20% discount at McDonalds using the Rabbit card

BadCash

Until may 31, McDonalds are offering 20% discount for customers paying with their Rabbit card (doesn't seem to apply to Namtok Salmon or Pad Khapaow). More info here

It's not like I eat at McDonalds every day or anything, but once a week or so I'll get a burger or one of their McThai special menus, like the Namtok Salmon. I have yet to this day not seen a single person use a Rabbit card to pay for their meal, despite the current special 20% discount (and regular 10% discount).

I don't get it. I bet most of the customers at McDonalds also regularly use the BTS and would benefit from a Rabbit card. And if you have a Rabbit card, there is absolutely no reason not to get a 10% discount (and not even have to fumble with cash and change).  I don't get why people who live in Bangkok and need to use the BTS more than once in a year won't get a Rabbit card either. 

Can anyone explain this? Do people just not know that they can get a Rabbit card? Or is it a "status" thing to not take advantage of offered discounts? Or is it just plain old "20% is nothing"? (well, at your 5'th visit it's a free meal. Literally a free meal!)

Not sure if it's a Thai thing, but I'd think that in my home country people would not hesitate to avoid ticket queues and getting a 20% discount at a restaurant...

• Like 2

I also noticed it but it was all in Thai language and i thought i would be fooled again. It also had to do with line-pay iirc. It was 10% discount before.

Also it's a problem to upgrade the rabbitcard (not enough uploadpoints) so i don't use it for the Mac, it's for skytrainuse only.

Sure it's a good discount on the Mac, and i like rabbitpay as well.

9 hours ago, BadCash said:

if you have a Rabbit card, there is absolutely no reason not to get a 10% discount (and not even have to fumble with cash and change).

ive got a rabbit card for the bts when im in bk 

but ive no idea if i could use it in a mc donalds in chiang mai ?

dave2

rabbit card for bts skytrain 8 feb 17 20170220_174607~01.jpg

mc donalds no photo etc notices 27 jun 14 20140627_151101.jpg

11 hours ago, dave2 said:

ive got a rabbit card for the bts when im in bk 

but ive no idea if i could use it in a mc donalds in chiang mai ?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it is Bangkok only.

The places where you can pay with your Rabbit card has a payment terminal that looks like this:

rabbit.jpg

18 hours ago, fruitman said:

Also it's a problem to upgrade the rabbitcard (not enough uploadpoints) so i don't use it for the Mac, it's for skytrainuse only.

Actually you can top up the card at any place where you can pay with it as well, just as easy as you would at a BTS station. Just tell the cashier at McDonalds or wherever that you want to top up your card, hand them an amount of cash, and place the card on the terminal. A green light will come on if the operation was successful. Then you have to place your card on the terminal again to make the actual purchase.

• Like 1

Firstly, thanks for the heads up about the 20% discount at Macca's. Will come in handy I'm sure.

I've also never understood the long lines at peak-hour BTS and MRT ticket counters and change machines.

Maybe it needs a promotion with lots of hello girls selling cards with 100 baht bonus travel to get more people to use them.

If they want to make people use cards instead of cash then do what other transport systems have done and make all travel pre-paid card only.

The McDonalds next to Robinsons near Asok, people use Rabbit cards there and the staff are used to it.

Paying at Coffee World and Mezzo, the staff there often need to call a supervisor because they don't know what to do.

I was really surprised the other day when the Coffee World in Central Rama 9 didn't even have a terminal.

Keep in mind (unless it has changed recently) when you top up somewhere like McDonalds, you will be charged a fee (3%?) to do so.

1 hour ago, BadCash said:

Actually you can top up the card at any place where you can pay with it as well, just as easy as you would at a BTS station. Just tell the cashier at McDonalds or wherever that you want to top up your card, hand them an amount of cash, and place the card on the terminal. A green light will come on if the operation was successful. Then you have to place your card on the terminal again to make the actual purchase.

