Thai drivers license for drivng in USA ?

madox66

Only slightly off-topic (because you didn't ask advice about whom to rent from), but I arranged a rental car in the US a few years back with rentalcars.com, which is based in the UK. Before leaving home in Chiang Mai, I went through my wallet, making sure I had my frequent flyer cards, etc. I took out my Thai DL, thinking, "I won't need this." Got to the rental counter in Phoenix and was asked for my foreign DL. I said, "What do I need that for, here's my Wisconsin DL?" They showed me the fine print in the rental deal saying it was only available for drivers holding foreign drivers licenses. That deal went out the window, and I paid 3X the amount for the rental. Other than that, rentalcars.com is fine and has good deals.

I don't know the answer, but it'd be good to research.  In case of an accident, is an IDP required?  I know here in Thailand, if you are a tourist, your insurance won't be valid without one.  Even though rental agencies don't check.  But not needed if you have a valid Thai DL.

You're wrong, there is no legal requirement for an idp in Thailand if tourist. So insurance will be valid.
Police requiring one is a different story and discussion.

sent using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You're wrong, there is no legal requirement for an idp in Thailand if tourist. So insurance will be valid.

sent using Tapatalk

The AA (www.theaa.com) seem to infer something different. Can you point to a reference that confirms your post please.

See Post #24  Here we list every country that requires you to have an International Driving Permit

Edited by JAS21

2 hours ago, nickmondo said:

obviously the car rental companies in USA do not know that Thais are NOT taught to drive. To allow a Thai to drive in any other country apart from Thailand is just madness!!!

No. You are just one of those idiots who is always looking for an excuse to knock Thais. Unfortunately there at least a few of these for every subject posted.  I lived for a long time in the USA and then a long time here and I see no particular problem with Thai drivers. There are some crazies and some incompetents in both the USA and Thailand and I assume every country. And as far as I can see the requirements for getting a license are pretty similar in both countries.

7 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

No. You are just one of those idiots who is always looking for an excuse to knock Thais. Unfortunately there at least a few of these for every subject posted.  I lived for a long time in the USA and then a long time here and I see no particular problem with Thai drivers. There are some crazies and some incompetents in both the USA and Thailand and I assume every country. And as far as I can see the requirements for getting a license are pretty similar in both countries.

So in the US all you have to do is drive back and forth through some cones and then parallel park. I can assure you that the UK driving test is somewhat more complicated. Mrs Jas has (now lapsed) a UK licence and assures me that the Thai test is nothing like the UK one ... 

Edited by JAS21

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

For what little effort it requires, whatever country your DL is from, why would you not get one ? Better to have it and not need it - than need it and not have it. No brainer for me

Yes, of course.  And I can only imagine what difficulties you might have getting stopped by a small town cop who had never seen a foreign driver's license before and had no idea what to make of it. And maybe the people back at the police station wouldn't either.  You could be held up for a long time while they figure out what to do with you. In the USA there are states, counties, big cities, little cities and townships and all with their own police departments. 

8 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I don't know the answer, but it'd be good to research.  In case of an accident, is an IDP required?  I know here in Thailand, if you are a tourist, your insurance won't be valid without one.  Even though rental agencies don't check.  But not needed if you have a valid Thai DL.

Yes any valid drivers license is valid here or most other countries,  a valid drivers license from any country holds more validity than an international permit. Although both may not be valid after a period of time.

The AA (www.theaa.com) seem to infer something different. Can you point to a reference that confirms your post please.

See Post #24  Here we list every country that requires you to have an International Driving Permit

Yes, AA's worldwide say that, as it happens they are also the companies selling them.
The law says you don't need one, has been quoted many times here.

sent using Tapatalk

I see you've a lot of input, but here is my experience.

1. It is not an International Drivers License. It is a 'Permit'. 
  2. Your wife, with her Thai driver license, is authorized to drive in the USA on it. (The officer who stopped me for speeding informed me of this. I drive on my Thai license, but am a USA citizen).
  3. If you rent the vehicle on a USA license, you should not have a problem for her to drive on the Thai without an International Permit, but you might just get an a-hole at the car agency who wants to see one.
  4. The Thai license has everything in English that is in Thai, except for the home address. Being a second driver that shouldn't matter, but that just an opinion.
  5. I rented my last car in Texas with only my Thai license, (but I had the permit with me just in case).

