Denied entry into Laos because of passport 6 month validity, Now overstaying and overstay fee racking up, must get flight home

Big problem.

I just went to the Nongkhai border today and my passport has 3 months validity left and i have just been off one visa exempt visa so they will not give me another after asking many times.

They will not let me into Laos because I cannot with my passport valiidty and i also cannot just cross the thai border and come back in because they will not give me a new visa either. Theyre telling to get a flight home which means ill have to pay the overstay at the airport but cheap flights are not soon.

Now my overstay fee is racking up with each day and i must get a flight home soon, however cheap flights are not available right now.

How can I stop my overstay fee and just sort all this out? Do i need to get an emergency travel document adn then leave thailand and come back in for a temporrary visa, is that even possible? what do i do?

Thankyou alot.

Thankyou so much...

Will the emergency travel document have all my passport info copied onto it including my thai visa info and so on? And how long is it valid for if you know? I mean it should have 6+ months so i can obtain visas of course right?

Thankyou, doing alot of reasearch too, I'm from the United Kingdom

Don't loose time and money by buying ticket anywhere before you check with the embassy of the country you want to fly to about the validity of your actual passport. you might be sent back. It's not sure that you can get back to Los either, as Los demand that you must have a 6 months valid passport to enter the country

2 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

It's not sure that you can get back to Los either, as Los demand that you must have a 6 months valid passport to enter the country

For those from several countries passport validity for the length of stay is required for entry to Thailand. There is no 6 month rule for all nationalities.

• Like 2

General Information

Visa Information

Tel: +46 588 04 267

Email: [email protected]

General Information

• For swedish passport holder, and wish to stay in Thailand for no more than 30 days, your passport has to be valid for at least 6 months (according to immigration law). Immigration officer can make exemption for you if your passport is only valid during your stay in Thailand. We do strongly recommend that your passport has a validity of at least 6 months. You shall also check with your airline for other requirment.

From Sweden.....

Edited by Los Luver
  • Like 1

Without knowing how many days already of overstay or past visa history, could the op not go to immigration office, pay the overstay and then apply for a 30 day extension.

if this is possible then they could apply for a new passport at trendy towers within that 30 days.

• Like 1

General Information

Visa Information

Tel: +46 588 04 267

Email: [email protected]

General Information
  • For swedish passport holder, and wish to stay in Thailand for no more than 30 days, your passport has to be valid for at least 6 months (according to immigration law). Immigration officer can make exemption for you if your passport is only valid during your stay in Thailand. We do strongly recommend that your passport has a validity of at least 6 months. You shall also check with your airline for other requirment.
From Sweden.....

Incorrect information, as is common with Thailand official websites.

sent using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, hmmyes said:

Thankyou so much...

Will the emergency travel document have all my passport info copied onto it including my thai visa info and so on? And how long is it valid for if you know? I mean it should have 6+ months so i can obtain visas of course right?

Thankyou, doing alot of reasearch too, I'm from the United Kingdom

You would show both your passport and ETD to leave Thailand, paying any overstay before boarding your flight out.  I do not know what the duration / use-conditions are for British ETDs, but in theory, you could enter the next country using your ETD.

UJ also has a good idea, if you do not already have many visa-exempt entries - out to HK and back on your existing passport , re-entering Thailand visa-exempt, then get a new passport (not ETD) here.  Unfortunately, we cannot say exactly "how many visa-exempts is too many" because there are no published rules on visa-exempt use via airports.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Last time I got a ETD from the embassy in BKK  (UK) I had to provide the proof of the journey I intended to do.

In my case I was waiting for my new passport to arrive as my old passport was full.

The ETD was issued only when I showed air tickets and hotel bookings from the company I was working for, I didn't think my new passport would arrive before the flight dates. The journey you intend to do is noted in the ETD and that is all it can be used for and then you need a full new passport.

To my knowledge they will only issue an ETD when you prove travel documents, as said above.

You can't just get an ETD and fly where you feel like, plus not all countries accept them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

UJ also has a good idea, if you do not already have many visa-exempt entries - out to HK and back on your existing passport , re-entering Thailand visa-exempt, then get a new passport (not ETD) here.  Unfortunately, we cannot say exactly "how many visa-exempts is too many" because there are no published rules on visa-exempt use via airports.

I also think this is the best option, albeit not without risk. A flight booked 3 or 4 days ahead for return the same day will cost about 8,000 baht (cheaper if booked further in advance). The chances are good you will be questioned on your return (same day visa exempt after an overstay) so be well prepared. for this

I was told when i went ther that i cannto get another visa exempty entry on this passport... Thats what i was trying to do. HOWEVER.

Can I get an ETD (Emergency Travel Document), pay my overstay fine at the border and re-enter thailand on a visa exempt after leaving the thai border at nongkhai? Would the Nonkghai people let me cross the thai border leaving thailand and just come back to the entry to thailand and get a visa exempt entry to thailand? I would still have the same passport and stuff but a new ETD. Would this work?

I cannot go into Laos on an ETD which is why im wondering if the abov eplan would work????

THANKS.

21 minutes ago, hmmyes said:

I was told when i went ther that i cannto get another visa exempty entry on this passport... Thats what i was trying to do. HOWEVER.

Can I get an ETD (Emergency Travel Document), pay my overstay fine at the border and re-enter thailand on a visa exempt after leaving the thai border at nongkhai? Would the Nonkghai people let me cross the thai border leaving thailand and just come back to the entry to thailand and get a visa exempt entry to thailand? I would still have the same passport and stuff but a new ETD. Would this work?

I cannot go into Laos on an ETD which is why im wondering if the abov eplan would work????

THANKS.

No you cannot as you will need an entry and exit stamp from Laos.
Another 24 hrs and another day of overstay. Why are you still asking the same question and haven't spoken to the Embassy regarding an ETD which I have said, I doubt they will issue as you still have a British passport with 3 months validity.
Being told 'No more visa exempts on this passport' 99.99% means 'No more visa exempts' even on a new passport. Your new passport will be linked to your old passport the first time you enter Thailand with it.
IMO, you need to leave the country ASAP to the UK or to a country that will allow you in and where you can obtain a new passport and a visa.
Being caught here on overstay is going to work out a lot more expensive in the long run than a flight to the UK.

You could get another visa exempt in your current passport if you could enter the other country unless you have done more than 2 of them this year at a land border crossing. The problem is that you cannot enter any neighboring country with only 3 months of passport validity.

As far as I know you can enter Laos with a ETD if it has at least 6 months of validity.

As I wrote before you could fly to Hong Kong and then re-enter the country using your current passport.

What did you have you tried to leave the country?. If you were on a visa exempt entry that had been extended yet you could get a 30 day extension.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could get another visa exempt in your current passport if you could enter the other country unless you have done more than 2 of them this year at a land border crossing. The problem is that you cannot enter any neighboring country with only 3 months of passport validity.

As far as I know you can enter Laos with a ETD if it has at least 6 months of validity.

As I wrote before you could fly to Hong Kong and then re-enter the country using your current passport.

Post 26. He has been told 'No more visa exempts on this passport'.

2 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Post 26. He has been told 'No more visa exempts on this passport'.

I think I replied to that comment.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

• Like 2