Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Who's in the wrong? 18 wheeler crushes car as both try to make u-turn

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indicators seen anyone?

I didn't.

The truck is on the right-turn lane, car on the U-turn lane.

Truck uses the U-turn instead of the normal turn a bit ahead.

It's not unusual that a truck needs two lanes for a U-turn.

(assuming there is no rule/sign that would forbid U-turns for such long vehicle)

BUT in this case at least have working indicators (turned on) AND look into the mirror thoroughly.

The car driver would have needed superstitious foreshadow.

9x% responsibility of the truck driver.

2 hours ago, petermik said:

As any car driver should know.....don,t argue with the big boys.............car drivers fault for trying to dodge in :thumbsup:

Not sure what video you watched.

The truck was on a lane that is not for doing the U-turn, does not use indicator.

13 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Both in wrong.

Truck driver should be using mirrors and be aware of his offside.

Car driver should be aware of what may happen.

2 idiots 1 collision. 

You think the car driver should be a mind reader? The truck was not indicating, the truck was wrong.

The truck clearly cut across the lane the car was in, no indicator and obviously didnt look behind.  100% trucks fault.  However, if I was in the car I would not have got so close to the truck. I always give trucks room to move. Here we have big signs on all big trucks " Do not overtake when turning"

Everyone knows that long vehicles have a wider turning circle than small ones. The car obviously didn't understand that and thought he could sneak through quickly.

To my mind, the car made a stupid maneuver, but the truck should also be using his mirrors to check the inside is clear. Both at fault.

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The truck was on a lane that is not for doing the U-turn, does not use indicator.

He was in the right turn lane, the use of an indicator would tell the car driver what exactly? Just added warning of a going right maneuver.

The truck could not make a U-Turn from the U-Turn lane....and may only be wishing to turn right.

Trucks always cut lanes, the car driver was impatient to get through the turn ahead of him, and slow to get in reverse after failing to stop.

12 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

not sure about the indicators but where i come from HGVs often have a sign on them if you cant see my mirrors i cant see you and as another poster said large and long HGVs cannot make the turn if they are in the turning lane.  yes the lorry driver was wrong to not use indicators The car driver was not paying attention either and let the lorry start to turn before trying to sneak through quickly.

Truck driver clearly at fault as he turned from the turn right lane into the U-turn lane cutting across the path of the car in the U-turn lane, also no indicator on, lucky the car driver was not injured, I will also note that the car driver should slow down when about to do a U-turn, it appears he was accelerating in the U-turn lane which is silly, might learn to stay away from truck as I do in the future.

2 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

The car driver was not paying attention either and let the lorry start to turn before trying to sneak through quickly.

Something I experience and see at least 10 times each and every day on the roads here in Thailand.

I can't count any more how many times while I make a U-tun a  motorbike squeezes through at the right side..

For my 25 Satang's worth, I know if a truck has to do a U turn it needs 2 lanes , but it was in the lane for straight ahead ,the car was in the correct lane , the truck driver should not have done the turn unless he was certain no one was in the right lane , he obviously had no idea there was a car there and he gave no signal , 100% truck drivers fault .  There ................Day 1.' Cry havoc and set slip the dogs of war .' 

I see so many problems caused by impatience or " me me me ! "
Only yesterday I saw a mc get squashed trying to overtake a car leaving Market Village parking where there was clearly no room.
In the 18 wheeler case the truck gave no indication he was gonna do a u-turn and is at fault.
But if the car had taken more care and attention he could have avoided the situation.

" lazy a22hole of the week " award to the truck.
" impatient mother<deleted> of the week " award to the car .

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Totally agree yes but we are in Thailand where traffic laws/signalling counts for nothing,drive defensively at all times and ALWAYS expect the unexpected,the car driver should have thought beforehand about trying to sneak in and take on the big boys.......he won,t attempt this manoever again thats for sure...plonker :whistling:

1 minute ago, petermik said:

Totally agree yes but we are in Thailand where traffic laws/signalling counts for nothing,drive defensively at all times and ALWAYS expect the unexpected,the car driver should have thought beforehand about trying to sneak in and take on the big boys.......he won,t attempt this manoever again thats for sure...plonker :whistling:

The truck was in the "go straight on" lane with no turn signal on, so the car would have assumed he was going straight on..Even if the truck had his turn signal on he should be always using his mirror in case he cuts up someone in the designated U-turn lane, they have right of way. If the truck had his turn signal on I reckon the car may have backed off.

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indicators seen anyone?

I didn't.

The truck is on the right-turn lane, car on the U-turn lane.

Truck uses the U-turn instead of the normal turn a bit ahead.

It's not unusual that a truck needs two lanes for a U-turn.

(assuming there is no rule/sign that would forbid U-turns for such long vehicle)

BUT in this case at least have working indicators (turned on) AND look into the mirror thoroughly.

The car driver would have needed superstitious foreshadow.

9x% responsibility of the truck driver.

Yes, truck was using indicators, though maybe not before until just before the car drove up his near side, the blame lies with them both, from the truck drivers side, this situation needs more than just a quick glance in the mirror, if he did that at all. Even if the truck was late in indicating, the car should have held back as it is very common in Thailand for drivers not to use indicators.

9 minutes ago, petermik said:

The car was in an open lane, the lorry was in the turning right lane,  how was the car sneaking in ? sneaking in where?  how was he taking on the big boy's ? 

Truck was in the wrong cos it wasn't indicating, car was in the wrong for not seeing what would happen.

I've driven here long enough to know to give trucks and buses a very wide berth as you never know what they will do.

In a car or on a bike, you just don't put yourself in a position where you will get hit. Common sense 101.

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

You think the car driver should be a mind reader? The truck was not indicating, the truck was wrong.

The truck driver indicated too late, and should have been aware of any vehicle coming up his near side.

The car driver was not blameless.

39 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

For my 25 Satang's worth, I know if a truck has to do a U turn it needs 2 lanes , but it was in the lane for straight ahead ,the car was in the correct lane , the truck driver should not have done the turn unless he was certain no one was in the right lane , he obviously had no idea there was a car there and he gave no signal , 100% truck drivers fault .  There ................Day 1.' Cry havoc and set slip the dogs of war .' 

The truck driver actually did signal, but far too late, which is as bad as no signal at all.

Archived