Improperly stored raw meat among violations found at Trump's Mar-a-Lago

webfact

Improperly stored raw meat among violations found at Trump's Mar-a-Lago

By Bernie Woodall

REUTERS

r11.jpg

FILE PHOTO - The Mar-a-Lago estate is shown before U.S. President-elect Donald Trump departed with his family for New York, after spending the Thanksgiving holiday with family, in Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., November 27, 2016. REUTERS/Joe Skipper/File Photo

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (Reuters) - Undercooled meat, potentially dangerous raw fish and broken coolers were among 13 violations found by restaurant inspectors at Mar-a-Lago, the exclusive Florida resort owned by President Donald Trump, during visits in late January, state officials said on Thursday.

Mar-a-Lago representatives did not respond to requests for comment on the problems discovered at the private club, which charges $200,000 in initiation fees and has been dubbed the Southern White House. The officials said the infractions were fixed the same day.

This weekend, Trump is due to make his seventh trip as the 45th president of the United States to the Palm Beach property that he purchased in 1985.

The Florida Division of Hotels and Restaurants said three of the violations were deemed "high priority," meaning they could lead to illness-causing bacteria being served in meals. It said they were corrected immediately and the property's three kitchens brought into compliance before its inspectors left.

The Mar-a-Lago visit was routine and not prompted by any complaint, said Stephen Lawson, spokesman for the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, which oversees the hotels and restaurants division.

The inspections took place on Jan. 26 and 27, just days before the state visit of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. The worst violations included the failure to use proper parasite destruction on fish intended to be served raw or undercooked.

The other high priority infractions were for two broken coolers that were being used for raw meats meant to be stored at 41 degrees that were potentially dangerously warm, including ham at 57 degrees, beef at 50 degrees and duck at 50 degrees, according to inspection reports.

Other violations included sinks with water too cold to sanitize hands and rusty shelves inside walk-in coolers.

There was nothing unusual about the violations and state officials see no need to increase the routine cycle of surprise inspections beyond the usual twice a year, said Kathleen Keenan, a spokeswoman for the Florida regulator.

In a December 2015 inspection, a Mar-a-Lago kitchen was cited for four high-priority violations, which were also corrected the same day, records show.

It was not the first time a Trump eatery has gotten negative publicity since his November 2016 election. The restaurant in the lobby of Trump Tower in New York City was reviewed by Vanity Fair in December under the headline "Trump Grill Could Be The Worst Restaurant in America."

(Additional reporting by Barbara Goldberg in New York; Editing by Dan Grebler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-14

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, webfact said:

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (Reuters) - Undercooled meat, potentially dangerous raw fish and broken coolers were among 13 violations found by restaurant inspectors at Mar-a-Lago, the exclusive Florida resort owned by President Donald Trump, during visits in late January, state officials said on Thursday.

Broken coolers yeah sounds about right for a Trump operation. The word broken resonates to so many things. I hope they did not keep any Trump brand steaks in these coolers. 

But if this was the Hilton, or Hyatt in Beverley Hills, it wouldn't be reported, and certainly none of the above posters would be commenting on it if it was!!!

I suppose he was wrong to launch an attack on ISIS with the MOAB also??

Edited by F4UCorsair

4 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

But if this was the Hilton, or Hyatt in Beverley Hills, it wouldn't be reported, and certainly none of the above posters would be commenting on it if it was!!!

Nice try at deflection.  Again, he hires cheap foreign workers at Mar y Lago instead of paying decent wages to trained American workers. Had he hired well-educated professionals, this kind of thing wouldn't have happened. What a lowlife!

5 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Nice try at deflection.  Again, he hires cheap foreign workers at Mar y Lago instead of paying decent wages to trained American workers. Had he hired well-educated professionals, this kind of thing wouldn't have happened. What a lowlife!

It happens in hotels and restaurants around the world every day, not desirable, but it happens, and it has NOTHING to do with paying imported workers less than local workers, but more with the attitude of the workers, and perhaps the training they're given, and that would apply to ANY workers.

So was he wrong to launch an attack on the ISIS stronghold??

