Midweek rant: Dear Songkran revelers – any chance of leaving me alone?

webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry- must disagree- It is not age; it is the fact that people have become more aggressive; selfish and much ruder as the years have gone on. They have developed a me first attitude and could care less about the feelings of other people.  I would never even think of throwing water on a person who asked me not to; or throw a bucket of water on a travelling motorcyclist or even attempt to throw water on someone I can see is not dressed casually.  This is pure common sense and good manners- not much of which exists today.

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

It is alright saying it is Thai culture and that it is for 3 days a year so be prepared. What if you do want to go somewhere not dressed like a Khao san backpacker wearing trousers, flip flops and  a T shirt that has holes in it. What if you want to wear a shirt/trousers or if you have business and your in a suit. Why should you have to get drenched and often covered in white paste. It is just pure, dam right bad manners, poor etiquette, selfish and offensive. If someone went and slapped someone in the face and said it was my culture, would they be happy? No and rightly so. The way forward for this is to have designated areas for water fights so those who want to play like children can. Any other area should be made illegal and thrown in jail for a week. that would be a deterrent.

I have had the unfortunate situation were I had to go out in a suit over Songkran and the amount of people who tried to go out of their way to soak me was unbelievable. My opinion of these people, they are A holes.  Now I lock myself in which I believe it to be wrong but until the mentality changes, is the best option. BTW it wasn't like that 16 years ago. progressively it has gotten worse and since more foreigners have got involved the play fighting with water has become much more aggressive.

What do you think of this for an idea. If it was against the law to soak anyone who wears, say a bright green shirt, top. or similar, and have it well advertised, I know that Thais in general have little regard for the law, but I believe on this occasion there would be less chance of getting soaked.

When I first came to Thailand. I rode my motorbike up the road and saw a few people, not children, pick up their buckets of water, I stopped just before and pointed my finger at them, and they put their buckets down and waved me on.

I have found the vast majority of Thais, to be honest decent people, and if they knew you objected to being soaked they would leave you alone, it's the majority of Farangs in the tourist areas who are the real morons with their stupid water guns, who will soak you when they know you do not want to participate.

41 minutes ago, smotherb said:

So, what in your poorly written response negates anything I said?

smotherb said ,
"Not another cry-baby Songkran rant. It seems so simple; if it hurts, don't do that.  Go out of country for Songkran. Stay at home for Songkran. If you have to go out; drive your car, or wear a raincoat and goggles.   "
  Everything losing teeth , crashing my tuk tuk , burning my legs and the massive amount of carnage is not another cry baby rant , it does hurt , why should i have to go out of the country for some morons who want to hurt me , i dont have a car . raincoats and googles not much use against urine and ice cubes so my poorly written response (dont understand that as english is not my first language so i thought ok , perhaps you should try welsh ) negates everything you said . I am staying at home , locked in by mindless morons . No other country in the world would allow this but of course it is ok to hurt and kill people in thailand as it is their country and thier culture ,NOT

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Honestly relax and take a damn taxi!  I bet you and tens of others REALLY have a business meeting in Thailand on the 13 th, 14 th or 15 th. Please stop it.  You were just younger 16 years ago. That is the only difference.  Did you ever stop and think that Songkran revelers thought that YOU were an a hole for tramping around in a suit during a WATER festival and not in your car, a rented car or a taxi ??  It goes both ways.  Why shouldn't people be able to relax , play and enjoy Songkran on their own streets and in their own neighborhoods where many have done it for decades.  There are two ways to look at your misery. 

If only it was that simple, nothing wrong with responsible people having waterfights among themselves, but they should learn to leave people alone who do not want to participate.

IMO, many of the older felangs guys like Songram for sexual titillation , being able to leer at young girls in wet tee -shirts .

How many of the older felang guys would go and participate in a water fight if it was held at the local ex-pats golf club where the only other people participating would be felang retirees ?

2 hours ago, rodney earl said:

LIKE YOU I HATE THIS TIME OF THE YEAR WHERE DRUNKEN IDIOTS MAKE THIS TIME OF YEAR A DISASTER. I STAY AT HOME FOR THREE DAYS!!!

I wish it was only three days, where do you stay?

