Thai drivers license for drivng in USA ?

madox66

43 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

It's not the initial renting that's the problem.  It's what happens if you are in an accident.  Here, without and IDP, your insurance might not cover you.  But you can easily rent the car.

Car insurance will cover, travel insurance would depend on the policy conditions.

16 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The guy got a fine for not having an IDL.  I'd say that's an issue.  And it is all about insurance.  If you rent a car, get into an accident and it's determined you don't have an IDL as required by law, your insurance is not valid.  It happens here.

You keep referring to an IDL.

Do you actually mean IDL (International Driving Licence)  or IDP (International Driving Permit)?

There's a big difference.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, macahoom said:

You keep referring to an IDL.

Do you actually mean IDL (International Driving Licence)  or IDP (International Driving Permit)?

There's a big difference.

IDP.  The translation of your country's DL.  Sorry, but I've seen it referred to as both.  But you are right!  IDP.  At least that's what the one says that I got here in Thailand 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1

Within the US, drivers licenses (personal and not commercial or CDLs) are state-level matters, so each state sets their own rules about what kinds of out-of-state or non-US state issued they will accept as legal, for how long as with what (if any) conditions or restrictions..

In most of the states I've gone to and used my 5-year Thai DL, there was no issues as a) it is printed in English, B) I am/was not a state resident [or interested resident] and therefore subject to state licensing rules, and c) my period of use was less than 90days -- the 3 common conditions for using an out-of-state DL in that state.

Most of the car rental agencies I used mirrored these same restrictions, but a few went beyond - requiring an IDP additionally - but that was the exception and not the rule.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That's an issue in Italy. IDP is not required by law in Thailand, looking forward to examples where the insurance company has not paid out because of a lack of IDP. Of course the conditions of the travel insurance can require an IDP, and not having one violates those conditions. Your claim is 'as required by law', and as I said, please show us examplesof travel insurance claims denied because they did not meet the 'law' requirement.

And I'm not referring to not having a motorbike license but only an endorsement on a car license.

Stop.  Please.  Unless you can provide a credible link showing an IDP is NOT required in Thailand, then you are providing potentially incorrect info to members here.  I've shown links to credible sources saying it is a requirement.

You've also seen a member state that each state in the US has separate laws.  Enough, please.

https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving

Foreign Nationals Driving in the United States

People who drive in the U.S. must have a valid driver's license. Some states require an International Driving Permit (IDP) from foreign nationals, in addition to a valid license from your own country. Check with the motor vehicle department of each state you will drive in for its requirements.  

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 3:32 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Good question !
I also have the 2 year " temporary " license and am wondering the same thing.
Got my first Thai license in January 17 and she made a point of saying " the license is good for 2 years but you can renew it after 1 year ", seemed a bit strange at the time but maybe James2020 it will help you out ?

Thanks for the reply, Andrew.  It never occurred to me that I could renew the 2 yr Thai DL after 1 yr - hopefully for a 5 yr Thai DL...  I'll definitely try it when the time comes.  This may solve my problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, Andrew.  It never occurred to me that I could renew the 2 yr Thai DL after 1 yr - hopefully for a 5 yr Thai DL...  I'll definitely try it when the time comes.  This may solve my problem.

Hope it works for you and hope I've not given you some bum info, she definitely told me that and my gf confirmed it later on.
It doesn't apply to me as I have a UK license valid up to Jun 2019 so I can wait the 2 years , but maybe I'll try to upgrade after 1 year ( Jan 2018) just out of curiosity.

I don't know what the law says, but last week the Thai cops didn't want to let me leave until I produced mine. Same might happen in the US. Cops everywhere in the US like to play with people hoping to find probable cause. Having the documents they like to see and producing them without hesitation usually convinces them there's nothing suspicious. Even if there's no law that says it's a requirement there's probably no law that says they can't ask. 

• Like 1

An International drivers license or permit (different names for the same document) is a Document that "accompanies" your actual License, it is not a license. It provides proof that your license is valid (although it is valid without an IDL), a translation (if another language) of your license so the local police can read it and know its a license and not a gym membership card. Also, in the case of a license without a photo, provides a photo linking to your actual license. 

They go back to a time before photo licenses etc and are not really relevant except where a translation is required. 

The link below shows images of 100s of IDL/P,  zoom in and they all say the same thing, This is not a license, this is a translation of your license.  Read the fine print on any of the websites that offer them and they all say this is a translation document, not a license.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=international+driver+license&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjss-DI-K_TAhXGrY8KHUpBDXQQ_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=638

Yes, local police can ask for one, but at best its them asking for a translation of your license, as its not actually a license. And your valid home country license is valid.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, James2020 said:

The, not being able to drive overseas on a 2 year thai license, comes up often in these threads, But I have never seen any proof that its true other than "someone told me" or "I read it on Thaivisa". I would love to be shown some proof. 

