Jump to content

Have I been had by DHL?


janclaes47

Recommended Posts

 

I ordered some items from abroad, and now DHL starts to ask me for invoices etc, however they are of course included with the shipment, and claims that customs are inspecting the items for import duties.

 

So I went through the tracking events on the DHL website and saw something what looks strange to me, but may be someone else can explain if this is normal.

 

To me it looks as if customs gave the go ahead at 5.29am, but at 6.47am someone decided to bring it back to customs. Is this normal or is it DHL wanting to score brownie points?

 

EVENT CATEGORY
18 Apr 17 3:38 AM - Customs status updated - BANGKOK,THAILAND

Further Details - Shipment has been given a release by Customs.
Next Steps - Unless there is an adhoc exam or a stop by another regulatory authority the shipment will proceed to delivery

 

EVENT CATEGORY
18 Apr 17 5:29 AM - Clearance processing complete - BANGKOK,THAILAND

 

EVENT CATEGORY
18 Apr 17 6:47 AM - Customs status updated - BANGKOK,THAILAND

Further Details - The shipment is pending completion of customs inspection.
Next Steps - The status will be updated following customs inspection. A DHL representative shall attempt to contact the importer if additional requirements are necessary.

 

EVENT CATEGORY
18 Apr 17 6:28 PM - Clearance delay - BANGKOK,THAILAND

Further Details - The shipment is pending completion of customs inspection.
Next Steps - The status will be updated following customs inspection. A DHL representative shall attempt to contact the importer if additional requirements are necessary.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are normal and most probably you will need to pay import duties applicable. Thai customs are quite strict and they do random checks of all items incoming regardless or size and value.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is the value over THB40,000? If so, that is standard. 

 

Otherwise it means that there is some kind of irregularity which requires further inspection. It can be as simple as them being unable to classify the goods with a tariff code from the description on the invoice.

 

Call the DHL hotline. They have English speaking staff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The value on invoice is only $25, and is declared as gift.

 

What actually strikes me is that in the first 2 events it looks as if the item already was released from custom clearance and ready for delivery, then 1 hour later it returns to customs

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

EVENT CATEGORY
18 Apr 17 3:38 AM - Customs status updated - BANGKOK,THAILAND

Further Details - Shipment has been given a release by Customs.
Next Steps - Unless there is an adhoc exam or a stop by another regulatory authority the shipment will proceed to delivery

 

EVENT CATEGORY
18 Apr 17 5:29 AM - Clearance processing complete - BANGKOK,THAILAND

 

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

EVENT CATEGORY
18 Apr 17 6:47 AM - Customs status updated - BANGKOK,THAILAND

Further Details - The shipment is pending completion of customs inspection.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DHL do their own clearance, so it's possible there's been an adhoc exam as noted in your first image under "Next Steps".

 

Unless they start demanding $$$ then you should be ok (that doesn't mean there will be no duty / VAT).

 

What's in the package?

 

EDIT for next time avoid the couriers, particularly on low value items, regular (registered / tracked) post works very well and most packages avoid duty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Crossy said:

DHL do their own clearance, so it's possible there's been an adhoc exam as noted in your first image under "Next Steps".

 

Unless they start demanding $$$ then you should be ok (that doesn't mean there will be no duty / VAT).

 

What's in the package?

 

 

 

Wireless air mouse remotes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I ordered some items from abroad, and now DHL starts to ask me for invoices etc,

Many items ordered from places like Amazon, eBay and others have euphemistically named (usually compulsory) programs like Global Shipping Service. They grossly over-charge you for shipping and prepayment of customs duty. They often use couriers such as DHL and, as someone else mentioned, they do their own customs clearance, thus ensuring that you will pay the maximum amount for customs.

 

Whenever possible I avoid vendors like that and choose to have things sent  through the post office. Nothing has ever gone missing whether I am receiving or sending something and on incoming parcels about 8 or 9 in 10 arrive without any duty being charged. That's been consistently true for over 10 years in Thailand.