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

No one is dictating to you how you spend your day. If you get wet, you made the choice to be there.

Isn't telling me to stay home and not do anything being dictated to?

I follows that I can tell all the people who want to throw water all over anyone should stay home and stop doing it.

22 minutes ago, dazzz said:

smotherb said ,
"Not another cry-baby Songkran rant. It seems so simple; if it hurts, don't do that.  Go out of country for Songkran. Stay at home for Songkran. If you have to go out; drive your car, or wear a raincoat and goggles.   "
  Everything losing teeth , crashing my tuk tuk , burning my legs and the massive amount of carnage is not another cry baby rant , it does hurt , why should i have to go out of the country for some morons who want to hurt me , i dont have a car . raincoats and googles not much use against urine and ice cubes so my poorly written response (dont understand that as english is not my first language so i thought ok , perhaps you should try welsh ) negates everything you said . I am staying at home , locked in by mindless morons . No other country in the world would allow this but of course it is ok to hurt and kill people in thailand as it is their country and thier culture ,NOT

If it hurts, don't do that.

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

The answer to most of those questions is a big NO. If you hate it so much you just had an entire year to plan and go somewhere else and make plans to not be on your bike for 3 short days in BKK and even then the morning is very dry and after 11 pm or so it's dry. What I think some haters should do is buy a big super soaker tonight maybe the 5500 model and go out tomorrow and the next day and and take some of your pent up anxiety out on the revelers you hate so much. I have never had such a therapeutic day after finally staying in Thailand for Songkran 2 years ago and last year. It's so fun and everybody is in such a great mood. I highly suggest Silom because it has a great mix of people and I have not seen anyone that drunk at all. It's truly good clean fun.  All ages participate. 

BTW I would never stay indoors for a blizzard either. I love those 60 centimeter New England snow storms. 

You mean all those drunken idiots are having fun, next time you go to the doctor, do me a favor and get you head checked.  You haven't seen anyone that drunk, obviously you never came to Pattaya where those idiots are having it for 10+ days and not three the way it should be.  Have a nice day.

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Isn't telling me to stay home and not do anything being dictated to?

I follows that I can tell all the people who want to throw water all over anyone should stay home and stop doing it.

I am not dictating--I am suggesting. I promise I will not come and get you if you don't do what I say.

Me telling you how to avoid getting wet is not the same as you trying to change the Songkran revelers habits. 

If you can't see that, well . . . .

3 hours ago, rodney earl said:

LIKE YOU I HATE THIS TIME OF THE YEAR WHERE DRUNKEN IDIOTS MAKE THIS TIME OF YEAR A DISASTER. I STAY AT HOME FOR THREE DAYS!!!

Well stocked up with beer and wine of course, and make yourself a lonely drunken idiot !

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

I am not dictating--I am suggesting. I promise I will not come and get you if you don't do what I say.

Me telling you how to avoid getting wet is not the same as you trying to change the Songkran revelers habits. 

If you can't see that, well . . . .

You cannot teach idiots how to behave.

Now  someone is telling me that I should like Songkran because of the 'sexual titillation' pf seeing young girls in wet T shirts- Good God- this is Thailand- I can go right this minute to any bar; club; massage parlor or others and get a lot more than titillated-  I don't like Songkran because people are selfish and rude when asked not to throw water. My definition of fun is when everyone is having fun- not just You!!

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Why should I have to pay to go out of the country for Songkran? Why should I have to be housebound for Songkran? Why shouldn't I have the right to choose whether to participate and that right respected by others. Why can't I go out to do some shopping or visit friends without some idiots soaking me? Don't say it is a cultural thing. It is not. It has got progressively worse and worse. As another poster says, there should be designated areas for those who wish to enter water battles and it should be strictly controlled or banned elsewhere. 

Well said!  In Pattaya nobody seems to know when it begins or ends so we're stuck from maybe today until the 19th.  Or 20th?  Who knows.  Why should those who value their personal safety and personal space be made to leave the city or stay at home for that length of time?   I'm not against Songkran--just have designated streets and specific days for it.  Those who aren't in to it can avoid those streets and stay safe and dry.  Those who are into it can frolic to their hearts content on those streets.  Everybody happy.  

