Midweek rant: Dear Songkran revelers – any chance of leaving me alone?

webfact

BS back at you!  
All types of people celebrate! 
Every occupation and rich and poor. There are so many professionals from all over the world come here just to join in the fun and go to all sorts of concerts and clubs after the water play. I meet so many people who come every year and none are brain dead [emoji88] You just seem very grumpy and had a bad experience and want to try and lump all revelers together. You would be amazed at how many high quality tourists are here this week. Most 5 star hotels are filled and they spend way more than you. 

Alex I believe you are talking about playing in designated areas or where people congregate to play like in Silom - this is fine and I have no problem with this. I think you said earlier that you've only experienced a couple of Songkran festivals in the same area. I don't think people on here have an issue where it is done in known areas.

A good few years ago after 7pm one evening during Songkran a friend of mine called me to pick up something from his condo and deliver it to him over in East Pattaya. I jumped on my bike and rode over thinking it would be quiet from the days water activities. It was already dark by the time I got over to east Pattaya when some drunk Thai sprinted out to the side of me and threw a bucket of ice and water into my face. It went under my visor, blinding me and causing me to fall off my bike. This is absolutely nuts and you can imagine I was furious. He then starts apologising and paid for the damage caused to my bike. I really wanted to report him to the police among other things! I was ok, but really what was the whole point of what he was trying to do? Cause harm to someone as he thought he could get away with it during Songkran?

I've experienced Songkran all over Thailand since 1994 and I think Samui was about the best. One day of fun and it was all over.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot weather, Days off work, People partying and throwing water at each other. 

Yes, I see the problem. Boy do I wish I had real problems like this.

Off with the wife and kids to play with some water. For us it is a special time we can enjoy together.

Edited by khunpa

23 hours ago, DMC1 said:

Alex I believe you are talking about playing in designated areas or where people congregate to play like in Silom - this is fine and I have no problem with this. I think you said earlier that you've only experienced a couple of Songkran festivals in the same area. I don't think people on here have an issue where it is done in known areas.

A good few years ago after 7pm one evening during Songkran a friend of mine called me to pick up something from his condo and deliver it to him over in East Pattaya. I jumped on my bike and rode over thinking it would be quiet from the days water activities. It was already dark by the time I got over to east Pattaya when some drunk Thai sprinted out to the side of me and threw a bucket of ice and water into my face. It went under my visor, blinding me and causing me to fall off my bike. This is absolutely nuts and you can imagine I was furious. He then starts apologising and paid for the damage caused to my bike. I really wanted to report him to the police among other things! I was ok, but really what was the whole point of what he was trying to do? Cause harm to someone as he thought he could get away with it during Songkran?

I've experienced Songkran all over Thailand since 1994 and I think Samui was about the best. One day of fun and it was all over.

Yes you are right , most of these people who like songran never see the real songran , just the water pistols in city street . Basically farangland and not thailand . If they ventured out of bangkok and the tourist areas they would see and experience the obscene nature of the rest of thailand songran.
 First day 33 dead , 420 injured , 387 accidents and thats not counting the victims who did not die at the scene so will be a lot more dead and i have not checked but i am betting not many of these accidents in farangland ie pattaya ,phuket and bangkok but in north of bangkok and mainly in rural areas.
 Went out to the temple yesterday , very nice with the old folks . Just had 1 big cup of water and ice cubes thrown in my face by a 10 yr old who hurt my eye . Only heard 1 ambulance yesterday so a lot less than last year when i heard at least a dozen on the first day. Sat near the road watching and saw 2 motorbikes crash trying to avoid the buckets of ice . 1 bike with 3 young boys the driver being 11 yrs old and  a bike with 3 young teen girls . No serious injury , just the road rash , scrapes and bruise . About 50 metres from the village police checkpoint who did nothing , not even go to look see . Seems like a lot of people bs on here  not knowing what they are talking about .