 

I recently ordered 3 things via eBay on the same day, two of which I had to pay for the Global shipping program. The thing sent through the post office and delivered to my condo arrived first. No customs duty. The other two things I was obliged to pay shipping and prepayment of duty, in both cases these charges were greater than the price of the items ordered. The second item has arrived, delivered via DH about a week after the item sent through the post office. The third item has yet to arrive. Major rip-off, but for some things you're left with very little choice.

 

 

Edited by Suradit69
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just bought  electric gate closers  32 kilos from china, tried to avoid DHL, and of course when in Bangkok DHL gave all sorts of problems

 

Fortunately the seller gave a very reasonable invoice price attached to the shipment and saved big money, but still paid a lot of duty and vat on the invoice price plus also have to pay it on the shipping costs, then DHL add on another 200 to each invoice for handling

 

I thought there was free trade with china ??

 

However received today

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

DHL do their own clearance, so it's possible there's been an adhoc exam as noted in your first image under "Next Steps".

 

Unless they start demanding $$$ then you should be ok (that doesn't mean there will be no duty / VAT).

 

What's in the package?

 

EDIT for next time avoid the couriers, particularly on low value items, regular (registered / tracked) post works very well and most packages avoid duty.

Customs has been scrutinizing every package lately.

 

HiMedia sent me a Q10 for evaluation via DHL. DHL called me and said they wanted 3000 baht. They said customs valued the TV Box at 6000 THB and charged 1000B penalty for undervaluing the item.

I told DHL that there is no duty on a TV box  and I did not value the item, the sender did.

I was told they still wanted 2000 THB for customs and VAT + the 1000 THB penalty.

I told them to send the item back to the sender.

I contacted HiMedia and they sent another Q10 via the post. Customs charged me 580 THB for the second unit.

I was sent a Zidoo X9S which is cheaper than the Q10. It was sent via the post and was charged 728 THB

 

I received 2 Minix wireless keyboards they went right through. No duty no VAT.

I have a Z28 in route. This is a 2000 THB unit that should arrive tomorrow.  I am waiting to see what customs will do with this one.

 

Bottomline, I think customs is looking at every package that has a falang name on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

 

Bottomline, I think customs is looking at every package that has a falang name on it.

Most of the things I receive pass through customs without delay or attracting any duty ... if sent through the post office. 

I would expect that farangs are more likely to order personal things from outside the country than the typical Thai.

 

Nothing to suggest that Thai Customs discriminates, aside from farang paranoia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really sorry that your shipment came by DHL. We do a lot of small shipments of electronics from USA and UK, but mostly from USA. From my experience over the past couple of years, I can tell you that DHL is almost always a complete and total pain the backside when it comes to their clearance procedures.


Just last week, I ordered something from USA, for our business and to our business address. I ended up paying the all-in charge for shipping and clearance services, including duties. This is the Global Shipping Service that Suradit mentioned above. Unfortunately, some shippers require this, but I didn't find it to be much more expensive that shipping + duties and VAT.

 

After arriving at BKK, we had to send two different stacks of paperwork over to DHL and they even wanted my original passport, which of course I refused to send to them as they said they needed it for two days! They also mentioned additional fees, although I had a receipt from the vendor and the global shipping service clearly stating that all fees were prepaid. One week and about fifty pieces of signed paper later, they delivered.  This is not the first time we have had major bureaucratic delays with DHL.


With Fedex for exactly the same type and value of product, we receive a notification by email, sign one piece of paper and email it back and our package is delivered the next day. That also states the amount of duty and VAT. If we need to pay those, their delivery person collects it we have our package.

 

Maybe I have just had bad luck with DHL, but I always avoid them if at all possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the lesson here is to NEVER ever choose DHL (or EMS, UPS, etc) for something worth $25. get the cheapest possible shipping option and complain to the seller if anything goes wrong. otherwise, enjoy your stuff. either way, prepare yourself to lose your $25. as for DHL or UPS, prepare to get screwed many times over and cough up more than you've paid for (the items).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm well aware of the problems that seem to attached to DHL and I have always avoided them exclusively, but I had no other option this time, unless I wanted to wait 4 weeks on delivery.

