Raja Ferry Capsized?

worzel

I was on Raja ferry the other day and they opened the door on the car level 1/3 of the way down about 5 mins before docking, i couldn't believe it. It reminded me of the Zebrugge disaster with the Herald of Free Enterprise.

Unbelievable!!!

Nothing on the Thai online news about it, but there is a notification that all ferries between Don Sak and Samui had stopped running.

And no explanation why ? :o TIT.....

(tens of thousands of passengers are stranded on London Heathrow airport just before Christmas, but at least they know why....extremely heavy FOG !)

ps:

just found this topic; maybe it's due to the weather ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97836

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Thanks to Roo in another thread on 'Samui...':

WEATHER TOURISTS STRANDED, HOMES EVACUATED

Fierce storms wreak havoc in the South

Coastal areas declared natural disaster zones

Fishermen were told to stay ashore until Saturday as three to four-metre waves were forecast in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand.

Surat Thani governor Niwat Sawatkaew halted all passenger services to Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao resort islands, while the Chumphon provincial office ordered all boats anchored until Sunday.

In Surat Thani, about 3,000 tourists and 4,000 residents were stranded in Koh Tao because stormy weather and waves have halted ferry services since Monday.

Whole story here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/22Dec2006_news14.php

Looks pretty bad and that explains the situation with the ferry-item.

I apologize if I commented a bit 'itchy',earlier in this topic. :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Quizzed my staff, who also watched the TV news last night, she heard nothing about a ferry capsizing. Just that the ferries were not being allowed to run because they are unable to safely dock at the pier in Don Sak.

There is nothing in the English language papers, nothing in the Thai news online. I can't imagine how something could make the TV news and not the Thai newspapers.

Please note that I am altering the title of this thread to reflect the fact that is a question rather than a statement for now.

Ferries to Samui resume operation today

Ferries to Koh Samui have resumed operation. Yesterday (December, 21) the Meteorological Department had warned of high waves of 2-4 meters in the Gulf of Thailand.

Representative of the Raja Ferry Company, one of the ferry operators which resumed its service today, revealed that the company is waiting to see the situation in the afternoon before deciding whether it can continue launching the ferry in the evening.

The current wave height is 1-2 meters measured at the Gulf of Thailand between the Don Sak (ดอนสัก) and Koh Samui districts in Suratthani Province.

Meanwhile, Srisak Srisawas (ศรีศักดิ์ ศรีสวัสดิ์), the general manager of the Sea-Tran Ferry Company, affirmed that ferries are large-sized boats which are not easily affected by waves of 2-4 meters.

The company did not halt its ferry service yesterday despite the warning of the Meteorological Department.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 December 2006

So, unless there is anything further to add to this thread may I ask one thing?

For future reference for posters, instead of posting rumor as fact please ensure that it is clear you are just discussing rumors. There is no need to cause fear by posting hearsay as fact.

Meanwhile, Srisak Srisawas (ศรีศักดิ์ ศรีสวัสดิ์), the general manager of the Sea-Tran Ferry Company, affirmed that ferries are large-sized boats which are not easily affected by waves of 2-4 meters.

i would suggest that wave heights of 4 meters could be more than enough to cause water ingress (through the non-watertight front and rear loading doors of the roll on roll off ferries used by sea tran )possibly resulting in poor stability and capsizing as the heavy weight of water on the car deck floor sloshes about from port to starboard.

For future reference for posters, instead of posting rumor as fact please ensure that it is clear you are just discussing rumors. There is no need to cause fear by posting hearsay as fact.

SBK..While I certainly agree with you,God knows Samui doesn't need the negative publicity..

The Topic was Raja Ferry Capsizes ? had it been an exclamation mark I would agree with you .

In fairness to the OP he was asking a question not making a statement..

SBK..While I certainly agree with you,God knows Samui doesn't need the negative publicity..

The Topic was Raja Ferry Capsizes ? had it been an exclamation mark I would agree with you .

If you check SBK's earlier post in this thread, she edited the thread title to add the question mark... as the rumour was unfounded.

If you check SBK's earlier post in this thread, she edited the thread title to add the question mark... as the rumour was unfounded.

Thanks Jai Dee and apologies to SBK..

Whilst the safety of the ferries is certainly an issue the fact remains that there was no ferry capsizing, it was all unfounded rumor most likely based on poor understanding and/or translation by the OP's Thai staff.

***topic closed***