I was in some bakery where i could pay with rabbit, i asked them if i could topup the card and they said no cannot.

Also mac won't top it up.

So i don't use it often.

3 hours ago, kkerry said:

Keep in mind (unless it has changed recently) when you top up somewhere like McDonalds, you will be charged a fee (3%?) to do so.

Never heard or seen anything about a top up fee, can't find anything about it online either... where did you see that?

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Also mac won't top it up.

Which McDonalds was that? I've never been denied topping up my card at a McD, but it does seem that not all companies who accept it for purchases are authorized to top up, according to the Rabbit website. Minimum amount to top up is 100 baht, so keep that in mind.

6 minutes ago, BadCash said:

Never heard or seen anything about a top up fee, can't find anything about it online either... where did you see that?

Which McDonalds was that? I've never been denied topping up my card at a McD, but it does seem that not all companies who accept it for purchases are authorized to top up, according to the Rabbit website. Minimum amount to top up is 100 baht, so keep that in mind.

I tried to topup at MD in the subs where they can't speak a word english and don't even know what a cheeseburger set might be. (Yes i know it's all my fault and that i better find out where Suvarnabhumi is).

I guess even the Thai don't understand the 20% offer, nobody uses rabbit at all outside the skytrain area. The discount is also for LINEpay users iirc and they are everywhere.

Also Samsung pay is offered at many places lately but i still didn't check it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BadCash said:

I haven't seen it written online but I was told a fee would apply before they proceeded with topping up at a McDonalds a long way from central Bangkok. It was also itemised on the receipt they gave me. It was a while ago but something like 14 baht for a 500 baht top-up. 

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

I tried to topup at MD in the subs where they can't speak a word english and don't even know what a cheeseburger set might be. (Yes i know it's all my fault and that i better find out where Suvarnabhumi is).

I guess even the Thai don't understand the 20% offer, nobody uses rabbit at all outside the skytrain area. The discount is also for LINEpay users iirc and they are everywhere.

Also Samsung pay is offered at many places lately but i still didn't check it out.

While it's true not very many people have Rabbit BTS cards outside of central Bangkok, if you see a card reader, then someone in the shop will have been trained to use it, even if most of the casual staff are clueless, fairly common in my experience. With McDonalds and places like Coffee World, if there is a Rabbit discount or buy one get one free promotion, there will be a sign in Thai and English next to the card reader, so if they don't give you your discount hand them back your receipt and point to the sign as they will fix it, even if it means calling the duty manager, although hardly worth waiting around if only for a few baht. If you read the conditions for some of the Rabbit offers, there are limits to how many discounts etc. they give out per promotion, but in the hundreds of times I've used my Rabbit card, other then Macca's Sukumvit, I've yet to see anyone else use one for a promotion.

Mezzo Coffee have a loyalty scheme and even when I give them my member number and tell them 10% discount, some staff still don't give me the discount even though they have advertisements saying 10% off at the counter, and plastered across every single table in the shop :ermm:  I don't think they are trying to rip me off,  rather they just don't know what to do, and in the smaller shops there isn't always a manager about. My local Mezzo survives on a bunch of regulars there for the excellent wi-fi and a/c, so all the staff now know what to do. Not receiving the discount even happens to my wife sometimes but she complains and gets it refunded.

52 minutes ago, kkerry said:

While it's true not very many people have Rabbit BTS cards outside of central Bangkok, if you see a card reader, then someone in the shop will have been trained to use it, even if most of the casual staff are clueless, fairly common in my experience. With McDonalds and places like Coffee World, if there is a Rabbit discount or buy one get one free promotion, there will be a sign in Thai and English next to the card reader, so if they don't give you your discount hand them back your receipt and point to the sign as they will fix it, even if it means calling the duty manager, although hardly worth waiting around if only for a few baht. If you read the conditions for some of the Rabbit offers, there are limits to how many discounts etc. they give out per promotion, but in the hundreds of times I've used my Rabbit card, other then Macca's Sukumvit, I've yet to see anyone else use one for a promotion.