Have a great trip and be safe.

I have only a 2 year Thai "Temporary" DL.  My US based DL recently expired.  I will not be eligible for my "Permanent" 5 year Thai DL for another year and a half.  Has anyone tried to rent a car in the US using the 2 year Temporary Thai DL?  I was told at the Thai DL office that they will only issue an IDP with the 5 year Thai DL. 

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

sent using Tapatalk

Many will disagree with you.  And I've personally read reports of people having insurance denied due to lack of an IDP.  As you know, insurance companies will do anything to avoid paying out.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

The balance of opinion currently (June 2013) and advice consistently given to visitors has been that an IDP is a legal requirement. In the light of different interpretations by unqualified TripAdvisor Members, either for or against the need for an IDP, it is recommended that Members reading this article do so in conjunction with advice from their own country's Royal Thai Consulates or Embassies or Motoring Associations or other accredited and authoritive sources.

I would say Richard Barrow knows more about this than most:

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2016/01/you-must-have-an-idl-if-you-want-to-drive-in-thailand/

You must have an IDL if you want to drive in Thailand

January 15, 2016
Richard Barrow

These guys know for sure.

An international driving license is accepted as long as it is valid, but a foreign license is not accepted in Thailand. 

15 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Many will disagree with you.  And I've personally read reports of people having insurance denied due to lack of an IDP.  As you know, insurance companies will do anything to avoid paying out.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

I would say Richard Barrow knows more about this than most:

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2016/01/you-must-have-an-idl-if-you-want-to-drive-in-thailand/

These guys know for sure.

No, these guys don't know for sure, they get their information from the AA. Which is also the main part of that TA information. All you need to do is look at the Thai law.

Believe what you want to believe mate, but you're wrong.

I had the same problem. Explaining how the law works in my own home country. Beating your head against the wall. For what it costs, and what little time is involved in getting one, seems foolhardy to not get an IDP before International Travel.

24 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, these guys don't know for sure, they get their information from the AA. Which is also the main part of that TA information. All you need to do is look at the Thai law.

Be careful what you recommend.  I'll stick with the recommendations of the US embassy.  Play it on the safe side.  I seriously doubt they get their info from AA! LOL

If you have a link, put it up.  But as I said, I have personally read reports from people who've been denied insurance because they don't have an IDP.  Fact.

I'd hate somebody to read this, not get an IDP, and then have problems.  Be careful with what you recommend.

25 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You have stated this several times now ...PLEASE identify the relevant bit of Thai Law  ...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

You have stated this several times now ...PLEASE identify the relevant bit of Thai Law  ...

Regardless of the Thai law, it's what the insurance company says.  If they require it, then you need to have it.  What I've read is people having their insurance invalidated due to lack of an IDL.  I've read this many times.

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Regardless of the Thai law, it's what the insurance company says.  If they require it, then you need to have it.  What I've read is people having their insurance invalidated due to lack of an IDL.  I've read this many times.

If the rental company wants an IDL, they wont hand you the keys unless you show them one, and the actual license that the IDL refers to.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If the rental company wants an IDL, they wont hand you the keys unless you show them one, and the actual license that the IDL refers to.

That's not true.  Many here will rent to anybody, license or not.  They just keep your passport for collateral.

I rented in France a few years ago.  I had an IDL, but left my US DL at home!  After an hour of arguing and begging, they let me go.  This was in a very small town in Northern France.

In Italy, I've read of many who rent without an IDL.  And also read about those who didn't have it getting in trouble when they have an accident.  LOL

An IDL "accompanies" and refers to your actual license, you dont get an IDL in isolation. Its like a note from your mum that says this guy has a real license, honest. Usually on the document it states your real license number, expiry date etc.

IDL is usually issued by a motoring organisation, they dont have a clue if your licence is valid other than looking at it, it may have been cancelled yesterday.

I know in Australia, most states do not require an IDL, a valid driving license if fine. The only exception being if your home license is not printed in English (Arabic, Chinese etc). That makes sense, otherwise you could be showing the police a gym membership card.

