Commerce to make Thailand “Paradise of Street Food”

webfact

Again the non elected government thinks it knows what it is doing It does not            "The Ministry of Commerce plans to make Thailand as a "Paradise of Street Food" after the country was named for having the best street food in the world for the second consecutive year this year."

As I have said in other posts "street food is the heart and soul of Thailand " banning street food would be like cutting off both feet. My feelings are relected in Thailand 

being names for having the best street food in the world. AGAIN

But the junta wants to take back the sidewalks and destroy a piece of Thailand . You can see now why having a non elected official is dangerous. They want what they want and not what is necessarily good for the country and the Thai people .

Street food has been and should always be part of the Thai culture Take that away and you take away part of the Thai culture 

IMHO, the best street food comes from Malaysia.

Most is made with overused oils and lashings of flavourings/spices

And laden with MSG, and the cheapest chicken (fatty, chicken head and feet for soups etc), and nothing but white rice.

Hardly healthy, is it?  Remind me again of the stats for diabetes in Thailand.

3 hours ago, TSF said:

Whoever said Thailand has the best street food in the world has obviously never visited S'Pore, KL, Penang. While some Thai street food is very good indeed, it lacks variety. It's always the same stuff and pretty much Thai/Chinese only. Nothing to write home about compared to the huge varieties of street/hawker food found in S'Pore & Malaysia.

1. Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok's Chinatown is one of the best city districts for street food.

Bangkok's Chinatown is one of the best city districts for street food.
It's impossible to avoid street food in Bangkok, where sidewalk vendors in different parts of the city operate on a fixed rotation.
Some take care of the breakfast crowd with sweet soymilk and bean curd, others dish up fragrant rice and poached chicken for lunch.
The late-night crowd offers everything from phad thai noodles to grilled satay.
Chef Van, of the French brasserie 4Garcons on Thong Lor Soi 13 in Bangkok, favors street food in Chinatown -- known locally as "Yarowat."
He recommends hoy tod nai mong, a crisp fried mussel pancake: "The chef and owner makes them one by one on the charcoal stove."
Another favorite: Kuay tiew kai soi sai nam phung: "It is noodle soup with chicken wing stew with young egg and pork intestine! I've had it since I was a kid."

8 hours ago, TSF said:

Whoever said Thailand has the best street food in the world has obviously never visited S'Pore, KL, Penang. While some Thai street food is very good indeed, it lacks variety. It's always the same stuff and pretty much Thai/Chinese only. Nothing to write home about compared to the huge varieties of street/hawker food found in S'Pore & Malaysia.

The Thai do sell things like sashimi or maki on the streets but it isn't chilled.....up to you.

Penang is the same filthy mess as Thai streetfood, Singapore is of European standard though.

The biggest issue is not streetfood but they even put tables/chairs on the sidewalks for that who block the flow.

I hope they are all gone from the sidewalks soon. They can open a shop in a mall or market.

What street food ? It's dissapering  as there throwing them off the street 

Look at Lumpini Silom going going gone 

As for clean that's a laugh  dining with the rats and and other night creatures 

Bkk is changing and not for the better going are the night markets the street food and the cool old houses 

To be replaced by yep you guessed it by another shopping mall or a 40 story condo 

All  by the big 3 families  in bkk the government are a joke they just want to hear there own voice 

It's   a ?????laugh 

You can buy so called street food at the many food courts with what appears to be a higher level of hygiene but of course the hours are limited.. This whole topic is overblown as so called "street food" will never go away.. :smile:

On 4/21/2017 at 1:11 PM, daveAustin said:

The street food can taste great, generally, but you can't live on it. Most is made with overused oils and lashings of flavourings/spices. Good taste, no doubt, but very bad for the guts. Hospitals overflow with people with stomach issues.

Many of the street food stalls I have shopped at did sell tasty food but some had clearly failed to attend the hygiene classes.

No doubt an announcement will be made shortly declaring that the public had "misunderstood" the Government's objectives in clearing away all the street food carts, as they were in fact merely trying to replace them with better quality carts with better food and better hygiene standards, in line with its attempts at achieving a better class of tourists.

There, I have done the job for them!  

On 4/21/2017 at 1:50 AM, PatOngo said:

What came first, the chicken or the egg???

The eggs come first for breakfast, the chicken comes later for lunch or diner.

Whats wrong with you guys?? only top ten please , we dont want to hijack this thread

Edited by sirineou

On ‎21‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:13 PM, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

The rooster came first!!! Or you wouldn't have an egg.

No offence but a rooster has about as much chance of laying an egg as you do...........unless of course you are the most amazing computer literate chicken in the world.

Just when you thought there was going to be a Crack-Down, they announce that the new strategy is now to become a Hub, talk about having your cake & eating it  (coming soon to a stall near you  ...  but no subs, just yet !).  :tongue:

14 hours ago, dubsky said:

I have been visiting Thailand since 2009 and only time got food poisoning was after eating in burger king. I kid you not.

Rather than banning street food  up the standards and enforce then for the good of the public. Get a squad of 

officials that inspect food and get them working on the street If a cart-street food vendor does not

meet the standard fine them

You will see a vast improvement Learn to enforce rather than Knee Jerk reaction  "Banning Street Food" the people that thought of this are the people you do not want in government 

Edited by realenglish1