The New W. 10- 1703 "Songkran" update and more....

ajarngreg

I expect some upgrade folders have been left behind, which you can remove once you are satisfied Windows has upgraded properly for you.

Like for me, I have a "Windows.old" folder with 33.8GB in it and a "Window10Upgrade" folder with 19.9Gb in it...wow...that totals aground 54GB of space.    I did not have that Windows10Upgrade folder before the 1703 upgrade and I know I have deleted the Windows.old folder before.   Expect the folder were created when I upgraded from 1607 to 1703 last week.

The Windows.old folder could be removed by just running Disk Cleaner built into Windows under Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Free Up Disk Space,  Clean Up System Files, then checking Previous Windows Installation(s) for deletion/cleanup.

And according to below webpage the Windows10Upgrade folder can be removed by uninstalling the WindowsUpgradeAssistant using the Windows built-in Uninstall Programs functions.   

I'll probably leave these two folders alone for 30 days before removing them as I have plenty of free disk space and to play it safe just in case Windows 1703 needs to still grab a few of the files of installation as I use my computer over the next 30 days.  I will also do an image backup first just in case something goes wrong.

Below talks the WindowsUpgradeAssistant folder you may have depending on how you upgraded from 1607 to 1703.

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-safely-remove-windows10upgrade.10161/

Capture3.JPG.8e0b0de51d416267301ff465f9e5b9fe.JPG

15 hours ago, Pib said:

The Windows.old folder could be removed by just running Disk Cleaner built into Windows under Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Free Up Disk Space,  Clean Up System Files, then checking Previous Windows Installation(s) for deletion/cleanup.

Thanks for that.  Been a long time since I used the built-in disk cleaner, sticking to CCleaner these days.  Sure enough, there's Previous Windows installations weighing in at 20Gb!

After the 1607 install I noticed a big turd of a dir (could have been called Windows.old) and set about manually removing it; I messed it up so restored from a backup and put the cleanup idea aside until I was in a better mood.  A few days later the system cleaned itself up.  Let's see if it happens this time.

On another note, for those upgrading I think the method of the downloading the ,iso file mentioned above is a good way to go.  The .iso is about 3.4Gb in my case, I burned it to a USB thumb drive.  I now have a Windows 1703 repair disk, which I hope I'll never need.  When things go to crap (which my 1703 did the other day, something to do with the drivers for my new monitor, I think) I'll try a restore, saving the repair function as a last resort.

19 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Thanks for that.  Been a long time since I used the built-in disk cleaner, sticking to CCleaner these days.  Sure enough, there's Previous Windows installations weighing in at 20Gb!

After the 1607 install I noticed a big turd of a dir (could have been called Windows.old) and set about manually removing it; I messed it up so restored from a backup and put the cleanup idea aside until I was in a better mood.  A few days later the system cleaned itself up.  Let's see if it happens this time.

On another note, for those upgrading I think the method of the downloading the ,iso file mentioned above is a good way to go.  The .iso is about 3.4Gb in my case, I burned it to a USB thumb drive.  I now have a Windows 1703 repair disk, which I hope I'll never need.  When things go to crap (which my 1703 did the other day, something to do with the drivers for my new monitor, I think) I'll try a restore, saving the repair function as a last resort.

Not sure if the Windows Repair disk will work.

If you really want to be on the safe side, create a back up with Macrium, also create a boot -able memory stick should your system not start up.

Then you can boot with your memory stick into Macrium restore mode and you'll have your system back, exactly how you backed it up.

Depending on how many programs you've got installed, such a restore only takes between 20 and 50 minutes.

I've tried such repair disks with the former OS and it didn't really work out. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

It's free, very easy to use and very reliable. IMO much better than any other paid versions. 

10 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I booted up from the .iso

I was offered the menu option Repair Windows

Okay, but it doesn't mean that the Repair Windows really works. It didn't on the former version....I've tried it a couple of time sand always some fishy messages saying there's a mistake, bla bla...

Like I originally said let's hope the current day defender, which is Ver 4.11, is better than Ver 4.10 tested in Oct 16 by AV-Org testing organization.   Glad your scan found some stuff that apparently others didn't...and let's hope what was found was not false positives.   But I would have more confidence in the tests run by AV-Org than any one person.

7 hours ago, Pib said:

Like I originally said let's hope the current day defender, which is Ver 4.11, is better than Ver 4.10 tested in Oct 16 by AV-Org testing organization.   Glad your scan found some stuff that apparently others didn't...and let's hope what was found was not false positives.   But I would have more confidence in the tests run by AV-Org than any one person.

I recently came across something about Comodo firewall (can't recall where) that, in that dump of hacking tools & info supposedly revealed about U.S. intelligence,  that there is a gaping hole in it's security.  I'm posting this here for people considering alternatives to Defender.  I will not be looking into this myself: a few years back I was using Comodo firewall and during one of it's automatic updates my installation was hosed. All looked fine from the user interface side, so it took me a few weeks to find out I didn't have a functioning firewall any more, with no remedy or acknowledgment of the problem from Comodo.  So much for them and their products.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2017 at 11:42 AM, bendejo said:

... Been a long time since I used the built-in disk cleaner, sticking to CCleaner these days.  Sure enough, there's Previous Windows installations weighing in at 20Gb!

Just to follow up: app. 2 weeks after the 1703 upgrade, which took up 50Gb of space on C: drive it apparently cleaned itself up, and now is down to app. 40Gb, which is about what it was previously.

However, I was expecting it to clean the 20Gb I mentioned in the self-quote, so I wonder if I would have hosed the installation if I did my own cleanup sooner.

5 hours ago, bendejo said:

Just to follow up: app. 2 weeks after the 1703 upgrade, which took up 50Gb of space on C: drive it apparently cleaned itself up, and now is down to app. 40Gb, which is about what it was previously.

However, I was expecting it to clean the 20Gb I mentioned in the self-quote, so I wonder if I would have hosed the installation if I did my own cleanup sooner.

Take a look to see if your hard drive has either/both folders named

-Windows.old

-Window10Upgrade

If so, review post 31 to see how to remove.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/18/2017 at 1:59 PM, ajarngreg said:

I fully understand your post and understand how real time protection works. Just an example: A colleague wanted to gave something copied and I had to find out that she had the worst possible viruses and Trojans on her thumb drive.

I usually make a full scan that my PC doesn't get any of them, but forgot it once. Kaspersky then immediately found the culprits while W Defender didn't see anything abnormal.

I don't think that two AV systems are needed on this version, but i leave it on until it expires and i have the opportunity to scan some external drives.

BTW, Kaspersky 2017 Internet security comes with a lot of great tolls, for example The " Kaspersky Secure Connection", a VPN that allows me to use up 200 MB for free.

Great when doing any online banking, which is a very critical part of being online. I have no idea how good Windows will protect me doing any transactions by using PayPal, or other methods.

Just found your above post whilst looking for something else related to Kaspersky.

The initial purchase of Kaspersky 2017 Secure Connection is as you say only 200MB for free but, you can purchase a full year unlimited downloads for $29.99.   

From what I understand, reading between the lines, is the one year is from date of purchase of Kaspersky 2017 Total Security.   It also states that should you decide to purchase unlimited downloads after more than six months of installation of original disc then the 12 months cover may be reduced.    This is rather confusing, if I purchase unlimited after 4 months do I get one full year unlimited even if I don't renew Kaspersky or do I get only 8 months unlimited ?

No need to reply if you read this