First pair of glasses. Procedure/Tips/Tricks.

Happy Grumpy

Could do with a proper pair of glasses for using the computer etc.

Tried those cheap plastic ones at set focals and they definitely improve the experience.

So....

What's a good optician's chain?

I presume it's a free test, then you pay for the lens to be made and choose your frames?

Any recommendations? Promos? Scams ? to watch for?

Less than 5k baht would be good.

Cheers.  

Best to go to a hospital to get your eyes tested. Make a copy of the prescription. Then after taking the prescription to be filled and getting your new lenses, have them tested for tolerance at another shop. Many shops do not make the lenses to spec.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

There have been many threads on this, please do a search of the site.

Custom made glasses are not inexpensive here (in fact, overpriced) and many people find it better to order online.

For a good eye exam and reliable prescription, suggest Rutnin eye Hospital

For online ordering, people have recommended Zenni

http://www.zennioptical.com/

make an appointment at Rutnin eye Hospital ,  I had to wait less than 5 minutes from my appointment time ,

also measure the distance  from where you sit to the computer screen ,  Rutnin can then check your eyesite at that distance , 

if you use a desktop and a laptop the distance will not be the same , so have both distances checked....

maybe even your smart phone distance too :)

for me my reading eye sight was "fuzzy" from  8 inches to about 20 inches and really needed 2 strenghts of reading glasses

I was done in less than 2 hours , most of the time waiting for the eye drops to work   :)

Ohhh and bring sunglasses for when you leave , the eye drops make sunlight  hurt your eyes and its even hard to walk straight !

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There have been many threads on this, please do a search of the site.

Custom made glasses are not inexpensive here (in fact, overpriced) and many people find it better to order online.

For a good eye exam and reliable prescription, suggest Rutnin eye Hospital

For online ordering, people have recommended Zenni

http://www.zennioptical.com/

When you have an eye exam done at local shops, you really have no idea of the technicians qualifications...it's not unusual for the person examining your eyes to be nothing more than a shop employee who has had some training.  Several times in past years, I bought single vision glasses from local shops that provided the vision exam and the result fell far short of what I was hoping for.

Also, the shops are relentless trying to trade you up, for both lenses and frames.  It is very hard to escape for less than B5000. That's $150 and for 25% of that, you can get great glasses online.

Do some reading on lenses.  There are vast differences, the less expensive being thick, heavy glass.  There are ascending grades abd prices of plastic and polycarbonate lenses, their main advantage being thickness and weight.  Weight can make a huge difference in comfort and fit.

One suggestion with frames.  Most really cheap frames have molded in nose pads, where the frame rests on the nose.  Spend a little more and get frames with hinged nosepads that are adjustable...your nose will thank you.

I also recommend Zenni, mentioned above.  Shipping time to Bangkok was 10 days last time I used them.  Make sure Ophthalmologist includes "PD" (Pupilary distance) in the script  

is it possible to do mail order with bifocals? the optician usually needs to be present to measure the lens elevation for the split by seeing how the frames sit on yer head...

btw, any good places to buy specs between nana and asoke in BKK? no need fer an exam as my current specs with a current prescription are only a year old...

and I disagree re: integral plastic frame nose pads as I find hinged nose pads to be uncomfortable by comparison...plus there are fiddly little screws that always come loose, PITA...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

you say "first pair of glasses"  so not so bad. id stick to the cheap plastic ones for a year or two,let the vision part go down a peg or two,not worth paying high price for something hardly noticable at beginning

You may find this thread useful:

If you want an eye exam you need to visit an ophthalmologist, typically found in hospitals only. Opticians are not trained and certified to give eye exams. An ophthalmologist is trained and certified to perform eye exams but as I recall there is something like only half a dozen in all of Thailand.

5 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

is it possible to do mail order with bifocals? the optician usually needs to be present to measure the lens elevation for the split by seeing how the frames sit on yer head...

btw, any good places to buy specs between nana and asoke in BKK? no need fer an exam as my current specs with a current prescription are only a year old...

and I disagree re: integral plastic frame nose pads as I find hinged nose pads to be uncomfortable by comparison...plus there are fiddly little screws that always come loose, PITA...

Yes you can obtain bifocals or progressive lens by mail.  They do ask type of use questions (how high on nose) which probably covers issues (at least as well as done here in Thailand - where most fitting is done by a salesman - IMHO).  I strongly feel adjustable nose tabs are worth the chance of screw needing tightening at some point as you are able to adjust to fit (and if one side needs to be higher it can be).   Those 'nerd' plastic frames with nose built in are hot and never comfortable or fit right (unless you have a mannequin face) - they are from the 50's and well remember having to use them in my army days.  Don't even want them on my cheap reading glasses today.  

On 4/20/2017 at 2:51 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

btw, any good places to buy specs between nana and asoke in BKK?

They are all over priced, especially in the farang ghetto of Sukhumvit. Having said that, many people used to recommend "Siam Optical" which was on Suk. 23 for many years. They have moved several times since but I believe they are now on Sukhumvit between Soi 26 & 28, near Dasa Books; Phrom Phung BTS.

There used to be a large cluster of optical shops around the Ratchthewi/Petchabury intersection, not far from Pantip Plaza.  I think there are several still there. Ratchthewi BTS

Edited by dddave

if you have links to the USA, check out warbyparker.com

you can order it all online…including the prescription lens…fitted….great service too.

but you will need to know the value of your long sightedness and the pupil distance (PD)

Edited by JHolmesJr