Report a moto on sidewalk and get paid half the fine

webfact

Works in Taiwan.  They have anonymous lines for AC water-dropping onto sidewalks, parking, motorcycles spewing loads of exhaust and many others.  You call and report, get a computer code and call back with the code and are asked where to send your percentage of the fine $$ to....It's not 50% of the fine but think it's close to it.  And it has worked!!!!!  

Edited by mushroomdave

How stupid.

What are the chances of the driver being the actual owner of the motorcycle?

So you send the "5000 thb Fine" to who?

The person with the registered number of the motorcycle?

And if the person wasn't riding the motorcycle, then what?

Good luck sorting it out, you're going to need more than just "Half of the never paid 5000 thb fine for riding a footpath" to cover your costs in retrieving it.

Stupid laws come from not so bright people.... This law is so detached from reality, there are so many holes and grey zones and question marks it's just retarded.

Most of the time, if a motorcycle needs to ride on the footpath, it means that the roads are too crowded, the drivers are taking too much space that even a motorcycle can't get passed the cars.

If the city was the heart, the roads the veins and arteries, then Motorcycles and cars are like the blood of Bangkok city. If the roads are so congested that the motorcycles need to ride on the footpath or kinda do like a bypass, then it's Bangkok's problem. Clear the roads, make less traffic jams and no motorcycle would ride the footpath. Everyone's happy.

To explain the condition of the person who came-up with this brilliant law ;

"The lights are On, but Nobody's home"

19 minutes ago, yosuik said:

How stupid.

What are the chances of the driver being the actual owner of the motorcycle?

So you send the "5000 thb Fine" to who?

The person with the registered number of the motorcycle?

And if the person wasn't riding the motorcycle, then what?

Good luck sorting it out, you're going to need more than just "Half of the never paid 5000 thb fine for riding a footpath" to cover your costs in retrieving it.

Stupid laws come from not so bright people.... This law is so detached from reality, there are so many holes and grey zones and question marks it's just retarded.

Most of the time, if a motorcycle needs to ride on the footpath, it means that the roads are too crowded, the drivers are taking too much space that even a motorcycle can't get passed the cars.

If the city was the heart, the roads the veins and arteries, then Motorcycles and cars are like the blood of Bangkok city. If the roads are so congested that the motorcycles need to ride on the footpath or kinda do like a bypass, then it's Bangkok's problem. Clear the roads, make less traffic jams and no motorcycle would ride the footpath. Everyone's happy.

To explain the condition of the person who came-up with this brilliant law ;

"The lights are On, but Nobody's home"

Well like I mentioned (post 33), it works fine in Taiwan.  Like they say, you are responsible for your bike and it's the same as the speed cameras there, you may not be driving your car or bike but you, the owner gets the fine and should be careful who you lend your vehicle to.  If it's done correctly (not sure if Thai people can lol) it does work.  It's sure nice walking around Taipei not having water dripping on your head and getting exhaust fumes spewed in your face which used to be the daily norm.......not any more!!.......Taiwanese care about only "1" thing....$$$$.......so soon as they implemented their tattle lines, it all stopped.....and the speeding!!

Edited by mushroomdave

19 hours ago, ikke said:

Dangerous ! Sounds like communism.... 

Surely you mean capitalism. Set up your own camera in front of your shop. Print out

pictures showing the rider and scooter licence, send it to the BIB. Presto another

revenue stream while making the sidewalks safer. :thumbsup: 

16 hours ago, balo said:

Wow I can actually get rich here?  I guess foreigners also will get paid ?

So if I report 10 bikes daily that could give me a healthy income of 5 to 10000 baht daily . 

This is creating a lot of job opportunities! 

Job...... Will you need a work permit to di this? :P

17 hours ago, balo said:

Wow I can actually get rich here?  I guess foreigners also will get paid ?

So if I report 10 bikes daily that could give me a healthy income of 5 to 10000 baht daily . 

This is creating a lot of job opportunities! 

Why limit yourself to 10 bikes per day? I know places where you can get easily find 10 bikes driving on a sidewalk in 15 minutes. One can indeed get rich fast. On the other hand, you can also end up in the hospital if some of these guys get angry...

21 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Actually that should be the job of the RTP. Easy to spot these wrong-parkers.

But for my self, I stay out of that business. No thanks. Better the RTP does the job and donor half of the fines to a charitable contribution. There are plenty of them.

It is already a charitable contribution silly. I have seen the BIB almost stumble over motorbikes parked on the sidewalk but then this is Chiang Mai and not Bangkok. Seems like some guy was turned down by his wife and stayed up the rest of the night in frustration and then thought up this brilliant idea. Shelf life about 24 hours. 

45 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Last week I read 89% of the traffic fines are 

never paid.   I'm sure you want to pi** off lots

of people by reporting them....Probably have

your name and address posted someday! 

All they have to do is give you 30 or so days to pay and after that you just make them pay it when renewing their licenses....... + interest that is......like MANY countries do now......it's not rocket science......but for Thais, maybe too hard to understand

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 4:54 PM, dcnx said:

Nailing smokers at 2000b a pop would be easy too, especially with the Chinese smoking everywhere.

Nailing drunk at 2000b is even better,but in pataya.especially with the farang drinking everywhere.

On 4/17/2017 at 2:17 PM, webfact said:

Those who report motorbikes parking or riding on the sidewalk will get half of the fine if it is paid

And therein lies the crux of the issue - IF it is paid.

Perhaps it's time the law enforcement department were given an ultimatum by the junta-appointed governor: enforce the law or resign.

Who am I kidding?

13 hours ago, lor said:

City hall may want this to happen but how are they going to get the police to take action, even when the pictures are given them?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's not specifically the job of the RTP, surprisingly. The BMA has a law enforcement department of its own; it's that department's name and contact details that are actually listed on the (ignored) warning posters.

On 4/17/2017 at 4:25 PM, hanuman2543 said:

Is Thailand reintroducing the Third Reich concept of "Blockwart". When will they pressure all non Thais to wear visible stars attached to their cloth?

Great. One poster calls this communist and you call it Third Reich. Hyperbolic to the extreme. Do you feel the same about reporting a robbery to the police?

25 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

Great. One poster calls this communist and you call it Third Reich. Hyperbolic to the extreme. Do you feel the same about reporting a robbery to the police?

A robbery is a serious crime, riding on the sidewalk is an annoying, dangerous traffic violation and really not comparable. 

Edited by hanuman2543

On 4/17/2017 at 4:25 PM, hanuman2543 said:

Is Thailand reintroducing the Third Reich concept of "Blockwart". When will they pressure all non Thais to wear visible stars attached to their cloth?

No need.  You ARE a walking "star".  You don't think a local can spot a farang two blocks away?  And to some extent at least, I think that's true of asian foreigners as well.  And with that registered simcard in your phone, the potential exists to track you as well in ways the gestapo never dreamed of.

Edited by hawker9000