British PM May calls for early election on June 8

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, citybiker said:

If the EU plays hard ball then why shouldn't corporation tax be more competitive?*

Reduced services will continue until improved efficiency, and less monies going to EU coffees for one, other factors shouldn't be eliminated either.

I understand there's an element of hard line Cons but doubt TM will allow them to flex their agenda, sterling will re-adjust just like it did shortly after the result.

*the corporate tax attraction shouldn't be seen as a negative issue & seen more as wealth creators, thus filtering down.

FTSE 100 or 250? As 250 is more UK internally focused & gives more tangible evidence than the other which I'm sure you knew that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought "trickle down economics" was a busted flush? Also, the capital /labour balance is already way out of kilter (executive salaries v mean employee salaries). This is already set for further imbalance due to automation and robotics. Having a race to the bottom with corporation tax is a bad move for civilised society.

The Economist may be correct in saying that a much increased Con majority would assist TM in standing up to the slavering right wing nut cases!

The problem is the trickle down effect does not seem to be working and one of the major contributors to public sentiment in the UK at present seems to be being driven by that increase in inequality. The key beneficiaries of this would be corporations and their shareholders rather than 'the man in the street'.

If the UK can attract substantially more business to the UK using low corporation tax rates despite our dislocation and difficulties of trading with the EU, more so by their restrictions placed on us by being a low cost tax haven next door, then all well and good but the odds are very much against it and it is more likely that it would be a ploy to try and retain business we already have.

If that were a case then the cut in corp tax would come be paid for straight out of govt revenue - tax currently generates about 45 billion a year or 8 % of govt revenue - so the cut has the potential to cost us more than twice our EU nett contribution and wouldn't look very good on the side of a bus.

The UK since the Brexit result has already attracted major investment, along with increased investment by companies already settled for a while, these businesses don't significantly invest without feasible studies carried out otherwise shareholders wouldn't approve it in the first place.

The trickle down affect doesn't happen overnight, I'm no capitalist however I'm a staunch realist in what the 'man in the street' expects and is prepared to accept. Inequality will remain until more responsibility is taken instead of many expecting something for nothing.

As the UK debt is still scarily far too high and I strongly suspect the Government will focus on reducing this, thus revise carefully how the revenues are better controlled, I suspect until that £1.7tn has been reduced significantly then the lower tax 'may' (if implemented) only be filtered in at a staggered pace, I'm no bean counter however Government borrowing governance (austerity) must stay on course.

Personally, as the debt is so high it's a plausible proposal that shouldn't be ignored when we're close to surplus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

I did; it's worth the effort! ?

I did too but it wasn't worth zip:sad:. Blair doesn't care about the Labour Party, he just wants to try to add yet another roadblock out of the EU. A UK exit out of the EU would further add to his political embarrassment.

I did too but it wasn't worth zip:sad:. Blair doesn't care about the Labour Party, he just wants to try to add yet another roadblock out of the EU. A UK exit out of the EU would further add to his political embarrassment.

Any effort that sends Blair back to the hole he belong's to is a positive for the UK.
Blair is past political vermin & a national embarrassment.

22 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Any effort that sends Blair back to the hole he belong's to is a positive for the UK.
Blair is past political vermin & a national embarrassment.

Oh, I say! That's a bit strong! You mean like Thatcher ?

Seriously, with Corbyn still in place, we desperately need strong leadership from somewhere. Do you rate Vince Cable?

The UK since the Brexit result has already attracted major investment, along with increased investment by companies already settled for a while, these businesses don't significantly invest without feasible studies carried out otherwise shareholders wouldn't approve it in the first place.

The trickle down affect doesn't happen overnight, I'm no capitalist however I'm a staunch realist in what the 'man in the street' expects and is prepared to accept. Inequality will remain until more responsibility is taken instead of many expecting something for nothing.

As the UK debt is still scarily far too high and I strongly suspect the Government will focus on reducing this, thus revise carefully how the revenues are better controlled, I suspect until that £1.7tn has been reduced significantly then the lower tax 'may' (if implemented) only be filtered in at a staggered pace, I'm no bean counter however Government borrowing governance (austerity) must stay on course.

Personally, as the debt is so high it's a plausible proposal that shouldn't be ignored when we're close to surplus.

All sounds a bit chicken and egg to me. I don't think many would have a problem with lowering taxes at the point where the economy is functioning well and has been returned to surplus or near enough, the issue is how we get there in the first place.

True. I don't think he ever cared much about the Labour party. Somehow roadblocking Brexit, were he to be successful, would be a far greater achievement than anything he did for Labour. There is still a chance for the UK electorate to show sense before 8 June.

Oh, I say! That's a bit strong! You mean like Thatcher [emoji846]

Seriously, with Corbyn still in place, we desperately need strong leadership from somewhere. Do you rate Vince Cable?

I like Vince Cable, but in fairness the LD's could do worse than the London MP Mr Hughes as leader, who I believe is trying to win his seat back. At the moment the LD's are seen as madder than the loony Party under Farron.

A bit strong is wishing Blair dead" (sorry MoDs).

1 hour ago, citybiker said:

I like Vince Cable, but in fairness the LD's could do worse than the London MP Mr Hughes as leader, who I believe is trying to win his seat back. At the moment the LD's are seen as madder than the loony Party under Farron.

A bit strong is wishing Blair dead" (sorry MoDs).

:laugh:

Separated at birth:

Tim2.jpeg

key_Tim_Farron.jpeg

As a ballroom dancer I have heard he is a force to be reckoned with.

As a one time minister with an economics portfolio, I have heard that he correctly predicted all five recessions whilst he was in government...

