Parties face six steps to comply for new poll

webfact

Parties face six steps to comply for new poll
By THE NATION

575cd405c2be17f8cb8a20bdedc4b443.jpeg

Meechai

CDC spells out requirements for existing entities under new political party law

BANGKOK: -- THE Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) has proposed a six-step legislative process that political parties have to complete within six months in preparation for the next general election, which is expected to be held late next year.

Meanwhile, the latest Suan Dusit poll, conducted from last Monday to Saturday, concluded that the Prayut government had excessively restricted people’s rights and freedoms, resulting in less public support. 

A majority of nearly 62 per cent of respondents agreed that their rights and freedoms had been curbed by the government, while 70 per cent suggested that the government should listen to people’s opinions and explain its rationale in a more transparent manner.

In regard to the proposed political party legislation, Meechai Ruchupan, chairman of the CDC, said the new organic law should create equality for new and pre-existing political parties during an interim period when parties that existed before the proposed legislation will have to meet six preconditions to qualify to field candidates in the next election.

The new political party bill will be submitted to the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) tomorrow, Meechai said, adding that parties that fail to meet the preconditions would be barred from fielding candidates, while newly-established parties would not be subject to the preconditions.

To qualify to field candidates, executive members and other members of existing political parties have to report to the Election Commission (EC).

Second, political parties have to update the number of their members within 90 days after the new law goes into effect.

Third, political parties that do not have a minimum membership of 500 people have to meet the requirements within 180 days.

Fourth, political parties will have to submit financial reports to the EC and/or solicit minimum funding of Bt1 million within 180 days.

Fifth, a minimum of 500 members must pay the party’s annual fee of at least Bt50 per person within 180 days and receipts must be shown to the EC within the next 15 days. Within the next year, each party has to collect annual membership fees from a minimum of 5,000 members.

Sixth, political parties must hold a general assembly to amend their charters and regulations in compliance with the political party law, covering political objectives and the process to elect party leaders and executive committees as well as the heads of party branches.

Parties must have a minimum of four branches whose heads must be elected by provincial representatives. At least three provincial branch representatives must vote to elect the party’s leaders and executive members.

New political parties must open at least one branch in each of the country’s regions and elect provincial branch representatives within 180 days. Parties may apply for an extension of the deadline but preconditions must be all met within three years.

If the EC does not extend the deadline, parties may petition the Constitution Court. However, parties will be disbanded if they cannot comply with the new law.

And parties that have not fully complied with the new law will not get financial assistance from a public fund for political development. 

The proposed law requires new parties to set up a candidate selection committee consisting of four party executives and seven provincial branch representatives.

However, former politicians penalised under the previous BE 2550 political party law will still face penalties, including those already disqualified from contesting general elections or holding public office.

Meanwhile, Somchai Srisuthiyakorn, an EC member, said the agency would not make further efforts to lobby for the role of provincial EC officials, as the NLA would have to evaluate the pros and cons of the EC proposal.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30312426

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-17

If the parties had an iota of integrity they would refuse to go along with any of this and boycott any 'election', but of course they won't. In their own way they are nearly as bad as the coupmiesters. 

A plague on all their houses.

22 minutes ago, baboon said:

If the parties had an iota of integrity they would refuse to go along with any of this and boycott any 'election', but of course they won't. In their own way they are nearly as bad as the coupmiesters. 

A plague on all their houses.

Just curious what laws do you think are so bad that they have to comply with. I have read them and they seem not that impossible or bad at all. I don't know what the previous laws were but this does not seem real bad. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Just curious what laws do you think are so bad that they have to comply with. I have read them and they seem not that impossible or bad at all. I don't know what the previous laws were but this does not seem real bad. 

Sorry, Rob. My post was very poorly worded. I meant that the parties should not go along with any elections under the conditions that are being set up in general under what I regard as a sham constitution. I wasn't referring specifically to the OP.

1 minute ago, baboon said:

Sorry, Rob. My post was very poorly worded. I meant that the parties should not go along with any elections under the conditions that are being set up in general under what I regard as a sham constitution. I wasn't referring specifically to the OP.

Ok, was just trying to figure out what rules were so bad or limiting (the ones the parties had to go through). I read them and did not find them real bad or limiting. But on the other hand I have no idea what the rules are now.

I really hope that the parties don't boycot the election i want to see a normal government in power. Junta has been here long enough. Yes I know they retain power.. but its still better then having them still in power.. by boycotting I think they would only play in their hands.

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

The only trouble they have been introduced with no consultation and no input from other area's, only one area Junta, to safe guard their own interest and position,  just what they are trying to prevent, they speak with fork tongue. 

12 minutes ago, chainarong said:

The only trouble they have been introduced with no consultation and no input from other area's, only one area Junta, to safe guard their own interest and position,  just what they are trying to prevent, they speak with fork tongue. 

Sure.. the junta is protecting their own interests.. not going to contradict that.. I agree.

But based on what I read here I really don't see any strange things here. Now if you could point something out we could discuss it.. 

But maybe your right there is something hidden I just don't see it.

26 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ok, was just trying to figure out what rules were so bad or limiting (the ones the parties had to go through). I read them and did not find them real bad or limiting. But on the other hand I have no idea what the rules are now.

I really hope that the parties don't boycot the election i want to see a normal government in power. Junta has been here long enough. Yes I know they retain power.. but its still better then having them still in power.. by boycotting I think they would only play in their hands.

Now I know this will come as a real shock (:tongue:), but I disagree. There cannot be anything like a normal government if they are overseen by a super - committee who can scrap any policy not to their liking. 

You will get your wish about parties not boycotting the elections as they are too venal to make any kind of principled stand.

As for it playing into the junta's hands, 'so what', is my question. They broke it, they own it. Let them carry the can for their policies and not use politicians to blame for any failures. Calling themselves a different name and operating in the shadows changes nothing...

wondering how the ptp will be able to be listed as a party due to the first rule "

To qualify to field candidates, executive members and other members of existing political parties have to report to the Election Commission (EC)." Doubt thaksin will show his face for this.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

while 70 per cent suggested that the government should listen to people’s opinions and explain its rationale in a more transparent manner.

The government has expressed the fact that they will "listen" to your opinions but that they will matter little as the cake is baked and ready to serve and cannot be altered. 

2 hours ago, seajae said:

wondering how the ptp will be able to be listed as a party due to the first rule "

To qualify to field candidates, executive members and other members of existing political parties have to report to the Election Commission (EC)." Doubt thaksin will show his face for this.

How old is his son now. Could be like a movie "The Son Of Thaksin Returns"

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Maybe it lost something in the translation??

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

Rules and regulations are always good for a working society, and always welcome.

The question though, is if anyone´s going to follow them this time. We all know how hard that can be, and has always been here.

Especially the rules and regulations regarding military takeovers. In a democracy, it puts any other rule flouting in the shade really.

18 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Especially the rules and regulations regarding military takeovers. In a democracy, it puts any other rule flouting in the shade really.

emocracy is always good for people that can handle the freedom. Here and in many other places that is a to big burden for people, and they think it´s okey to:

• Burn the city
  • Shoot people
  • Throw bombs
  • Take over airports
  • Block the streets

And so on in all eternity. That´s when it´s good to have the military for a while, that just makes people realize that they can´t do what they want.
This time that has been extremely good. That´s the time when you just have to put the rules of democracy in the shade, just because nobody knows hoe important it is to live up to them.