Pool underwater lights wiring

carlyai

where can these LED lights be purchased and price?

thanks

I have the P-100 Eumax changing colour lights (think it's P-100).
As said you can get them from many suppliers.
They feel like a well made light, but who knows what's in the sealed section that must house an A.C. to DC converter, LED driver and LED lamp (I think).

I'm still to do more investigation on the light cable, as, on first looks; it doesn't look like NYY specified cable, well the double insulation thickness is not the same as my NYY cable run. If it's not NYY, cable then it probably shouldn't be in the ground and immersed in water.
Will have a look tomorrow when I get back home.
I think the prices of the lights are outrageous anyway.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/04/2017 at 8:52 AM, SwimmingPoolsThailand said:

Emaux tgrsansformers are not  supplied with  Emaux lights in Thailand. Most  transformers are locally  manufactured. Don't  expect certified compliance with  foreign  standards  even if they  are made to  those standards.

Underwater lights  are usually  wired to  individual transformers using  a deckbox as illustraged in  the installation  manual.

Just as a matter of interest, why are certified transformers not supplied along with the lights?

I received 'locally made' transformers with my Emaux lights last year. They are shocking quality (pun intended).

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

I like this, a man thinking outside the box. Is the taped connection immersed in water?

Since it is behind the light itself, and those lights are mounted on the wall and under water, I assume so.

22 minutes ago, grollies said:

Just as a matter of interest, why are certified transformers not supplied along with the lights?

I received 'locally made' transformers with my Emaux lights last year. They are shocking quality (pun intended).

Transformers are by their very nature, very heavy and costly to import in spite of having a relatively low manufacturing cost.

The time to criticise the quality is when they don't do what they are supposed to do. I have 12 of those locally made transformers supplied with the lights when my pools were built 10 years ago and they are all still working perfectly.

Transformers are by their very nature, very heavy and costly to import in spite of having a relatively low manufacturing cost.
The time to criticise the quality is when they don't do what they are supposed to do. I have 12 of those locally made transformers supplied with the lights when my pools were built 10 years ago and they are all still working perfectly.

Sorry, I can't take that excuse. Thailand can manufacture anything transformer wise.

3 hours ago, Chaichara said:

What has their weight got to do with anything? Pool light transformers don't weigh much and I for one would pay for something better than Emaux supplied. I'd be interested to see a photo of your transformers.

@carlyai had the right idea buying from Aus.

A plastic cover would be a good start, I'm sure Thai manufacturers could do better than this.

Note the CE mark - yeah, right and the date of manufacture.

I'd also be interested in what @Crossy and the forum sponsor makes of them?

IMG20170604130432.jpg

I've just checked my NYY run of cable for the lights and the Eumax cable, that is supposed to be permanently immersed in water.

To me the cable double insulation is not anywhere near the size of the NYY cable.

Still, if reputable pool companies have been installing it for years, it must be OK.

20170604_131525.jpg.b499268bc9ee286147d05cdacc2bdbb5.jpg20170604_131602.jpg.d6a2a263302bed6547e7f0c4c4266fb2.jpg20170604_131808.jpg.3f7753bd4162396950f032cdb0dadb4e.jpg

goodness gracious! 68 postings (including this one) pertaining to some früggüng pool lights, transformers and connection boxes :shock1:

what's next? best options to prevent a potential Ebola virus invasion of the imported filter sand from the Himalayas? :unsure:

As I have reminded people in the past, we are building pools not nuclear reactors, one can over engineer and completely loose track on what they were trying to achieve in the first place..

CE marks really don't mean nothing unless you have the certificates or copies of them.

The transformers  as shown need to be put in a suitably  ip rated enclosure or cabinet that is what they were designed for.

interesting program

Fake Britain - Fake Electrical Cable - YouTube

54 minutes ago, sappersrest said:

As I have reminded people in the past, we are building pools not nuclear reactors, one can over engineer and completely loose track on what they were trying to achieve in the first place..