A valid license is a valid license in any country, an IDL is verification that the license is real. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

An IDL "accompanies" and refers to your actual license, you dont get an IDL in isolation. Its like a note from your mum that says this guy has a real license, honest. Usually on the document it states your real license number, expiry date etc.

IDL is usually issued by a motoring organisation, they dont have a clue if your licence is valid other than looking at it, it may have been cancelled yesterday.

I know in Australia, most states do not require an IDL, a valid driving license if fine. The only exception being if your home license is not printed in English (Arabic, Chinese etc). That makes sense, otherwise you could be showing the police a gym membership card.

A valid license is a valid license in any country, an IDL is verification that the license is real. 

Understood!  I've had many and have used them in many countries around the world.  I've probably rented cars in some 30 foreign countries, recent ones being Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria.  Next month will be Lebanon, Cyprus, Malta, Italy and France.  I was shocked I got a car in France with the IDL only!  Totally illegal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I rented in France a few years ago.  I had an IDL, but left my US DL at home!  After an hour of arguing and begging, they let me go.  This was in a very small town in Northern France.

That makes sense, your IDL is not a license, its just a document that says your US license is real. In reality you didnt have a license to show them.

This is were most of the misunderstanding comes from, its not a license its a document that verifies your actual license. It states on the IDL, "this is not a license" its proof you have a valid license.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I see you've a lot of input, but here is my experience.

1. It is not an International Drivers License. It is a 'Permit'. 
  2. Your wife, with her Thai driver license, is authorized to drive in the USA on it. (The officer who stopped me for speeding informed me of this. I drive on my Thai license, but am a USA citizen).
  3. If you rent the vehicle on a USA license, you should not have a problem for her to drive on the Thai without an International Permit, but you might just get an a-hole at the car agency who wants to see one.
  4. The Thai license has everything in English that is in Thai, except for the home address. Being a second driver that shouldn't matter, but that just an opinion.
  5. I rented my last car in Texas with only my Thai license, (but I had the permit with me just in case).

Have a great trip and be safe.

I also rented a hertz car at Dallas Texas airport last October with my Thai 2 year drivers license.  I had no issues and the hertz man seemed liked he had dealt with international drivers more than once. I am a USA citizen but my USA license needed to be renewed and I did not have my old USA license with me. I only had my Thai 2 year license. 

If you have car insurance then you should be good in an accident. If you get caught speeding or some finable offense driving with a foreign license the cop may ask you pay the fine at the squad car ( can use a credit card) or post bond for the fine in an amount of the proposed fine or just write you a ticket.  This is based on the state and county laws where you are caught speeding.  

As as long as you rent a car at any of the major car rental places you should not have any issues with the rental company accepting Thai DL in USA. Take care have fun 

Probably a photo is also required, there still are DL's around without and a photo is a pretty standard requirement.

sent using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I have done this many times already. I may do it again some time next week when I'm on the laptop again.

sent using Tapatalk

I'm sure that others will await with baited breath ... as I will :smile:

I have only a 2 year Thai "Temporary" DL.  My US based DL recently expired.  I will not be eligible for my "Permanent" 5 year Thai DL for another year and a half.  Has anyone tried to rent a car in the US using the 2 year Temporary Thai DL?  I was told at the Thai DL office that they will only issue an IDP with the 5 year Thai DL. 

Good question !
I also have the 2 year " temporary " license and am wondering the same thing.
Got my first Thai license in January 17 and she made a point of saying " the license is good for 2 years but you can renew it after 1 year ", seemed a bit strange at the time but maybe James2020 it will help you out ?
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Good question !
I also have the 2 year " temporary " license and am wondering the same thing.
Got my first Thai license in January 17 and she made a point of saying " the license is good for 2 years but you can renew it after 1 year ", seemed a bit strange at the time but maybe James2020 it will help you out ?

See my post above. I rented hertz car at Dallas Texas USA airport with my two year Thai license. No problem.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wake Up said:

See my post above. I rented hertz car at Dallas Texas USA airport with my two year Thai license. No problem.  

It's not the initial renting that's the problem.  It's what happens if you are in an accident.  Here, without and IDP, your insurance might not cover you.  But you can easily rent the car.