Chess and Backgammon in Pattaya

Anagami

I know it's low season now. I went behind Central Festival today after 3 pm to see if there were any chess games happening but no luck. (I recall there being as many as 10 at a time during the high season couple of years ago, not sure what happened.)

PM me if you are interested in chess and/or backgammon in Pattaya and we will set a time and place. Beginners welcome.

30 minutes ago, Anagami said:

I went again today after 3 pm to see if there were any chess players behind McDonalds at Central Plaza. No luck again.

Did all chess players leave Pattaya at the end of high season???

Where are you hiding guys?

Allegedly, all the players continued south to Walking Street and found a new passion. I am just joking. If I see the players, I will pass on the info.

How flexible are you as to the location of playing?

And are you Ok to play in  an open type of bar?

I'm am average player  who pretty much holds his own.   I win some and  I lose some and always realize it's just a game.   I like the game but will not take it too seriously.

I'm interested in playing but would prefer more than a PM with an agreement to meet at some location.   

I'm well aware of the "flake factor" on TVF but if you want to send me a PM  I'll reply with my number which you can you use to contact me.

Once upon a time, this was how chess was played here...

There was also a group that used to sit in Burger king at Royal Garden.

(See they where mentioned earlier sorry don't look at the first page)

They removed all seats and benches from the promenade at the last "upgrade"

On 4/16/2017 at 9:32 PM, stravers said:

I've seen chess players in the basement of Central adjacent to the Mcdonalds at the beach entrance.

Yesterday I spotted couple of guys playing around 4 o'clock. I talked to them... they said the games around 3:30 or later.... and they moved from behind McDonald's to couple of floors up (because they moved the green seats), still outside the Festival, gotta take the escalator to the higher seating area.

Thanks to everyone who contributed here.... I will be going always every day... see you at the 'tables'.

16 hours ago, watcharacters said:

How flexible are you as to the location of playing?

And are you Ok to play in  an open type of bar?

I'm am average player  who pretty much holds his own.   I win some and  I lose some and always realize it's just a game.   I like the game but will not take it too seriously.

I'm interested in playing but would prefer more than a PM with an agreement to meet at some location.   

I'm well aware of the "flake factor" on TVF but if you want to send me a PM  I'll reply with my number which you can you use to contact me.

Thanks, I'm pretty much an average club player, not super strong or anything.

Something tells me you would like backgammon more... wouldn't mind teaching you, it's more fun in lot of ways.

Just show around 4 pm behind Festival any day. Go up two floors from McDonalds and look for green seating outside the Festival.

On 4/21/2017 at 6:03 AM, Anagami said:

Thanks, I'm pretty much an average club player, not super strong or anything.

Something tells me you would like backgammon more... wouldn't mind teaching you, it's more fun in lot of ways.

Just show around 4 pm behind Festival any day. Go up two floors from McDonalds and look for green seating outside the Festival.

Thanks  Anagami,

You quoted my post but somehow I don't think you were  replying to it.

I'm at a loss to guess how you figured i'd like backgammon better than chess.     I specifically posted about playing chess and asked if you were flexible about  playing locations,    (apparently not!)  I'm  guessing you  prefer to play in those locations you  know in the past that may have had players available.    That's cool.   

I don't know  much about  club players and  I've never bothered to learn about chess notation.     I'll just say that's never been a detriment for me as far as I know  for winning a game against someone who does know  and use it.   As I said I can hold my own..   

When I play the game I like to sit in an environment I enjoy and that means comfortable seating and a place where I can order a beer or cocktail.  I certainly would not enjoy a sterile place.

If you're adverse to an  environment with alcohol available I understand  and appreciate that.  Possibly that's an issue for you.    And while I respect that,  a  PM explanation would have been courteous but I realize a lot of chess players  literally define the word "odd".   I'm not  saying that applies here  but "just saying".

Good luck to you in your chess partner hunting.       Luck  does not apply to chess but does apply to backgammon until an advanced skill level is achieved.

Edited by watcharacters

On 4/22/2017 at 3:09 PM, watcharacters said:

Thanks  Anagami,

You quoted my post but somehow I don't think you were  replying to it.

I'm at a loss to guess how you figured i'd like backgammon better than chess.     I specifically posted about playing chess and asked if you were flexible about  playing locations,    (apparently not!)  I'm  guessing you  prefer to play in those locations you  know in the past that may have had players available.    That's cool.   

I don't know  much about  club players and  I've never bothered to learn about chess notation.     I'll just say that's never been a detriment for me as far as I know  for winning a game against someone who does know  and use it.   As I said I can hold my own..   

When I play the game I like to sit in an environment I enjoy and that means comfortable seating and a place where I can order a beer or cocktail.  I certainly would not enjoy a sterile place.

If you're adverse to an  environment with alcohol available I understand  and appreciate that.  Possibly that's an issue for you.    And while I respect that,  a  PM explanation would have been courteous but I realize a lot of chess players  literally define the word "odd".   I'm not  saying that applies here  but "just saying".

Good luck to you in your chess partner hunting.       Luck  does not apply to chess but does apply to backgammon until an advanced skill level is achieved.

Sorry brother, not my best reply to you.

I am busy with many other things at the moment (I am not a retiree looking for ways just to spend his time, not saying you are), and will PM you in the future. Not averse to playing in a bar.

Bill Robertie has an interesting discussion about how luck applies in chess too (otherwise higher rated player would ALWAYS win, which is hardly the case).

1 hour ago, Anagami said:

Sorry brother, not my best reply to you.

I am busy with many other things at the moment (I am not a retiree looking for ways just to spend his time, not saying you are), and will PM you in the future. Not averse to playing in a bar.

Bill Robertie has an interesting discussion about how luck applies in chess too (otherwise higher rated player would ALWAYS win, which is hardly the case).

I did not deserve your best reply?

Joking without the LOL

If you  decide to send a PM in the future that  will be OK.

I won't hold my breath..

Yes I  had the impression you did not have a job to which you had to go.     i guess I was wrong with that assumption.

No matter what I am available  for chess   and can do OK.

I like the Soi 7 reply..

• 3 months later...
On 4/22/2017 at 10:27 PM, Basil B said:

Not true but if you have more than 30 pieces you can be arrested for gambling... :cheesy:

That's  a great reply and the truth is I am not opposed to placing a small non harmful wager or a game or two.

I'll be headed to Soi 7 to meet up with the club.

• 8 months later...
On 4/21/2017 at 6:00 AM, Anagami said:

Yesterday I spotted couple of guys playing around 4 o'clock. I talked to them... they said the games around 3:30 or later.... and they moved from behind McDonald's to couple of floors up (because they moved the green seats), still outside the Festival, gotta take the escalator to the higher seating area.

Thanks to everyone who contributed here.... I will be going always every day... see you at the 'tables'.

It was great to see you at the resto on the Tuesday when you guys meet up.   I enjoyed that so much.   

Thank you.

How are the concrete seats without  a  back where you now meet?  

I hope to meet up with some players who do not feel the requirement to watch every  single  baht so closely.

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since there was any post on this, but does anyone have an update on the chess situation in Pattaya? I will be back again in mid-July for a month and would be cool to play a few blitz games.

I popped into the Brauhaus last time but I didn't bother staying as it was all rather depressing and something in a more social environment would be good...

Edited by Tobyspaw
corrected a typo

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am very interested to play both chess and backgammon I am here until 27.3.2019. I am staying on Jomtiem Beach but happy to play In Pattaya. I am not interested in gambling, I play for the fun of it. 

Line ID clasship

Tim