Why should I have to pay to go out of the country for Songkran? Why should I have to be housebound for Songkran? Why shouldn't I have the right to choose whether to participate and that right respected by others. Why can't I go out to do some shopping or visit friends without some idiots soaking me? Don't say it is a cultural thing. It is not. It has got progressively worse and worse. As another poster says, there should be designated areas for those who wish to enter water battles and it should be strictly controlled or banned elsewhere. 

I, I, I. Maybe songkran isn't just about you and your dear little comforts.

With that rant. You have friends?  

Get a gun and have some fun!! 

12 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Now  someone is telling me that I should like Songkran because of the 'sexual titillation' pf seeing young girls in wet T shirts- Good God- this is Thailand- I can go right this minute to any bar; club; massage parlor or others and get a lot more than titillated-  

You completely misunderstood what I posted .

It would be nice if there could be some unwritten rule that per example people dressed in black shirt should be left alone. I have enjoyed Songkran for many years but it is hell when you have to go to a meeting or restaurant when you are soaked wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well I am pretty certain I am going to see some "interesting" responses here but the current Mrs Dark Lord and I have actually vacated the Castle of Doom (home)  in Khorat and temporarily moved TO PATTAYA FOR SONKGRAND. 

Lets face  it folks, Khorat is not the most exciting city in the world so a venture to the dark side ( not the place but the experience) for a few days over Songgers has got got to be a move for the better.

now let's see your comments and I will promise in any case, to provide you with feedback on our experience this year.

BTW ( and I hope Mrs DL forgives me for this) we are approaching our 60's and consist of a partnership of one farang and one indig.

more to follow........

Edited by The Dark Lord
Emphasis

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

BTW I would never stay indoors for a blizzard either. I love those 60 centimeter New England snow storms. 

One has to wonder why you came here it does not snow? If you wish to go out and experience Songkran go for it just quit trying to sell us on the idea of a serious religious holiday being retooled into a huge waste of a precious resource and injection of bahts by masses of madness called "tourists" Yes it is a divided world your side and the rest of us. 

No one is trolling- some have differences of opinions. While I no longer participate in the festival- I do not begrudge other people doing so.  My only request is that those who don't want to participate be respected and if you are asked to not throw water my way- you respect my wishes just as I would respect yours if the situation was reversed. Is it really that hard to live life with some manners?

2 hours ago, dazzz said:

This is for you and the other people who have no idea what they are talking about. This is NOT thai culture. Songran is whern all the people go to the temple marching through the streets putting scented water ,flowers and powder on you to wash away last years sins .
 3 yrs ago i was driving the udon to nong khai 3 lane road when after passing parked truck 2 days before songran  2 little boys ran out and threw a bucket of water with ice. I was doing about 80kph. It knocked out 2 of my front teeth, smashed my visor damaged my neck which still hurts . Their parents just smiled like it was fun even though i wanted to punch the teeth out.
 Next year was driving my skylab tuk tuk but never thought that the engine was between my knees causing the water to steam and burn my legs quite badly .Later that day i was driving slowly thorugh a village . I sa  a water place ahead but when i got close a motorbike came from the other direction . 2 little girls about 5 not seeing me run out right in front of me to get the bike  . I could not stop so drove of the road overturning my tuk tuk . I was unhurt but 5000 baht damage to my tuk tuk.
  In the  villages by 5pm most of the water is thrown by drunk teenagers . There IS a group every year near my house . They put ice in the water . I have seen the urinating and putting vixol toilet cleaner in the water . THIS IS NOT SONGRAN !
This adulterated version of songran is carnage . Death and injury all over thaialnd . It is not like kaosan road most of it is on fast roads where it is madness to throw water esp with ice at passing motobikes . It is only fun to drunk people , all the thais i have spoke to , not one says they like the new songran esp older people

Your message will resonate with some like me and fall on deaf ears much like 

Of course your right. Let them set up sites down by the Ping river and have at it and leave the rest of us alone. I read the large number of tragedies that some people have encountered during Songkran in the past but that pretty well goes over the heads of people who suffer from mayhem madness. Post number 59 is a good example. One life needlessly lost to the madness is one life to many.

Edited by elgordo38