CE marks really don't mean nothing unless you have the certificates or copies of them.

The transformers  as shown need to be put in a suitably  ip rated enclosure or cabinet that is what they were designed for.

interesting program

Fake Britain - Fake Electrical Cable - YouTube

I don't really understand your post.

I kind of expected you to have certain minimum standards when you get involved in pool builds, no, we're not building nuclear reactors and, yes, my transformers are housed in a suitable cabinet, mounted on a thick rubber strip.

But I did initially expect a bit of a better transformer, not much to ask but, hey, I suppose TIT.

I don't think this could be construed as 'over-engineering' though, nor completely loosing track of a design & build.

Could be seen as applying a minimum standard.

But you can only pi$$ with the dick you've got.

12 minutes ago, grollies said:

my transformers are housed in a suitable cabinet, mounted on a thick rubber strip.

my transformers are mounted on a wall inside my home 10m distance from the pool... without any rubber strip. power to the transformers was switched off by order of my wife after she read that people in Thailand are prone to be electrocuted by pool light transformers. i hope she does not read this thread because i fear the next order would be "buy thick rubber strips and glue them on the transformers NOW!"

5 minutes ago, Naam said:

my transformers are mounted on a wall inside my home 10m distance from the pool... without any rubber strip. power to the transformers was switched off by order of my wife after she read that people in Thailand are prone to be electrocuted by pool light transformers. i hope she does not read this thread because i fear the next order would be "buy thick rubber strips and glue them on the transformers NOW!"

I bet you have very few pool light replacements with he power to the transformers switched off.

9 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I bet you have very few pool light replacements with he power to the transformers switched off.

amazing and true! how did you arrive at that conclusion? :laugh:

Naam I tell you all the time to switch on the lights and buy thick rubber strips and glue them on the transformers NOW!

Direction from Mrs Naam.

54 minutes ago, grollies said:

I don't really understand your post.

I kind of expected you to have certain minimum standards when you get involved in pool builds, no, we're not building nuclear reactors and, yes, my transformers are housed in a suitable cabinet, mounted on a thick rubber strip.

But I did initially expect a bit of a better transformer, not much to ask but, hey, I suppose TIT.

I don't think this could be construed as 'over-engineering' though, nor completely loosing track of a design & build.

Could be seen as applying a minimum standard.

But you can only pi$$ with the dick you've got.

It was my attempt at humor obviously failed miserably.

48 minutes ago, Naam said:

Kinda my point. If your laptop transformer came with no plastic casing, only a metal one, what would you do?

As I mounted them in a steel box I thought it reasonable to bolt them to the box with a bit of insulation underneath. The rubber strip was leftover waterstop.

I'm no electrician but insulating a bare transformer made sense to me whatever you may think.

22 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

May be try to rerad your own post again.

Hint : insulating

Er....I thought I had insulated them from the box. Plus the box is earthed. The inside of the door is also fully insulated. The rubber insulation is 1/4" thick and there is an air gap of around 3". The box is bolted to an outside wall and the gap siliconed around.

The only thing I was going to buy (and still might) is one of these.

Possibly over-engineered?

You may be right though, what would you suggest?

images-84.jpg

1 hour ago, grollies said:

IMG20170604130432.jpg.922382ffee469be2fb

As I mounted them in a steel box I thought it reasonable to bolt them to the box with a bit of insulation underneath. The rubber strip was leftover waterstop.

I'm no electrician but insulating a bare transformer made sense to me whatever you may think.

Not trying to yank your chain  ...but those appear to be metal screws through the metal mounting pads of the metal transformer holding it against a rubber strip but still making good electrical contact (thanks to the included washers) to the steel box    ...so the rubber should at least reduce any tranformer vibration.

I trust you have a Earth Ground Wire connected to the steel box enclosure, an a RCD upstream.

Archived