Pictures of your front gate

kannot

As requested by another member, whats your  front gate  like, mine I finally finished yesterday as the gatemaker was very  busy, had to wait 8 weeks. I have two of these gates,  one at each end of the land

20170415_152156.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Those look pretty nice Kannot.

Here are ours, from outside -

post-14979-0-87108000-1349490729.jpg

and from inside

post-14979-0-54331700-1349490724.jpg

Photos were taken before the electric openers were installed.

Looks  good.Just  installing my electric  opener  now,  I do  like the aluminium wood ( assume it is aluminium?)

I could  only have a flat top due to the "hats" on the columns.

I wanted a  fairly simple  design, the two gates 4.8m x 1.8metres were 106k baht inc  fitting except I fitted the rail myself and the electric  motor myself, bought two electric  motors  one as a spare for the inevitable failure at some point.

1 minute ago, kannot said:

Looks  good.Just  installing my electric  opener  now,  I do  like the aluminium wood ( assume it is aluminium?)

I could  only have a flat top due to the "hats" on the columns.

I wanted a  fairly simple  design, the two gates 4.8m x 1.8metres were 106k baht inc  fitting except I fitted the rail myself and the electric  motor myself, bought two electric  motors  one as a spare for the inevitable failure at some point.

The shiny stuff is stainless and the wood is real wood (mai daeng), needs refinishing every couple of years as they get full sun.

They were about 30k six years ago, probably significantly more now.

The gates now.

20170416_122344.jpg

The greenery has grown somewhat, the water meter is in that lot on the right, the man has a mirror on a stick to read it (we are evidently not the only place with a " difficult" meter).

The observant will notice a slight misalignment of the gates. This is due to the gate posts moving outwards despite the weight of the gates. The whole retaining wall on both sides moved by about 2" during the really dry weather, things weren't helped by the concrete gate beam not being properly (OK at all) tied at each end. I dropped some concrete in the gap about 12 months back to see if it's still moving, it isn't (at present).

Our three power poles suffered the same fate, they weren't exactly vertical when installed, they are now definitely not exactly anything.

Oh well, TiT I suppose :smile:

SWMBO designed and had this side gate built. Unfortunately she changed the beautiful [emoji21] purple colour to green.

Can't be tooooo flash, like some spoilt, under exercising people and put in an auto gate opener, as if you keep driving you fall in the big water tank.
SWMBO is just an advisor (sorry, dynamic as different to passive advisor), on the water tank project.
20170417_074756.jpg20170417_074840.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Thanks Kannot. I was the member that asked you to post. Did you get that fabricated locally to your design?

I notice in some pics in the thread that some of you have lighting  on the gate posts some do not. For those that don't was it a conscious choice and is their a reason why you chose not to have lights. 

All you guys with the stainless steel gates, how do you maintenance the stainless part ?

Do you guys repolish it, or do any other type of cleaning?

What do you use ?

My worker polishes mine with Brasso, but they just don't get that "new" look anymore ....

(they are about 15 years old now)

rudi

gate.jpg

3 minutes ago, luudee said:

All you guys with the stainless steel gates, how do you maintenance the stainless part ?

We've done absolutely nothing to our stainless gates since they were installed 6 years ago.

The wood bits have been re-finished several times of course.

5 minutes ago, luudee said:

What do you use ?

My worker polishes mine with Brasso, but they just don't get that "new" look anymore ....

rudi

gate.jpg

There are different grades in stainless, most use 304 because it is cheaper than 316, but the latter is more corrosion resistant to salts

4 hours ago, luudee said:

which i think is a good thing. in my [not so] humble opinion new stainless steel fences and gates look quite obscene. but then... mileages vary. i'm sure that some people find parts of our home (inside and outside) extremely obscene.

:unsure:

On 4/17/2017 at 8:50 AM, AJBangkok said:

I notice in some pics in the thread that some of you have lighting  on the gate posts some do not. For those that don't was it a conscious choice and is their a reason why you chose not to have lights. 

We had lights fitted initially because there were no soi lighting at the time. 

On 4/17/2017 at 8:50 AM, AJBangkok said:

Thanks Kannot. I was the member that asked you to post. Did you get that fabricated locally to your design?

Am in the process of concreting my entrance driveway and will install NYY underground cabling under the concrete for lighting. I dint want post top lights

The gates were made down South somewhere, the reason for this was it was a neighbours  son's business and we trusted them to not do a crap job.

On 4/17/2017 at 11:20 AM, luudee said:

What do you use ?

rudi

gate.jpg

Autosol metal polish will get them good  but its a tedious  task

On 4/17/2017 at 11:20 AM, luudee said:

What do you use ?

rudi

gate.jpg

Hi rudi...Just spray WD40 on it and polish it that way....

We have lots of customers with stainless gates.

If you can't find AutoSol ? Wenol will work.

53-000100-Wenol%20metal%20cleaner%20and%

Available at HomePro, Tesco-Lotus etc.

Not as good in my opinion but... AutoSol is getting harder to find.

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

We have lots of customers with stainless gates.

If you can't find AutoSol ? Wenol will work.

53-000100-Wenol%20metal%20cleaner%20and%

Available at HomePro, Tesco-Lotus etc.

Not as good in my opinion but... AutoSol is getting harder to find.

Thank you Neal, we have tried Wenol, and are not very happy with it either. Brasso is a bit better, but still not "agessive" enough ...

When the Thai guys initially installed it, they had a spray bottle with some clear liquid, that would remove any dirt and make the steal shine.

That particular shop has disappeared since then, and other stainless shops I have visited refer me to Wenol or Brasso.

Back then I didn't think about asking them. I just remember that they DID not use gloves or facial covers.

rudi

Has anyone tried the Stainless Cleaner to be found amongst the stainless cookware in Tesco etc?

As noted earlier, we don't clean ours, they still look just fine in the greenery :smile:

1 hour ago, luudee said:

When the Thai guys initially installed it, they had a spray bottle with some clear liquid, that would remove any dirt and make the steal shine.

That particular shop has disappeared since then, and other stainless shops I have visited refer me to Wenol or Brasso.

Could have simply been vinegar. Worth a try as it is cheap at Tesco.

Do you use the Wenol with Scotch-Brite or simply with a rag. 

Living near the coast (Pattaya, Hua hin) makes it worse. 

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Has anyone tried the Stainless Cleaner to be found amongst the stainless cookware in Tesco etc?

In a previous life? I tried that cleaner on stainless urinals in a bar. It didn't do squat. I think elbow grease is the only real choice?

Archived