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

The problem with an ageing society is that the cost of pensions becomes less affordable so commitments to such policies as the triple lock cannot be open-ended, particularly during a long period of low inflation.

14 hours ago, Grouse said:

Vince Cable had a role to play in the coalition government between the Tories and the Lib Dems, but this election will result in a straight Conservative majority. Cable is also in his 70s so staying in the House of Lords is about where he should be.

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The problem with an ageing society is that the cost of pensions becomes less affordable so commitments to such policies as the triple lock cannot be open-ended, particularly during a long period of low inflation.

Particularly when cutting corporation tax

At last commonsense would appear to be returning to the British electorate.   I poll conducted on 25/26 April 2017 by YouGov and published in the Times 45% said they thought that the decision to leave the EU was wrong and 43% thought it was the correct decision.

We Remainers have everything to play for and in 6 weeks time can deliver a knockout blow to Mrs Mayhem and elect Jeremy Corbyn as the leader of the country with the support of the Lib Dems, Greens and SNP.

10 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I agree.

If only companies hadn't been allowed to drop out/reduce their company pension schemes.....

Instead its turned into a race to the bottom - with everyone in  the minimal company schemes now available to them,  blaming public sector employees - edit, for retaining a decent pension :sad:.  Dependent on the type of employee and salary obviously....

And before you come up with the argument that I'm a public sector retiree, arguing for their pensions - I'd like to point out that my best pension comes from a private company.  I'm not yet entitled to the public sector employee pension, and even when its payable - will be far less than that from a 'private sector' company.

Edited by dick dasterdly

24 minutes ago, JackScarlett said:

At last commonsense would appear to be returning to the British electorate.   I poll conducted on 25/26 April 2017 by YouGov and published in the Times 45% said they thought that the decision to leave the EU was wrong and 43% thought it was the correct decision.

We Remainers have everything to play for and in 6 weeks time can deliver a knockout blow to Mrs Mayhem and elect Jeremy Corbyn as the leader of the country with the support of the Lib Dems, Greens and SNP.

Looks more like a trolling contribution rather than anything else.

Edited by SheungWan

8 hours ago, Grouse said:

Particularly when cutting corporation tax

Conflating or treating an entitlements policy on the same level as one supposedly there to promote growth is one of the key weaknesses of the Corbyn agenda. No doubt that those anti-business will view corporation tax reduction as a 'giveaway'.

Edited by SheungWan

10 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Looks more like a trolling contribution rather than anything else.

I would suggest you keep up to date with the changing face of this election.   The figures were announced by Gina Miller at a meeting in London to promote those MPs who are prepared to carry on the fight to stop Brexit.

13 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Conflating or treating an entitlements policy on the same level as one supposedly there to promote growth is one of the key weaknesses of the Corbyn agenda. No doubt that those anti-business will view corporation tax reduction as a 'giveaway'.

I just believe in a fair balance between capital and labour. Right now it's way out of kilter. We appear to be in a race to the bottom with corporation tax. This will benefit no one except shareholders and probably executive directors

47 minutes ago, JackScarlett said:

I would suggest you keep up to date with the changing face of this election.   The figures were announced by Gina Miller at a meeting in London to promote those MPs who are prepared to carry on the fight to stop Brexit.

Ah, Gina Miller. Ok.

After her initial outbursts on Brexit, Miller claimed to have accepted the result of the Referendum, and was fighting her court case purely to clarify parliamentary sovereignty, not to stop brexit. In view of the fact that she is again campaigning to stop brexit, it would be interesting to see if she perjured herself in court. She's certainly told a few porkies outside of it.

The problem with a progressive alliance which you describe - and for which I have some sympathy - lies with the nature of current Labour Party leadership under Corbin.This is dominated by the far Left and though prepared to use other parties for tactical reasons will never deviate from its extremist objectives and Stalinist methods.

There is no tolerance in the current Labour Party set up for divergent views and dissenters are labelled "Red Tories".Moderates and even left of Centre types are not welcome.Look at the treatment of J,K Rowling a long term donor and supporter who dared to criticise Corbyn.

These people are more interested in ideological purity than wining elections.They scream at those who don't share their views to be loyal, ignoring Corbyn's disloyalty to the leadership over 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The problem with a progressive alliance which you describe - and for which I have some sympathy - lies with the nature of current Labour Party leadership under Corbin.This is dominated by the far Left and though prepared to use other parties for tactical reasons will never deviate from its extremist objectives and Stalinist methods.

There is no tolerance in the current Labour Party set up for divergent views and dissenters are labelled "Red Tories".Moderates and even left of Centre types are not welcome.Look at the treatment of J,K Rowling a long term donor and supporter who dared to criticise Corbyn.

These people are more interested in ideological purity than wining elections.They scream at those who don't share their views to be loyal, ignoring Corbyn's disloyalty to the leadership over 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Despite voting Labour all my life, I do question whether JC should be PM. My hopes lie with a Remain coalition, although it is difficult to see how this could happen. More likely is a narrow Tory victory, with a reduced majority and a huge Remain contingent of MPs, so that a chastened TM can negotiate a very soft Brexit, and put the outcome of the negotiations to the British people in a referendum in 2019.

5 hours ago, JackScarlett said:

Would this be the same Gina Miller the investment Banker,whome I'm sure would get on great with Jeremy Corbin,as this is what you suggested earlier.

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

Would this be the same Gina Miller the investment Banker,whome I'm sure would get on great with Jeremy Corbin,as this is what you suggested earlier.

"Gina Miller the investment banker"

Except that she isn't one (another Walter Mitty-ism by her). Hubby Alan is the investment expert. Gina runs the A & R side of the business.