Songkran festivities watered down

webfact

6 hours ago, samsensam said:

the once meaningful and caring festival has been hijacked by idiots; mainly teenagers and sadly the lower educated and lower class - have a look at the type of adults that take part in the offensive, disrespectful activities, they are in the majority the lower class and lower educated.

my friends here are educated middle class professionals who dislike what the festival has become as much as foreigners with commons sense

Could you please define what disrespectful activities are. Hopefully you are not referring to the occasional toplessness. There is nothing disrespectful about that. LOL.

Sad to have left the week before songkran last year.   But I hope I never get so old and grumpy that I don't even joy crazy human animal behavior.    Can't feel sorry about someone who takes a non waterproof camera to a water event.    

Just a sidebar......while waiting for my gym to open on Pattaya Klang this morning I counted over 25 taxis headed out of town full of farangs....smart folks leave town and take their money with them..

Same as me.  I left Pattaya on the ferry to Hua Hin yesterday.  Now in a peaceful little resort on a deserted beach, just south of Hua Hin.  Spending my money on good food and wine, and staying dry!

14 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Just a sidebar......while waiting for my gym to open on Pattaya Klang this morning I counted over 25 taxis headed out of town full of farangs....smart folks leave town and take their money with them.....someday someone will figured it out.....but not likely.....????

Thing is, bus-loads come INTO town for the festivities, and usually straight off the plane with full wallets.  So money wise, it's a winner.

Personally, I once had 2 days of it.  If I'd stayed for 3, I'd have hurt someone.

23 hours ago, millwall_fan said:

Completely unreasonable to enforce the pick-up and minibus rules until the unelected   government provides affordable subsidised public transport for the masses who can't afford to get home any other way. 

I appreciate your sentiment, because such action would save lives in the future...but the trucks I see in Thailand are pretty new...so this begs the question, "What did these people do before they had trucks?"...whatever they did then, they should do now, until they can get their trucks fitted for safety....

1 hour ago, hdkane said:

I appreciate your sentiment, because such action would save lives in the future...but the trucks I see in Thailand are pretty new...so this begs the question, "What did these people do before they had trucks?"

they had older trucks

3 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

they had older trucks

I saw a video recently of Songkran in the 50s at Lampang. They had 'old' trucks loaded with water and young Thais were hurling buckets full at anyone in sight. One poor fellow on a bicycle came a cropper. Everyone was having a wild time and not a farang in sight to corrupt this religious festival.

I am 72 and haven't got old enough yet that I can't put up with a few days of people having fun. I dress to get wet and have no complaints when I do.

I think Songkran is a fantastic party that I would be proud of if in my country.  My country is so stuck up they won't allow a backyard party at anytime. Dull, boring, unfriendly, stuck up Farangs and locals can just stay home if they like.  The same people doing most of the complaining about young kids misbehaving today will tell you many stories of the crazy things they did when they were a kid, but thats different.