Edited by F4UCorsair

1 minute ago, F4UCorsair said:

It happens in hotels and restaurants around the world every day, not desirable, but it happens, and it has NOTHING to do with paying imported workers less than local workers, but more with the attitude of the workers.

So I guess you don't believe in skilled labor.

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

Don't know the truth of this and don't care. If Trump paid people who studied culinary arts - which would cost more - this kind of problem wouldn't happen,  Instead he imports workers from poor nations where sanitation standards are a lot lower.  He is such a hypocrite.

But if trained would be up to scratch.   There may well be Americans working there also.  You, and I, don't know that there aren't, and if there are, would you still blame Trump for importing workers?

No point in continuing this discussion because neither of us can say, with any knowledge, that ONLY foreign workers from countries with poor sanitation standards are employed there.

No problem, just marinate it in some tubs full of Trump Vodka that never sold.  Then Trump can cook it with the lying breath that comes out of his mouth.  Voila; Trump cuisine.

Then he can give the left-over vodka to tramps in Miami.   Like Mao giving VD to 14 yr old girls he boom boomed, nothing bad can ever come from Mao or Trump, if you were to ask them.

1 hour ago, F4UCorsair said:

Don't worry about it; I am sure it was fake news.

In the last few days...

• He has bombed Syria
  • He has sent the Navy to threaten the North Koreans
  • He has dropped the Mother Of All Bombs in Afghanistan
  • And now it seems he tried to poison the Chinese President...

1 hour ago, F4UCorsair said:

But if trained would be up to scratch.   There may well be Americans working there also.  You, and I, don't know that there aren't, and if there are, would you still blame Trump for importing workers?

No point in continuing this discussion because neither of us can say, with any knowledge, that ONLY foreign workers from countries with poor sanitation standards are employed there.

That any low paid foreign workers are there is disgrace enough given their employers rhetoric and promises.

3 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

It happens in hotels and restaurants around the world every day, not desirable, but it happens, and it has NOTHING to do with paying imported workers less than local workers, but more with the attitude of the workers, and perhaps the training they're given, and that would apply to ANY workers.

That is not the attack that bothers me the possibility of this does. From a newsletter I receive

The U.S. is prepared to launch a preemptive strike with conventional weapons against North Korea should officials become convinced that North Korea is about to follow through with a nuclear weapons test, multiple senior U.S. intelligence officials told NBC News.

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

In the last few days...

• He has bombed Syria

I think the Chinese president choked on his lunch while reading about the first 3 on your list. 

On 4/14/2017 at 0:54 PM, ilostmypassword said:

Maybe he should start hiring some Americans who have studied in culinary schools  to work in his kitchens instead of the low wage workers here on H1B visas.

..Korean kitchen staff are very good at their work.

The only reason this makes the news is because it is owner by  President Trump and I am sure he has nothing to do with the running of the place. 

We need more people in positions of authority like him. I hope that he is president for as long as possible.!!!!!

9 minutes ago, rodney earl said:

The only reason this makes the news is because it is owner by  President Trump and I am sure he has nothing to do with the running of the place. 

We need more people in positions of authority like him. I hope that he is president for as long as possible.!!!!!

No,  this has made news because Trump is using a functioning business as a second White House,  for "wining and dining" foreign dignitaries.  I am sure there would be the same , if not greater outcry,  if the FDA inspected the "real " White House kitchen and found it to not be in compliance with health and sanitary laws

But wait,  White House staff are vetted by the Secret Service and as such are probably more likely to be US citizens than the staff at a private club  

I think this is a little bit of a bigger issue than if it were another place.   The President entertains foreign dignitaries and feeds them.   I think we would have a problem if there was a food-security incident as a result.   

14 hours ago, Basil B said:

In the last few days...

• He has bombed Syria

As always, he's one card short of a full house.

15 hours ago, Basil B said:

In the last few days...

• He has bombed Syria

I doubt the Chinese president would be part of a Japanese state visit.

The inspections took place on Jan. 26 and 27, just days before the state visit of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

8 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

I think Moab has passed on According to the biblical account, Moab and Ammon were born to Lot and Lot's elder and younger daughters

That quote is not from my posts--see post #15--another issue from the recent mods to TV