Pool underwater lights wiring

carlyai

Emaux tgrsansformers are not  supplied with  Emaux lights in Thailand. Most  transformers are locally  manufactured. Don't  expect certified compliance with  foreign  standards  even if they  are made to  those standards.

Underwater lights  are usually  wired to  individual transformers using  a deckbox as illustraged in  the installation  manual.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19/04/2017 at 1:21 PM, Crossy said:

It's called SELV (Separated Extra Low Voltage), one would assume that big name (Emaux) kit specifically designed for pool lighting would meet this requirement.

A modern "transformer" is unlikely to be an actual transformer, more likely a switch-mode power supply, these can of course also meet the requirements of SELV.

Emaux do  not  supply transformers for  Thailand with  their underwater lights. Retailers have the choice of either getting  locally  made transformers offered by  the Bangkok  Emaux agent or obtaining  them from  another local  wholesaler or manufacturer. It  is unlikely that Thai  electrical  equipment, even if of an equivalent  standard, is certified for  compliance with  foreign standards. The transformers stocked by  SwimmingPoolsThailand are the ones provided by  the Emaux agent.

• 2 weeks later...

And here's the transformer. Ripped of for the postage ($90 from Aus) and B 1350 import duty. Grrrrr. Time to dial a muzzy.

But it's a pretty sexy transformer. [emoji3]

20170504_134851.jpg.f5236c9a7834a83f2fef551f28ce91ad.jpg20170504_134912.jpg.a2b73e61adab23f021e7abee1443670b.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a while. Again I am missing something and ask for advice.

I have run my pool lighting wires, individually, from my transformer, through 4 switches to be connected to each light.

I still can't grasp how the conduit is connected to each light.

It seems, from the installation diagram, that the conduit just enters and sits in the back of the light. There were no fittings supplied with the light to attach the conduit to the light.

From the picture of the light fitting you can see a large hole, with mounting holes around, but there were no brackets or information on attaching the conduit.

So, if I follow the light installation leaflet, when the light is in the pool water, the water travels up the conduit to the height of the pool water, which is below the pool wire terminating junction box.

I don't like the idea of having the water in the conduit, but I can't see anything in the installation booklet that lets me terminate the conduit to the light fitting round hole.

I thought there might be a conduit connector that I could mount to the light frame, then glue in my conduit and silicon off the conduit opening where the wire comes out.

I know that eventually I will get some water in the conduit, but I don't want to start off with a conduit filled with water up to the pool height.

I have not used the recommended Eumax terminating boxes, (to me they would have looked ugly sticking up on the grasses side of the pool), but will join and solder the wires above the water line, then protect the joint with heat shrink.

The conduits run back to the pool room above the pool fill level.

20170603_035109.jpg.7b71734c9997701f6a2b85b2c290a662.jpg

20170603_035130.jpg.ecb9409303f3b834582e23be80ecfe7e.jpg

20170603_035236.jpg.3aa9ea84ee746fbf4b0ebe98d4c29675.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hi Carl. The conduits are supposed to be flooded and your connections terminate above the waterline in a deck box.

Sealing of the wire in the conduit using silicone is not recommended.

Deck boxes are necessary for future maintenance and easily hidden.

I would not wire-up pool lights as you describe above. IMHO.

IMG20170416092848.jpg

Hi Grollies,

What I don't understand is why you're install wire in a conduit, and then flood the conduit!

My soldering would be above the waterline like the deck boxes.

The whole conduit pipe area is enclosed in concrete and covered in tiles. The connection allows enough cable left at the back of the light to remove it and place it on top of the pool coping for maintenance if there is a light problem.

I know you have done it the recommended way, but I can't see what's wrong with my way.

So really I don't want deck boxes and conduit filled with water.

I looked at the light cable, and it doesn't seem to meet NYY specs, double insulation is not thick enough.

I still need enlightenment.

Use the deck box .  

Don't cut the cable from the lamp it acts as an umbilical if you need to change the bulb depending on type, Using the deck box makes replacing the lamp easier as the old cable acts as a draw wire, important use the largest conduit you can USE LONG RADIUS BENDS

The lights look like Emaux lights - IMO a good choice in brand. The advice provided by grollies is correct.

However, the place to get absolutely certain professional advice would be your vendor -  always assuming they are a genuine, competent pool company.

Use the deck box .  
Don't cut the cable from the lamp it acts as an umbilical if you need to change the bulb depending on type, Using the deck box makes replacing the lamp easier as the old cable acts as a draw wire, important use the largest conduit you can USE LONG RADIUS BENDS

I understand about the long cable. My idea is to still have the long cable, but not the deck boxes, but to solder the two cables together and protect in shrink on insulation.

