Edited by Sporting Dog

The fonding of this project comes from a group of private investors known as Khon Kaen Think Tank. That group is also the one behind the air-conditioned buses. More a/c bus line will be added to link-up with the tramway once it is up and running.

On Facebook (Khonkaen Skyline) it looks like that not only the LRT, but also the normal train track will be elevated, if I read the text correctly.

Unfortunately a good overview of all that is planned for Khon Kaen, seems to be very well hidden: renewed airport; Light Rapid Train; Bueng Kaen Nakorn; CP exhibition center; U-turn overpass; etc.

FB_IMG_1492424488231.jpg

Sent from my SM-A800F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2017 at 4:12 PM, tso310 said:

Quite handy to have tracks in the same width as the bogeys of the trains.

But for your info, 1-metre gauge is suitable up to 160 km/h.

Not toytrain I guess.

The work on the railway elevation is indeed for the railways, and not for the tram Thaphra to Samran.

Edited by hansnl

I recently took the train down to bangkok and back to Khon Kaen, i was rather impressed with the second class sleeper service.  Lower bunk think it was 780 baht., I slept most of the way and was woken by the car attendant at my stop.  A new train station is long overdue, happy to see these projects coming on line.  Gonna make Khon Kaen  Great again (555)

10 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

I recently took the train down to bangkok and back to Khon Kaen, i was rather impressed with the second class sleeper service.  Lower bunk think it was 780 baht., I slept most of the way and was woken by the car attendant at my stop.  A new train station is long overdue, happy to see these projects coming on line.  Gonna make Khon Kaen  Great again (555)

The new train station is fairly close to my house. It is my understanding it is only temporary while the old station is remodeled.  But, to be fair there are many rumors as to what is really going to happen.

• 3 months later...
On 04/11/2017 at 4:33 PM, whatawonderfulday said:

Still Toy town railway.  Because there is another killing to be made when they run the new standard gauge railway from Nong Khai to Bangkok in the future once all pre payments to offshore and Swiss bank accounts have been honoured

Nonsense, metre gauge is definitely not toy train material.

Speeds attainable are around 150 km/h, axle loading with concrete sleepers and heavy rail, say 56 kg or higher per meter, can be 20 tons or higher.

Indeed, the same rolling stock for standard gauge and metre gauge can be used, the difference is in the bogeys.

Easiest way to get there is to get dropped off in the Tesco car park and an exit and makeshift bridge gets you right onto platform.

The traditional method at front of train station is main just fields and fields and some real hobos selling food.