What do you do at Songkran? (Survey)

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I dig out the colorful shirt, put the phone in a waterproof case, don some eye protection, buy a midsized waterpistol and enjoy myself. 

If you want to participate, why not just leave the phone at home? If it goes off and you answer it, :shock1: I think you get the drift.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

If you want to participate, why not just leave the phone at home? If it goes off and you answer it, :shock1: I think you get the drift.

Good point, the case is basically for cigarettes, lol. Its sounds better if I say its for my phone.

I take the phone for the remote chance I may be able to get a couple of photos, lol

First time for me. At village. Parade. Food and drink. Blessings to in-laws. Threw water. Baby powder on face and put it on thais. Rode in back of truck. Fell in a reservoir of lillypads and much. No dancing. Sat in a hut as the rain fell. Wonderfully didn't think I would like it. More to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I am in Hua Hin celebrating Songkran with the gf , her sister and her 2 rugrats.
As this is my first Songkran I decided to enter into the spirit and got kitted out with the flowery shirt, bought the male lead weight a super soaker and off we went down to Market Village for starters then ended up by the fire station which seemed to be the hub of water enduced entertainment ( not surprisingly).
I had a good old time, didn't flinch when I got an ice cold bucket down my back, even took my cap and glasses off to let the kids fully soak a farang baldy !!
Now, showered and looking for food am happy in the knowledge that I've contributed to Thailands economy and shown that farang are not all stuffy and serious.

Having said that I think that this will not be a regular outing, going back home tomorrow and will only participate in another if family or friends insist .

One day, like today, a year I can handle, any more than that and I will turn into the typical grumpy old expat made famous by TVF.

Oh, we did do the temple visit and water over the Buddha yesterday, so my aspirations to be a Buddhist have been fulfilled also !!

.....farangs are not all stuffy and serious.    Well excuse me young man but I am not stuffy and serious I just don't like seeing folk enjoying themselves too much. I even picked up my ladyboy mate last night and as I drank a cold beer and watched him/her eat a prawn salad ....blah blah. Not just me , the whole town was shut , only one place open . What a boring comment , I might go to Pattaya next year .

We're in Hua Hin and it's pretty easy to avoid here. Stay out of the town centre and Market Village and you're ok. Also, it's all over in a couple of days here anyway. We had a bit of play yesterday as my daughter wanted to water fight with some of her school friends but that was it. 

The one and only time I have spent Songkran up country it was four days solid of drinking and water fights - starting very early and finishing late. It was good fun for a couple of days and I enjoyed the new experience but by day 4 it started to wear a bit thin. 

But overall I dont mind Songkran. I don't avoid it completely but don't go wild either! 

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Leave the country for 10 days. And before anyone asks, yes, I am a  miserable old git.

I shall return when the slaughter on the roads abates to their normal level of deadliness.

Sounds like we could form a club

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Why do some people boast about deliberately getting drunk? It's disgusting.:sad:

Seems to be a rite of passage been there done that. I thought it was time to give thanks to all those body parts that have faithfully stuck by me over the years of?? getting drunk. They are the real heroes to me. Its amazing how much abuse they took. Thanks liver, kidneys and anybody that I left out. You have been truly amazing. 

16 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I am in Hua Hin celebrating Songkran with the gf , her sister and her 2 rugrats.
As this is my first Songkran I decided to enter into the spirit and got kitted out with the flowery shirt, bought the male lead weight a super soaker and off we went down to Market Village for starters then ended up by the fire station which seemed to be the hub of water enduced entertainment ( not surprisingly).
I had a good old time, didn't flinch when I got an ice cold bucket down my back, even took my cap and glasses off to let the kids fully soak a farang baldy !!
Now, showered and looking for food am happy in the knowledge that I've contributed to Thailands economy and shown that farang are not all stuffy and serious.

Having said that I think that this will not be a regular outing, going back home tomorrow and will only participate in another if family or friends insist .

One day, like today, a year I can handle, any more than that and I will turn into the typical grumpy old expat made famous by TVF.

Oh, we did do the temple visit and water over the Buddha yesterday, so my aspirations to be a Buddhist have been fulfilled also !!

come over to CM genius and let me super soak you in the face with moat/sewage water. Considering that the moat water is the ''ammunition '' of popular choice and that the area is INFESTED with diseased rats I will promise you a good dose of the ''water'' that is  Contaminated with rat urine and rat shit,a good shot directly in your face/mouth.But I 'm sure you'll love it because you don't want to be a grumpy ,stuffy and serious farang OR how about a ruptured ear drum just like the one that happened to my friend's 75 year old mother last year when two backpacking   scmbgs ran up to her with a super soaker, just like the one you brag about having and shot her full force directly in her ear, purposely , rupturing her ear drum and causing permanent damage.....so when  can we expect you big mouth?

16 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

come over to CM genius and let me super soak you in the face with moat/sewage water. Considering that the moat water is the ''ammunition '' of popular choice and that the area is INFESTED with diseased rats I will promise you a good dose of the ''water'' that is  Contaminated with rat urine and rat shit,a good shot directly in your face/mouth.But I 'm sure you'll love it because you don't want to be a grumpy ,stuffy and serious farang OR how about a ruptured ear drum just like the one that happened to my friend's 75 year old mother last year when two backpacking   scmbgs ran up to her with a super soaker, just like the one you brag about having and shot her full force directly in her ear, purposely , rupturing her ear drum and causing permanent damage.....so when  can we expect you big mouth?