 

The lady at the call centre also asked me, if I was not happy with their service, why I used them.

 

I told her that I and most other people avoid DHL like a toothache, which made her laugh, but it didn't change anything to my advantage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

I'm well aware of the problems that seem to attached to DHL and I have always avoided them exclusively, but I had no other option this time, unless I wanted to wait 4 weeks on delivery.

 

The lady at the call centre also asked me, if I was not happy with their service, why I used them.

 

I told her that I and most other people avoid DHL like a toothache, which made her laugh, but it didn't change anything to my advantage.

Same here, Jan. I had no choice with this vendor, as the only used DHL.

 

One other solution if you are buying a product in USA for shipment to Thailand is a shipping drop. We use:

 

https://www.shipito.com/en/

 

When your shipment arrives, they notify you by email and you can log in and choose which courier you would like to use. For an additional $1, they will "lose" the invoice from the vendor inside the box and then you complete your own commercial invoice with the correct description and value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am absolutely conviced that DHL, Fedex, UPS are on a commission for the duties etc,  I ALWAYS go USPS, which then goes to EMS in Thailand, it's just the postal service.  I have lost 1 package (under $5) in 12 years!  With the bigger companies you just get screwed, no kiss and sometimes a hand full of sand (just to make sure you feel it!).  I now just don't get stuff sent unless they will go by post.  Somtimes you can't get what you want but it is less painfull!

 

On a side note I had a 6 speed overdrive gearbox for my Harley sent from the States, and customs almost doubled the fees on it to what I had calculated.  I was on a rig at the time and my accountant handled it, the bottom line was, you can dispute it but they will charge you X amount every day for storage..... "pay them"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My two setangs worth, it is not the fault of the courier services, but Customs. They are getting very strict now because so many people in the past have been declaring false values to everything in order to pay less or no tax.

Anything marked as a Gift is still subject to have a declared monetary value on it. If not, the parcel and your name gets flagged, so even in the future, anything coming in, in your name will be pulled aside for an inspection.

How do I know this, I have had many run ins with customs and being polite and truthful normally helps in the long run.

I went to see the customs folks at Phuket and I fully understand their concerns now and my articles, big or small are delivered to my door and I just pay the customs duty requested.

EMS or other postage means without a tracking number , stands a very chance of not arriving here at all, especially post from Royal Mail.

Hope you get your wireless mice.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bubba said:

Same here, Jan. I had no choice with this vendor, as the only used DHL.

 

One other solution if you are buying a product in USA for shipment to Thailand is a shipping drop. We use:

 

https://www.shipito.com/en/

 

When your shipment arrives, they notify you by email and you can log in and choose which courier you would like to use. For an additional $1, they will "lose" the invoice from the vendor inside the box and then you complete your own commercial invoice with the correct description and value.

Yes they are good but have limitations (at least size wise) on what and where they send to via USPS.  I couldn't get a seat for my other bike off Ebay sent as the dimensions were just outside their limitations.....

 

NOTHING is easy!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

My two setangs worth, it is not the fault of the courier services, but Customs. They are getting very strict now because so many people in the past have been declaring false values to everything in order to pay less or no tax.

Anything marked as a Gift is still subject to have a declared monetary value on it. If not, the parcel and your name gets flagged, so even in the future, anything coming in, in your name will be pulled aside for an inspection.

How do I know this, I have had many run ins with customs and being polite and truthful normally helps in the long run.

I went to see the customs folks at Phuket and I fully understand their concerns now and my articles, big or small are delivered to my door and I just pay the customs duty requested.

EMS or other postage means without a tracking number , stands a very chance of not arriving here at all, especially post from Royal Mail.

Hope you get your wireless mice.

 

I have never had a problem with Royal mail, but I had to go to customs in Phuket town also once to dispute charges, I just showed them the emails from the company (on my phone) and they just said OK no problem, VERY reasonable I thought!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Then again, you can maybe get the item shipped to a local for free and they use the PO and send it to you...

Works for me when DHL is the only choice.....

