TMN Internet

JayBird

Anyone try this?  Anyone know how good it is?  They seem to have fibre but I can not find any reviews on quality of connection, speed, international speed, etc.

If anyone has any info and wishes to share, would be greatly appreciated.

This has been discussed several times in here. Try a search.

I tried TMN fibre and  found it quite slow for international connections. So I cancelled it and carried on with 3BB ADSL. In a few months 3BB should be upgrading my line to VDSL which, coupled with their 200B @inter option, should be even better. YMMV

I did try looking here and googling, did not find much, and not much from the last few years.  Good to have a more up-to-date answer, thank you kindly for your response, especially the tid-bit with 3BB's VDSL + International Option :)

Maybe that's worth a go.

I have a Jomtien condo with  3BB 18/1.8Mbps ADSL and added TMN FTTH (they ran a new continuous-fibre cable from the main connection point in the building right to my living room wall) and have been running both ISPs side by side to run speed tests.  As KittenKong mentions above, TMN doesn't fare so well for overseas tests.

Originally I had the B599 TMN 20/7Mbps plan and after seeing how slow overseas speed test results were, I tried the B1200 30/10Mbps plan thinking maybe the entry-level, low-price plan was intentionally throttled to encourage folks to upgrade to the pricier package.  Here's the speed comparisons I've run with the faster TMN plan:

TMN_vs_3BB.gif.dfe592c9d8dcda224ee8150c9267bd80.gif

As you can see, I'm getting the full advertised speed for Bangkok tests with TMN, but for overseas tests 3BB is consistently considerably faster.  The upload speeds to Singapore are astonishingly low with TMN, considering the speed to Bangkok.  (All the speeds in the chart are Mbps, so the upload speeds to Singapore are under 1Mbps.)

The good thing about TMN is that a one-year contract is not required: you can subscribe month-by-month to test it.  You do need to buy the modem, which is a throwaway if you decide not to continue with TMN.

Edited by wpcoe

On 4/21/2017 at 8:44 AM, KittenKong said:

This has been discussed several times in here. Try a search.

I tried TMN fibre and  found it quite slow for international connections. So I cancelled it and carried on with 3BB ADSL. In a few months 3BB should be upgrading my line to VDSL which, coupled with their 200B @inter option, should be even better. YMMV

I'll eagerly await reports of your experience with the 3BB VDSL + @Inter option.  I want to do the same, but am fearful that it may not be as good as the old 3BB ADSL account I currently have.  The results from my TMN experiment shocked me, and I'm "once bitten, twice shy" about tempting the gods and upgrading the 3BB to VDSL.  As I understand it, once we give up the current 3BB ADSL service, it's a one-way street, and we can't get it back?

• 4 months later...

I currently have 3BB vdsl,50/10 package,1 year contract,about 9000 thb a year,I use Speedof.me, have been advised by an Android TV provider it's a much more accurate test,I'm lucky to get 20mbps to Singapore with ping around 51,will b trying new service with AIS later in the year.

9 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

I currently have 3BB vdsl,50/10 package,1 year contract,about 9000 thb a year,I use Speedof.me, have been advised by an Android TV provider it's a much more accurate test,I'm lucky to get 20mbps to Singapore with ping around 51,will b trying new service with AIS later in the year.

I also have 3bb VDSL(50/20) in my Jomtien condo. I upgraded from TOT VDSL which was a major disappointment. My speed will vary slightly by time of day but overall I am satisfied. I've been told the internet international gateway options are few as all carriers must use the CAT pipeline. Here's my speed now to a Bangkok server

Screenshot_20170901-213728.png

Edited by ThaiBob

9 hours ago, johng said:

One of the TMN cable fitters told me not to bother with their internet option...that was about 4 years ago in Na-Jomtien maybe its better now ?

I checked TMN about 1.5 years ago by connecting directly to their fiber hub at their headquarters.

Speed within Thailand was 100/1 (yes, upload limited to 1mbps) and international was pathetic.

Unless they did major changes to their service, don't bother.

I too use 3BB VDSL 50 and I am currently satisfied with the service, after going through a difficult period about 1-2 years ago before they introduced VDSL 50.

Edited by manarak

10 hours ago, johng said:

One of the TMN cable fitters told me not to bother with their internet option...that was about 4 years ago in Na-Jomtien maybe its better now ?

I tested TMN early this year and while I got full speed on tests to Bangkok, the overseas speeds were quite bad.  My existing 3BB 18Mbps/1.8Mbps ADSL was considerably faster for overseas sites than even the 30Mbps/10Mbps TMN fibre internet.  This was with a fibre cable all the way to my living room wall (Jomtien condo).