I stay home and watch the number of deaths, and accidents rise on the news.

I occasionally look out the windows in disbelief of the nonsense that I witness.

It all would be hilarious if it wasn't true. 

Which reminds me to cancel True cable T.V. next week!

It's a sad time when you have so many channels and many times can't find one station to hold your interest more than 30 seconds!

The super soaker that I bought for my 8 year old gf's nephew is hardly anything to brag about ! Just something for him to interact with the other kids. I also bought a 2 litre bottle of water so he could spray the other kids with clean water.
I am sorry for your friends 75 years old mother and can assure you that my gf's nephew had clear instructions on who he could soak and who he couldn't.

I'm sorry if you took my post badly and failed to see the humour I tried to generate whilst writing it.

I suggest in future if you see a post with my name on it you skip it and don't cause yourself any unnecessary stress by reading it .

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

Not been outside the gate today, not because it's Songkran but because I've had no reason to go out.

Wifey is going to mum's tomorrow, I'm staying home to look after the menagerie.

I'll take the opportunity to do some re-wiring of the generator control and add in more supply protection (turning the power off whilst SWMBO is home is "unwise"). Maybe start building my new workbench. I have all the steel needed.

If I do go out it will be in the car, direct to Tesco (Homepro or wherever).

Wiring completed, just cracked the first beer :smile:

Went to Global house and MegaHome this afternoon, got one bucket over the car, evidently the fun isn't being fun today (northern BKK).

38 minutes ago, Ryder88 said:

Easy easy you will leave the Songkrans naked without any comeback. They are hiding here waiting to pick the likes of you apart. I see 8 people were shot in Ayuttiya. Ah yes just good clean fun in a Future World setting. 

19 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

This year will be quiet with family.....The CM scene has gotten too drunkenly binged out that it's lost the appeal....

Yes it has. This "new" Songkran rather reminds me of the story about how Moses brought down the 10 Commandments from the mountain top. I think it is similar to what he faced when returning. 

19 hours ago, tonray said:

2015: My neighborhood in Sutthisan was deserted pretty much so no trouble except for a couple of little rugrats with water guns who nailed me on the last day.

2016: Bunkered down in Talat Phlu but got nailed when some drunk idiots threw water into the bus windows while waiting at traffic light on Phet Kasem road. Cop standing right there did nothing. Poor old woman on bus almost in tears as she bore the brunt of the dousing. That's the kind of crap that is ridiculous....nailing bus passengers at a stop light and the cops do nothing.

2017: In USA for Songkran

2018: Kuala Lumpur ?

The biggest problem for me is the lack of food vendors on the street....the inconvenience of having to find a supermarket is a pain when all the vendors disappear.

OMG.....its songkran, goes 2- 3 Days, its Thailand....whats the Problem....:passifier:

Its a shame that some of the op's had a typical songkran day and had to avoid it. We, on the other hand had a great day. They can say what they like about living in the North, but Songkran is not the same as Pattaya, Phuket, or BKK. We drove down to a place by the Pond, and its a huge pond. There was a band, a guy selling BBQ chicken and some local girls had set up a big stall, selling beer, noodles, pork scratchings and other tasty morsel's. The girls came round with talc and water.There was dancing and picnic's and even the big plastic boats, in the shape of animals, that you could paddle around the lake.There were no power guns, or idiots making your life misery.Everybody was dancing, getting on the stage to sing a song.Then we had a fire engine turn up,  and they turned on the power jet gun.Any body who wanted to get wet had the option of going out from the sheltered  area's and stand under the guns spray. Yours truly got soaked, but it was my own choice.The village girls came out(and a lot of them are truly beautiful)And danced and danced and sang.I was totally accepted, and was dragged up to dance with some really good looking girls.The village guys bought me several beers and i returned the favour.All in all it was a great day. We  had two cops come down, but they soon left when the only thing they saw were folks having fun.Yesterday was a great day,and today was great too.It was nothing like it is in Patts etc.When i lived there, i used to wake up on a Songkran day and really hated the thought of going out.

As i say, call it what you like, the boonies, the out back, backwards Isaan, but i would rather be here and have a good time than suffer some of the crap that goes on in the cities that think its fun to do what they do.

2 hours ago, Ryder88 said:

Examples of ear targeting:

Three years ago on the day itself, ( the 19th), one of these warriors put a high pressure gun filled with iced water about 6 inches away from my ear and let fly. Clearly a deliberate attempt to cause injury, ie burst eardrum.

Exsexyman, on 17 Apr 2013 - 12:26:

Last year I got a full blast of ice cold right in my ear. Earache for the next couple of days.

denby45, on 2014-03-21 11:22:04:
ear destruction
You don't need that ear, fool!

And don't forget about the powder, as apologists often do. Throw some into your eyes right now and see how it feels.

Edited by JSixpack

4 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Three years ago on the day itself, ( the 19th), one of these warriors put a high pressure gun filled with iced water about 6 inches away from my ear and let fly. Clearly a deliberate attempt to cause injury, ie burst eardrum.

Last year I got a full blast of ice cold right in my ear. Earache for the next couple of days.

ear destruction

And don't forget about the powder, as apologists often do. Throw some into your eyes right now and see how it feels.

I'm sorry? to whom is your post directed, because it was posted directly under mine.

6 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

ear destruction

I apologise for the mistake, i have just seen the recipient of the post.