I took a Thai GF to australia and asked at the motor vehicle dept (RTA) if she and myself could drive on 2 year license and the guy said, "if its a valid license in Thailand its a valid license in Australia"

Happy to be proven wrong, but I seriously think its a myth that keeps being perpetuated.

• Like 1

The, not being able to drive overseas on a 2 year thai license, comes up often in these threads, But I have never seen any proof that its true other than "someone told me" or "I read it on Thaivisa". I would love to be shown some proof. 
I took a Thai GF to australia and asked at the motor vehicle dept (RTA) if she and myself could drive on 2 year license and the guy said, "if its a valid license in Thailand its a valid license in Australia"
Happy to be proven wrong, but I seriously think its a myth that keeps being perpetuated.

Someone posted that they had used the 2 year Thai license in the US with no problem but as we all know different states have different rules.
Maybe the fact that it has temporary license on it is enough to cause some problems in some states in Trumpolandia [emoji51]

I have a UK license and have maintained it valid even though out of the uk sinc 95' so it's not an issue for me.

But I guess there will come a time when I can't renew my uk license and will rely solely on the Thai license, when this time comes I'd be happier with a Thai license that doesn't say temporary on it ( i.e. 5 years license) and will probably get an IDP also.
Maybe overkill and not necessary some will say, but I'd rather be prepared when trying to rent a car in Redneckville USA. [emoji51]
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The problem is that the Thai DL office will not issue an IDP with the 2 yr "Temporary" Thai DL, only with the 5 yr Thai DL.  So the question of whether an IDP is needed becomes important if you only have the Thai 2 yr license, and cannot get an IDP in Thailand.  When I asked National Car Rental customer service about renting a car in the US, I was initially told that I needed a "Thai DL" and an IDP.  But after reading this forum, I asked again about the need for an IDP and sent them a copy of my 2 yr Thai DL.  The response I got this time, from the same person, was that since my Thai DL was written in both Thai and English, I did not need an IDP to accompany it.  Therefore, it seems that I can rent a car in the US with my 2 yr Thai DL from National Car Rental without an IDP.  The question of what each state requires, or the case of an accident with the rental car were not addressed.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Can someone please confirm , as an update,   the docs required to get a IDL in Chonburi using my Thai licence ?

My UK licence ran out and I had problems hiring in the UK  , 2 years ago ,  using  just  my Thai 10 yr  licence to hire a car.

Interesting...I have a five-year Thai license and it has routinely been accepted by Hertz in several countries when renting their cars.  But alas, I haven't tried using it to reserve a car in the UK.

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎2‎/‎2561 at 8:26 PM, Fore Man said:

Interesting...I have a five-year Thai license and it has routinely been accepted by Hertz in several countries when renting their cars.  But alas, I haven't tried using it to reserve a car in the UK.

It was Enterprise in the UK  that refused to accept the Thai licence  -  I see they now own quite a few others -  Budget etc .

Fortunately I personally knew someone  else - who owned a tiny  UK  rental  co. and he fixed me up  no problem.

However for my next trip in April I will get  an IDL next week in Chonburi  - seems you need the UK passport , Thai licence, residence letter and 2 photos . I 'll let you know if there is anything  else .

9 hours ago, fullofmax said:

excuses me I havent red (is it red or read?) the thread.

If I as a foreigner have a thai DL can I obtain an IDL also and rent cars in other countries ?
I dont have a DL in my home country.

See Post # 73.  My advice is to check with the rental agency to be sure.

13 hours ago, fullofmax said:

excuses me I havent red (is it red or read?) the thread.

If I as a foreigner have a thai DL can I obtain an IDL also and rent cars in other countries ?
I dont have a DL in my home country.

Would depend on the country.

Quite often yes, possible on a temporary basis.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Chonburi I got my IDL last week , the documentation needed is  , a residence letter , Thai  Licence , passport , + copies of all  these plus baht 505 fee.

Driving from Pattaya  , go through Chonburi city , straight through  the main  Phamei Nikom turning , past the 14th military circle on the right  , under a couple of blue  colored   pedestrian walkway bridges and you should see it on the right. (do a  u turn)

There were about 80 people getting normal Thai licences but only two of us getting  an IDL.

The staff were very  helpful, took about 45 minutes.

• 6 months later...

FYI - I just returned from the US.  I had no problem renting a car in NY from National Car Rental using my 2 yr "temporary" Thai DL, without an IDP - no mention of one.  The Thai DL has the important information in both Thai and English.  Since I don't own a car anymore and don't have a US address (to allow me to buy auto insurance online), I had to buy National's auto policy, which seemed expensive.  My wife was included in the rental also, and she only has a Thai DL.  We both drove the car in NY only, for a month, and returned it as usual, without a problem.

• Like 1