Passport Washed Up

I am a US Citizen living in Thailand on a retirement visa.

Yesterday, I left my US Passport in the wash. It is now damaged.

How can I get a replacement for the US Passport? 

If I bring the old one to the US Embassy will they give me a replacement on fhe spot or ask me to apply for a new one? If I apply for a new one, do I get the same expiry date as my old passport or is my new passport good for ten years from the time I apply?

What about my retirement visa stamps? How can I replace? 

What if I have to show my passport for bank or hotel accommodation before the new one arrives

Luckily, I do have photocopies of my passport face page, visa page, and entry card.

Edited by prospero

Probably not applicable to the OP but just out of curiosity: can a temporary passport be used to get a new one-year extension of stay if waiting for the new standard passport would bring the foreigner on overstay, and after the new passport arrives have immigration transfer all necessary information from the temporary passport to the new passport?

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

Probably not applicable to the OP but just out of curiosity: can a temporary passport be used to get a new one-year extension of stay if waiting for the new standard passport would bring the foreigner on overstay, and after the new passport arrives have immigration transfer all necessary information from the temporary passport to the new passport?

Although damaged, and no longer valid for travel, I believe you should be able to get an extension of stay in the old damaged passport. Some immigration officials might decide to object, but stamps in a damaged passport are valid, and that ought to apply to new stamps as well as old ones.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Although damaged, and no longer valid for travel, I believe you should be able to get an extension of stay in the old damaged passport. Some immigration officials might decide to object, but stamps in a damaged passport are valid, and that ought to apply to new stamps as well as old ones.

A great post. And considering that they've got all data on their PC, it would be very easy to get eventually lost information back, including a letter from Immigration that all is fine.

OP, I'm afraid that you'll need a new passport no matter what you're planning to do, Get in touch with the embassy, there's also one in CM. 

Edited by ajarngreg

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

Yes, did it last month. Embassy made a mistake in issuing a new passport, so sent me a 1 years temporary the day before my extension had to be renewed.

2 weeks later I received my new passport and stamps were transferred.

11 minutes ago, chilidog said:

I have done this twice with the same passport few years ago. I never got a replacement just used it another 4-5 years until it ran out. Some stamps could be read others not so good but I never had any trouble.

Not advisable at all - any damage can be grounds to refuse entry/visa/use and traveling half way around the world to be returned to home country would not be a nice day.  If your passport is damaged in any way it should be replaced.

12 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Unless you require temp passport for emergency travel you must apply for a new passport at Embassy and will need to make appointment (passports are issued in USA so will take week to 10 days).  It will be valid for when issued for 10 years and once done Embassy will provide a letter that you take to immigration to transfer information of your visa and current stay.

Full information here - you will also need passport photos.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

Also be aware immigration use these situations to scammoney very likely they will charge you five hundred baht with no receipt and tell you it's a service fee.

2 minutes ago, ableguy said:

Also be aware immigration use these situations to scammoney very likely they will charge you five hundred baht with no receipt and tell you it's a service fee.

This passport replacement is a common procedure - I have done myself several times as have thousands of others and never has any payment been requested if paperwork in order.  Believe some have been asked to pay for copies required if they did not have available but there are normally no issues, other than a request for your Embassy to provide verification of passport perhaps (such as a letter asking for service).

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

This passport replacement is a common procedure - I have done myself several times as have thousands of others and never has any payment been requested if paperwork in order.  Believe some have been asked to pay for copies required if they did not have available but there are normally no issues, other than a request for your Embassy to provide verification of passport perhaps (such as a letter asking for service).

Perhaps you never had it done in Hua Hin, I remonstrated with the guy, he then changed pens to finish his job. Next time I went through swampy I was hauled in as they suspected my passport was a forgery, I explained to them what happened and they agreed  it was probably done deliberately.

9 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

A great post. And considering that they've got all data on their PC, it would be very easy to get eventually lost information back, including a letter from Immigration that all is fine.

OP, I'm afraid that you'll need a new passport no matter what you're planning to do, Get in touch with the embassy, there's also one in CM. 

Just out of curiosity, can the OP not go to Key Visa in Pattaya and talk to Darren there and get a new passport?

OMB :sorry:

Living in Thailand on retirement visa and still carrying passport in your....Pocket?

What seasoned international Traveller carries their pp in their pocket?

Invest in a small bag that you can hang around your neck.  It's not Rocket science. ?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Just out of curiosity, can the OP not go to Key Visa in Pattaya and talk to Darren there and get a new passport?

That is not possible for a US passport. Perhaps for  a UK passport but not a US one.

U.S. passports are NOT free and yes you can get a new one but it will cost you the normal fee. (82 dollars or the equivalent in Thai Baht).

Make sure you ask for a 54 page passport not a 32 page one.

You may need a police report but possibly not if you have the old passport you washed.

A U.S. passport usually survives the laundry okay, but you will probably have lost the Thai visa stamps in it.

In Bangkok your Thai entry and visa can be replaced with the letter the U.S. embassy gives you as your entry details are in the Thai immigration database files.

If your passport was lost or stolen the embassy will want a police report before they apply for a new one.

If you need a temporary passport, as I did to to establish your identity for a bank (I also lost my bank passbook with my U.S. passport), you can get a one year temporary passport with your application for a new passport.

The temporary one is actually free and good for one year, but you only get it after you pay the application fee for your new 10 year permanent  replacement passport.

I got my new replacement passport in only 7 days, but they tell you it may take 2 weeks.

There is a photo machine in the rear off the area of the embassy in Bangkok where the Thais go for U.S.. visas, but it makes lousy photos so I highly advise getting passport photos done outside of the embassy.

Your first problem will be making an appointment with the embassy to apply for a new passport on line.

In Bangkok you must appear at the U.S. embassy before 11;00 AM on the day of your appointment.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
Added a coment

4 hours ago, chilidog said:

I have done this twice with the same passport few years ago. I never got a replacement just used it another 4-5 years until it ran out. Some stamps could be read others not so good but I never had any trouble.

You got lucky. Some offices will not accept a damaged passport and some are down right finicky. Moral of the story you can't leave home without it and after the bible the most important document. 

Edited by elgordo38

20 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Unless you require temp passport for emergency travel you must apply for a new passport at Embassy and will need to make appointment (passports are issued in USA so will take week to 10 days).  It will be valid for when issued for 10 years and once done Embassy will provide a letter that you take to immigration to transfer information of your visa and current stay.

Full information here - you will also need passport photos.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

Save time & travel by completing the application and making the appointment online ahead of time.  You can definitely pay in $US (cash).  Pay attention to proof-of-citizenship reqts.

3 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Save time & travel by completing the application and making the appointment online ahead of time.  You can definitely pay in $US (cash).  Pay attention to proof-of-citizenship reqts.

He has a current passport - do you believe he needs something else?  

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Up to him.  He put his passport through the wash, damaged it, and now has to decide if he wants to risk traveling with it and having it possibly refused somewhere due to it having been damaged and being turned back.  Did you not read the OP's post?

5 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:
3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Up to him.  He put his passport through the wash, damaged it, and now has to decide if he wants to risk traveling with it and having it possibly refused somewhere due to it having been damaged and being turned back.  Did you not read the OP's post?

I rather suspect the comment was addressing your comment on proof of citizenship, not the advisability of traveling on a damaged passport

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I rather suspect the comment was addressing your comment on proof of citizenship, not the advisability of traveling on a damaged passport

If that's the question, I, as I originally did, would refer him to the online guidance.  It's quite detailed.  What he read from an online member forum somewhere probably doesn't carry much weight with the consular folks, do you think?