17 minutes ago, manarak said:

I checked TMN about 1.5 years ago by connecting directly to their fiber hub at their headquarters.

Speed within Thailand was 100/1 (yes, upload limited to 1mbps) and international was pathetic.

Unless they did major changes to their service, don't bother.

I too use 3BB VDSL 50 and I am currently satisfied with the service, after going through a difficult period about 1-2 years ago before they introduced VDSL 50.

Is your 3BB VDSL with, or without, the B200 "@3BBInter" supplement which they no longer offer to new subscribers?

Just now, wpcoe said:

I tested TMN early this year and while I got full speed on tests to Bangkok, the overseas speeds were quite bad.  My existing 3BB 18Mbps/1.8Mbps ADSL was considerably faster for overseas sites than even the 30Mbps/10Mbps TMN fibre internet.  This was with a fibre cable all the way to my living room wall (Jomtien condo).

Is your 3BB VDSL with, or without, the B200 "@3BBInter" supplement which they no longer offer to new subscribers?

My VDSL 50 is the regular one, 700 baht per month.

On 23/04/2017 at 4:34 AM, wpcoe said:

I'll eagerly await reports of your experience with the 3BB VDSL + @Inter option.  I want to do the same, but am fearful that it may not be as good as the old 3BB ADSL account I currently have.  The results from my TMN experiment shocked me, and I'm "once bitten, twice shy" about tempting the gods and upgrading the 3BB to VDSL.  As I understand it, once we give up the current 3BB ADSL service, it's a one-way street, and we can't get it back?

I did actually comment on my 3BB  VDSL in other threads, which you have seen, but will do so again here for the sake of completeness.

I paid 800B for a new modem/router which they set up in the 3BB office and which I fitted myself. I use their router simply as a bridge to mine and have turned off the wifi on it. The service was functioning within a few hours of me leaving the 3BB office. No one needed to come to my condo but various 3BB people called me several times and asked if it was OK. They obviously did make some adjustments to the line outside as the speed improved quite significantly over the first 24-48 hours.

I have the @inter option at 200B/month which apparently no longer exists for new customers. I dont know exactly what I get for the supplement but given how cheap it is I would rather keep it. I pay one year in advance and my total payment for 50/20 VDSL with @inter option is the same as I previously paid for 18/1 ADSL: just over 10,600B incl VAT.

To Bangkok servers I systematically get 50/20mbs, with no apparent variation at any time of day or night.

To international servers the speed varies. Singapore is generally around 30/20. Europe generally around 20/10, though it can be more. All international speeds can vary significantly depending on whether they are for prolonged transfers or to multiple servers. Also international speeds are obviously throttled between 18.00 and 24.00, and this is particularly noticeable on torrents and streamed media for example. However the throttling does not cause any buffering on the services I use.

VOIP/SIP to European servers works well with the VDSL service.

I am pleased with the upgrade, and particularly with the reliability of the VDSL compared to my old ADSL (so far 100% reliability). This is good because, as mentioned, apparently upgrading is a path from which one cannot return.

@KittenKong Thanks for the rehash.

I waited for someone, you in particular actually, to post about speeds after getting the VDSL with @3BBinter, but once you did, they no longer were offering the @3BBinter supplement so I'm now looking for folks with the bare-bones (i.e. sans @3BBinter) VDSL package to report speeds to/from overseas sites.

When I initially took over my 3BB ADSL account from the previous owner of the condo I bought, I asked at the 3BB counter about "upgrading" to VDSL and was told that the particular ADSL account I had inherited (18/1.8) was an old one with little (no?) overseas shaping and that changing to VDSL would be a downgrade in speed to overseas sites.  So, I kept it.  BTW, there was no @3BBinter supplement on offer at that time.

But, now the new folks at the 3BB counter are trying to sell me on the current VDSL package "promising" that it will be faster to/from overseas web sites than my existing ADSL.  I also tested Sophon FTTH and was shocked at how poorly it performed with overseas sites.  I'm a little suspicious of the change in the 3BB sales pitch.

Off-topic a bit, but another change in the 3BB offer is that had I switched to VDSL back when this started (Dec 2016) they said they would keep me on a month-to-month package.  Now, I'm required to sign a 12-month (or longer) contract.

4 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Off-topic a bit, but another change in the 3BB offer is that had I switched to VDSL back when this started (Dec 2016) they said they would keep me on a month-to-month package.  Now, I'm required to sign a 12-month (or longer) contract.

I was also told that switching to VDSL would mean a new contract. No big deal as I pay yearly in advance anyway, so as to get the discount.