Bangkok bans its street food leaving foodies fed up, vendors in a pickle

webfact

I wish these idiots could make up their mind. Over the past three days its being banned, then its just being cleaned up, then its banned again, then rezoned and now the story changes again. More crazy twists to the plot than a Thai soap opera.

I think it's more a case of "Reuters late to the party" and reporting old news :rolleyes:

37 minutes ago, cunningstunt said:

You simply can not allow squatters selling anything to not pay rent or pay tax.
How would you feel if you were a small resteraunt owner or bar owner and they set up in front of your shop? And you have to pay tax and rent... Yep thought so

Member for one day and 34 posts? Oh, life must be sooooo boring in Bangkok these days

3 minutes ago, hobobo said:

Member for one day and 34 posts? Oh, life must be sooooo boring in Bangkok these days

Yes he needs to get out more.

Some members have commented on how many posts i make, but never more than 10 in any 1 day.

Also as my legs dont work anymore, i have an excuse, as i find it very difficult to get out.

Some members have commented on how many posts i make, but never more than 10 in any 1 day.
Also as my legs dont work anymore, i have an excuse, as i find it very difficult to get out.

Hey I post from bars as well. Ever been to Hua hin lol. There is nothing to go out and see! Im about to go to the gym and promise not to post from there but may post from the mall at lunch. Just click the follow button it's better than being stalked [emoji15]

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Always enjoy reading your posts Colin

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Whoever it was that managed to convince the world deep fried low grade sausages on a stick are the pinnacle of foodism deserves a Nobel in marketing.

And you would have to reckon that anyone ordering an oyster omelette roadside would have some kind of death wish.

54 minutes ago, cunningstunt said:

That makes no sense. If your business is suffering you don't rent out your shop front to a business that's competing against you.

Maybe rent it to a hat seller but never a food and drink seller

However I was talking about the thousands of mom n pop resteraunts across Thailand . They are hard workers to, why do they have to pay rent and tax?

The very busy Seven-Eleven near me does exactly that, rents the space out front to one or two food vendors who even have tables and chairs for their sit down customers. Beside the rent for the space, Seven probably do ok from the drink sales generated by the food sales. Inside this Seven they always run out of the hot food items they sell anyway. There is another close by the same. If you order food and a drink the seller has his kid get your drinks from inside and adds it to the bill. In the Philippines, many Seven-Eleven stores have sit down areas inside for people to eat the food they purchase and heat up in a microwave.

1 minute ago, kkerry said:

The very busy Seven-Eleven near me does exactly that, rents the space out front to one or two food vendors who even have tables and chairs for their sit down customers. Beside the rent for the space, Seven probably do ok from the drink sales generated by the food sales. Inside this Seven they always run out of the hot food items they sell anyway. There is another close by the same. If you order food and a drink the seller has his kid get your drinks from inside and adds it to the bill. In the Philippines, many Seven-Eleven stores have sit down areas inside for people to eat the food they purchase and heat up in a microwave.

oh 7/11 own the street in front their shop do they?  I see this a lot - shops 'renting' out pavement but actually they do not own it and the deal is "you can sell there and we won't tell Police for $$$"

1 minute ago, binjalin said:

oh 7/11 own the street in front their shop do they?  I see this a lot - shops 'renting' out pavement but actually they do not own it and the deal is "you can sell there and we won't tell Police for $$$"

Outside of downtown areas there are Seven-Eleven stores that aren't shop fronts right up against the footpath. The two I mentioned have tiled forecourts so it's not actually a footpath but would belong to Seven Eleven or whoever they rent the property from.

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Whoever it was that managed to convince the world deep fried low grade sausages on a stick are the pinnacle of foodism deserves a Nobel in marketing.

haha so true, just smelling this fried street food make me throw out.

1 hour ago, binjalin said:

'Vendors in a Pickle' who writes that crap?

anyway the elite who wrote this banning order will be no doubt be sitting in their air con expensive restaurants applauding themselves for cleaning the peasantry away from the streets but forget, entirely, they also clear away much of the culture and charm.