6 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I understand about the long cable. My idea is to still have the long cable, but not the deck boxes, but to solder the two cables together and protect in shrink on insulation.

Just one caveat (we've been distributing and installing the Emaux brand of lights for over 10 years), if anything  goes wrong with  these lights during the guarantee period, the Emaux service centre in  BKK will  require photos of your electrical installation. If the lights have not been installed according to their instructionss (i.e. through a deck box), in  our  experience they will probably not entertain the warranty claim.

Maybe I can put it another way.
What's wrong with soldering 12 V cables together and protecting the soldered joint with waterproof shrink on insulation? Then mounting them above the pool fill level?

I don't want to use the deck boxes.

Surely there's more than one way to safely wire pool lights?

27 minutes ago, carlyai said:

What's wrong with soldering 12 V cables together and protecting the soldered joint with waterproof shrink on insulation? Then mounting them above the pool fill level?

Probably nothing, but if all the underwater light manufacturers and professional  pool builders all over the world use deck boxes, why go against the grain? And as our sponsor said, why  compromise your guarantee?

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

Maybe I can put it another way.

I don't want to use the deck boxes.

Surely there's more than one way to safely wire pool lights?

Carl, how will you change a defective light if the connection from transformer to pool light is buried under your concrete decking?

reason?

They won't fit in with the aesthetic beauty of my Isaan yard and free range chooks.

The back veranda tiles will be level with the pool coping, but near the shed, the pool is a lot higher. If I put in a meter perimeter for the boxes I won't be able to get in the shed door. It's called planning (or lack off).
I could put in the boxes like Grollies, his looks good, but mine will be too high, me thinks.

Anyway, I can have enough spare cable to get the failed light out and replace it if I solder the connections.

If the mean failure rate of the LED lights is 13000 hrs (I've no idea), I'll be replacing my next one in my 80s and I'll send you a message on TV and let you know.

20 minutes ago, carlyai said:

They won't fit in with the aesthetic beauty of my Isaan yard and free range chooks.

Free-range chooks are going to shit all round your pool deck. Get rid of them.

The back veranda tiles will be level with the pool coping, but near the shed, the pool is a lot higher.

move the shed

If I put in a meter perimeter for the boxes I won't be able to get in the shed door. It's called planning (or lack off).

I could put in the boxes like Grollies, his looks good, but mine will be too high, me thinks.

They'll never look as good as mine. (:smile:).

Anyway, I can have enough spare cable to get the failed light out and replace it if I solder the connections.

You realise you can't change the cable out at the light, it's a sealed unit?

If the mean failure rate of the LED lights is 13000 hrs (I've no idea), I'll be replacing my next one in my 80s and I'll send you a message on TV and let you know

Nothing worse (well, OK, there is) than an angry 80 year old  shouting at the wife and contractors to sort out problems of their own making.

At the end of the day mate it's your build, you're paying and you can have it any way you like. There's some good advice above though.

PS, I'm going to be up your way in July. I was going to come up this month but you haven't finished the pool yet.

:smile:

3 minutes ago, carlyai said:

You should be here now sitting with me on the banks of the mighty Mekong looking at Lao.
1496489565690.jpeg

Looks awesome mate.

You been for a swim in it yet? :cheesy:

Only kidding. We've had a day out at a dam today. Tried driving all the way round.

Got lost and ended up at a rubber processer. Turns out the owner knew two friends of ours.

Small world, but make it your own....

That's some view.

13 minutes ago, cloudman said:

where can these LED lights be purchased and price?

Swimming Pools Thailand sells them. But they are fairly well distributed throughout Thailand. You can get them online  or in their regional stores.

My LED pool lights all have their connection behind the lamp, and have the connections taped with 3M self fuse tape.

6 year and no problem. Had one light  removed and placed back again about 2 years ago, because someone had stepped on the light and cracked the bracket.

My lights are built on, with one on the floor in the jacuzzi.

If this is your current view of the mekong, you may have had one or two too many of those Leo's. The can should always be kept upright unless your drinking it.

No, No, it's never my fault. I forgot that when I take pics. from the camera and post, they always are wrongly oriented, but when I save them first, then post they are OK.

My LED pool lights all have their connection behind the lamp, and have the connections taped with 3M self fuse tape.

6 year and no problem. Had one light  removed and placed back again about 2 years ago, because someone had stepped on the light and cracked the bracket.

My lights are built on, with one on the floor in the jacuzzi.

I like this, a man thinking outside the box. Is the taped connection immersed in water?

Archived