However, if you don't have a friend in the country of supply, then DHL it has to be....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We learned never to use DHL years ago.  There are other problems even with EMS, which I try to use exclusively.  Twice we have had packages held up at Samut Songran because the sender didn't fill out the customs form correctly, or didn't indicate a value for the goods.  We were asked by the Post Office to drive the 2+ hours to the Customs office there so they could open the package and determine the charges.  No matter how much we argued our case and begged them to open the packages themselves they refused, saying they could not open the package unless the person indicated on the mailing label were there to witness.  Neither package was worth more than $100 and we finally told them both times to send it back.  Never heard from the sender and never got the merchandise. These couple of instances are the only times we had a problems using the Post Office EMS service, but they were very irritating.  Just  case of TIT that you have to get used to seeing on occasion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had a package delivered to the house today from DHL.  Received some SMS earlier in the week, something about a delay but I ignored it because the usually call if they have a customs issue.  I called to inquire last night and told them I hurt my leg and could not be at the shop and probably could not stop by them for a few days.  The polite staff said she would hold the box but could not redirect it without a fee.  This morning I get a call from a DHL driver.  He says the girl was full of it and asked for my house address and ran it over in an hour.  My only complaint with them is I once tried to ship a small piece of electronics (no batteries involved) internationally and they said they couldn't.  They said only FedEx will do that from Phuket.  BUT, she then called the FedEx guy who happened to be near the DHL office and had him stop by to take care of me saving a trip to the opposite side of the island.  So DHL turned a potential complaint into a happy customer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, bubba said:

Same here, Jan. I had no choice with this vendor, as the only used DHL.

 

One other solution if you are buying a product in USA for shipment to Thailand is a shipping drop. We use:

 

https://www.shipito.com/en/

 

When your shipment arrives, they notify you by email and you can log in and choose which courier you would like to use. For an additional $1, they will "lose" the invoice from the vendor inside the box and then you complete your own commercial invoice with the correct description and value.

I investigated these service before and found them outrageously priced and just followed your link to run some numbers.  Not cheap.  Side story:

I had a family member box a few pet toys up and ask the US Post Office for a quote....wait for it..... $350 USD.  I had the same box given to a friend who used her mailroom which uses UPS...$40.  God only knows how the post office is in business ass raping like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ThaiWai: We have found their Fedex rates to be about the same as our company account rates here, and sometimes a bit cheaper. US Post Office EMS rates with them are always considerably more expensive than Fedex.

 

If you were able to get even a small package sent over by UPS from the US for US$40, your friend's company mailroom is getting a very good discount indeed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, shady86 said:

These are normal and most probably you will need to pay import duties applicable. Thai customs are quite strict and they do random checks of all items incoming regardless or size and value.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

That would suggest they are efficient but actually not the case. If all other government departments are as thorough as customs this would be first world country. Customs officers are are some of the most curious and busy bodies....always looking for excuse to confiscate something and take back home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Many items ordered from places like Amazon, eBay and others have euphemistically named (usually compulsory) programs like Global Shipping Service. They grossly over-charge you for shipping and prepayment of customs duty. They often use couriers such as DHL and, as someone else mentioned, they do their own customs clearance, thus ensuring that you will pay the maximum amount for customs.

 

Whenever possible I avoid vendors like that and choose to have things sent  through the post office. Nothing has ever gone missing whether I am receiving or sending something and on incoming parcels about 8 or 9 in 10 arrive without any duty being charged. That's been consistently true for over 10 years in Thailand.

 

I recently ordered 3 things via eBay on the same day, two of which I had to pay for the Global shipping program. The thing sent through the post office and delivered to my condo arrived first. No customs duty. The other two things I was obliged to pay shipping and prepayment of duty, in both cases these charges were greater than the price of the items ordered. The second item has arrived, delivered via DH about a week after the item sent through the post office. The third item has yet to arrive. Major rip-off, but for some things you're left with very little choice.

 

 

The Global Shipping Program Is nothing more than a red flag for customs, Your advice is sound, Talk to the supplier and get the product off the GSP books by going to the website directly to pay, and have it sent via regular post and to add to that, a Thai receiving name.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.







×
×
  • Create New...