Enforce food hygiene and required a basic food hygiene cert to sell food I get that but this?  this is all about control and flexing the ammarts muscles 'because they can'.  

I .The elite wouldn't know culture and charm if it hit them on the head!

2. I amuse myself by imagining the look on the faces of this elite, if when driving home from their expensive restaurants they find themselves confronted by a crowd of evicted destitute street vendors. I know it is unlikely but one day...

It wouldn't too difficult to make them register for tax and display the license, after all, tax inspectors and police eat at those vendors as well - easy to check!

Right now the only "rent" they pay is to the local law enforcement, but moving them into shops generates income for hi-so land owners. So no surprise they started on Ekkamai and Thong Lor. Many owners don't want/need to sell up for condo development just yet.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

"We would like the consumers, tourists or even the Thai patrons to be entitled to sanitary food, so far I don't think we have achieved that," Wallop Suwandee, chief adviser to Bangkok's governor, told Reuters.

Thanks for the wallop Wallop. This is a good move as I have seen the dramatic rise of food poisoning reaching epidemic levels in Bangkok. Oh your our savior. There goes another cockroach must not be a local but trying to escape the frying pan. 

Edited by elgordo38

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Thanks for the wallop Wallop. This is a good move as I have seen the dramatic rise of food poisoning reaching epidemic levels in Bangkok. Oh your our savior. There goes another cockroach must not be a local but trying to escape the frying pan. 

"food poisoning reaching epidemic levels in Bangkok"? Is this from personal experience or do you have some sources for this so-called epidemic?

Just now, adrock212 said:

"food poisoning reaching epidemic levels in Bangkok"? Is this from personal experience or do you have some sources for this so-called epidemic?

I am sure if you reread it 2 or 3 times more you will be hit with a ha ha ha experience. This is have fun Friday. 

5 hours ago, Prbkk said:

And you would have to reckon that anyone ordering an oyster omelette roadside would have some kind of death wish.

I thought it was mussels they used. At least, all the places I've eaten it they used mussels.

There was a guy who would set up in the evenings just near Saphan Kwai BTS who sold mussel omelets. They were fantastic. He always had a queue of people waiting. I never got ill from eating them. Sadly he's been turfed out now as part of the ongoing 'clean up', so we are deprived of one more cheap culinary delight.

I wonder what all the office workers who don't have kitchens (which is the norm in most rented rooms) will do for food when the military have finished their pogrom on street vendors. There are going to be a lot of pissed off people in Bangkok.

58 minutes ago, nisakiman said:

I thought it was mussels they used. At least, all the places I've eaten it they used mussels.

There was a guy who would set up in the evenings just near Saphan Kwai BTS who sold mussel omelets. They were fantastic. He always had a queue of people waiting. I never got ill from eating them. Sadly he's been turfed out now as part of the ongoing 'clean up', so we are deprived of one more cheap culinary delight.

I wonder what all the office workers who don't have kitchens (which is the norm in most rented rooms) will do for food when the military have finished their pogrom on street vendors. There are going to be a lot of pissed off people in Bangkok.

The office workers and everyone else living in "rented rooms" will have to use 7/11 and similar, or the food courts in the malls..

The franchise operators are going to be the big winners here, the diners and vendors the big losers. Let's hear it for the "good people". The "urban peasantry" are getting stuffed, feudal...

Edited by JAG

9 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Largely agree, though the Northern spicy sausage (sai eua) is often sold in Bangkok too, delicious ? 

9 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Whoever it was that managed to convince the world that fast food

like Mcdonald's and Burger King is quality wholesome food

deserves a Nobel in marketing.

On 4/21/2017 at 10:24 AM, kkerry said:

Outside of downtown areas there are Seven-Eleven stores that aren't shop fronts right up against the footpath. The two I mentioned have tiled forecourts so it's not actually a footpath but would belong to Seven Eleven or whoever they rent the property from.

not wanting to divert the topic but there are many, many instances where shops take over, tile and build on land illegally and I don't think it's as clear-cut as you suggest but, of course, I don't know the individual circumstances nor have seen the chanots