RC to raise electricity cost

webfact

1 hour ago, janhkt said:

Right, so it's per bill, and not per unit as stated? Unless they understand the word "unit" differently than me, of course. 

The fuel surcharge is applied per unit (which is a kilowatt).

Let's say (ignoring tax for the moment) that for my usage level the unit rate is 4.48 baht. If you "add" the fuel surcharge of -.3729 baht per unit, the net rate becomes 4.11 baht.

16 hours ago, janhkt said:

Right, so it's per bill, and not per unit as stated? Unless they understand the word "unit" differently than me, of course. 

... another example from a live bill:

used units (kWh) = 347

deducted  amount on the bill = -129.40 (as the Ft is currently negative, -0.3729 THB per unit  so 347 x -0.3729)

costs per unit/kWh brutto (plus fee & tax and minus Ft) on this particular bill = THB 3.79

=> costs per unit differ according to total amount, it's less per unit on lower bills and more on higher bills - that way users should be encouraged to use less energy over all ... 

7 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

... another example from a live bill:

used units (kWh) = 347

deducted  amount on the bill = -129.40 (as the Ft is currently negative, -0.3729 THB per unit  so 347 x -0.3729)

costs per unit/kWh brutto (plus fee & tax and minus Ft) on this particular bill = THB 3.79

=> costs per unit differ according to total amount, it's less per unit on lower bills and more on higher bills - that way users should be encouraged to use less energy over all ... 

347kWh for a month is about 500W continuous

remarkably frugal!

Thai mother-in-law uses more than that!

Thai government heavily subsidised very low users. Which is good!

(Your calculation is incorrect. Ft is applied to the Cost per Unit, not the number of units consumed)

Edited by Grouse

On 4/17/2017 at 2:54 PM, colinneil said:
On 4/17/2017 at 2:52 PM, AGareth2 said:

If that is your monthly electric bill, hells bells.

That is heart attack sized bill.

13,918.- mar15-apr15 (down from last year's 18,776.-)  :ermm:

On 4/17/2017 at 7:44 PM, Jonmarleesco said:

Just how much natural gas do they use in the production of electricity? And what happens when it's on a downward trend?

it was on a downward trend that's why the FT charge is since november 2015 negative dropping from a high of plus 2,920 (in 2013) to minus.

On 4/17/2017 at 3:13 PM, Prbkk said:

Where are they buying the natural gas from? If it's Australia, then all the energy suppliers there are in a funk about the extremely low prices. Can't be exchange rate as the Baht is doing well against the AUD and even if the contracts are in USD, its holding its own there as well.

gas import from Myanmar.

On 4/17/2017 at 3:18 PM, Prbkk said:
On 4/17/2017 at 3:00 PM, colinneil said:

We have 1 aircon (not used a lot)

Cctv, fridge , freezer, kettle, microwave, electric gate, 1 light on all night, incubator, 3 computers, my electric bed, charging my mobility scooter and 4 fans.

Electric most months around 500/550 baht.

I never get that low even when away for the whole month, just leaving the fridge on. Can't ever get it under about 700. 

except for one billing perod last year (april/may) our electricity consumption is always below 700 Baht... per day :sad:

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

347kWh for a month is about 500W continuous

remarkably frugal!

Thai mother-in-law uses more than that!

Thai government heavily subsidised very low users. Which is good!

(Your calculation is incorrect. Ft is applied to the Cost per Unit, not the number of units consumed)

Well, then the whole bill would be 'incorrect'.

Of course -0.3729 is per unit, multiplied by used units (347) ergo minus 129.4 - just as read from this current bill.

This is a comparatively high bill already, no AC (2 units, most power intake obviously) needed at all up here for 5 to 6 months a year. Will/Might be higher April-May & June maybe, then go down again when hot time comes to an end.

Other than that lights, waterpump, clothes washer, 2 fridges, some stereo, 2 computers - and most importantly none of that dumb telly at all, literally zero running time there ... 

You would have thought they would have worked out what the increase was before announcing this world shattering news but then history recently also tells us of the new alcohol tax, still to be declared and the pick-up caper. Soon to be announced all car drivers must wear crash helmets but not sure when it will be starting, bt like the next election.

10 hours ago, Naam said:

gas import from Myanmar.

Some gas is imported from Myanmar, helps support the military, but we don't like to talk about that!

Thailand still produces a lot of gas for its own consumption from the GOT, production is going down yearly so imports going up. Thailand was self sufficient at one time.

I wouldn't vouch for the accuracy of this, but gives you an idea. http://www.eppo.go.th/info/cd-2015/pdf/info3.pdf

On 4/17/2017 at 3:56 PM, janhkt said:

Not understanding that number in context. "Per unit" is kWh, yes? Currently seems like the highest tariff is 3.9361/KWh (for 400+ kWh/month). Source: http://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=utility_costs

Hardly makes sense that "The current FT charge, which has been in force since January, is set at -37.29 satang per unit" - that's almost a 1000% increase. Can anybody explain so even I can understand please?

Don't confuse a basic tariff rate (there are various basic tariffs based on type of service,  time of day/night, how much is used, etc) and the "add-on" FT tariff which can either be negative (i.e., reduce your bill) or positive (increase your bill) depending on the cost of fuel.

Right now the tariff is a negative 37.29 "stang" (or a negative 0.3729 baht) per KWH.    Basically, the tariff mentioned in your post (remember there are various basic tariffs) of 3.9361/KWH is reduced by 0.3729 to 3.56323 which is approx a 9% reduction from several years ago when the basic rates were reset and the FT was reset to zero.

A person can used the below Metropolitan Electricity Agency (MEA) website to calculate their electric bill assuming the electric account is "in your name/you get bill directly" versus getting billed by a landlord who sets their own rates/generates a bill for you.   A typical residential service will be basic tariff 1.1 or 1.2 (which are very, very similar).  Like for me here in my standalone 2 story house it's 1.2 and the tariff you are on will be reflected on your electric bill if you are bill directly by the electric company versus you landlord.   MEA and PEA use the same rate structure as far as I know.     From below webpage you can also read about the various basic rates, the FT, etc.

MEA Electric Bill Calculator....accurate to the stang....or at least is matches my monthly electric bill to the stang.  And, you folks with  electric bills below Bt5,000/month....mine is normally in the 7,000 to 10000 baht per month depending on the time of year because I make use of several larger A/Cs running 24/7, have plenty of electronics/electrics/lights/etc.

http://www.mea.or.th/en/aboutelectric/116/280/form/11