Mezzo Coffee have a loyalty scheme and even when I give them my member number and tell them 10% discount, some staff still don't give me the discount even though they have advertisements saying 10% off at the counter, and plastered across every single table in the shop :ermm:  I don't think they are trying to rip me off,  rather they just don't know what to do, and in the smaller shops there isn't always a manager about. My local Mezzo survives on a bunch of regulars there for the excellent wi-fi and a/c, so all the staff now know what to do. Not receiving the discount even happens to my wife sometimes but she complains and gets it refunded.

Well i'm not going to argue about 10 baht with staff who can't speak english. Also i really examined the 20% and Line logo's next to it and concluded that 20% is too much to give like that, this must be a trap or something i could't get at all (Just like the promotions in Central). I would like to have the LINE-pay on my phone but it has to be very easy and simple to get.

11 hours ago, BadCash said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it is Bangkok only.

The places where you can pay with your Rabbit card has a payment terminal that looks like this:

ohh ####

so i guess me using it in bucharest romania is out then ?

just joshin .. dave2

mc donalds bucharest jan 03 DSCF0016.JPG

• Like 1

FYI - 10% discount with Rabbit at Auntie Anne Pretzels too. 

There is another discount top-up card called CRG Plus that has discounts at some KFC and some Auntie Annes as well. 

Ive been using this card for almost 2 years at McDonald's in Pattaya and at impact in bkk. Its always been 10% no questions asked and just the last 2 months its been 20% ... You refill it at McDonald's .. i keep minimum balance in case i lose it

20% is something in McDonald's - assuming one eats there. But BTS's idea of discounts for any kind of pre-paid card is derisory. Which might explain why people don't necessarily bother, even for the convenience.

I think standing in line once every month or two beats the heck out of standing in line twice a day. Plus, I can load the Rabbit card with my visa.

That I can use it all over town and get 10% discounts at many places is a bonus.

People that don't like McDonald's should not go there. My kid likes it and the coffee is okay.

I top up my Rabbit card in Phuket regularly before I travel to Bangkok, no fee charged at Macca's to top it up.

Staff at the different Macca's outlets in Phuket have no problems using the Rabbit system. They give the discount for purchases also.

Very convenient, and 20% (or even the normal 10%) is a good incentive on the odd occasion where I indulge in a rare burger or a sundae

16 hours ago, BadCash said:

I just put 1000 baht on mine yesterday at the food court in MBK, never charged 3% as one poster implies, never refused a top up, where they getting their misinformation??  I use this card quite regularly, and monitor the charges.............

Edited by TunnelRat69

I just put 1000 baht on mine yesterday at the food court in MBK, never charged 3% as one poster implies, never refused a top up, where they getting their misinformation??  I use this card quite regularly, and monitor the charges.............

They are making it up. Let them eat healthy noodles and wait in line for change and BTS tickets.

20 hours ago, themerg said:

Hello. I am Frank.

I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

What is Rabbit card ?

Where can I get a Rabbit Card ?

Bangkok only - stored value card for the BTS, though I'm guessing you might have googled it by now. 

On 4/22/2017 at 9:06 PM, BadCash said:

I tried topping up at Auntie Anne's and they said I could use it only to pay.  I tried again at Starbucks and got the same response.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mogandave said:

You can top it up with credit card at BTS stations

thats what ive been doing up till now but ohh dear :(

according to the rules of 16 april 16

i shouldnt even have one :(

it says .. senior rabbit cards can only be used by thai senior citizens

aged 60 years and over according to date of birth as shown on citizens id

( must state year of birth as 1956 or before ) which must be presented upon

request by bts staff !

when i asked for one at asok she asked me for id so i gave her my thai driving licence and 60 seconds later she gave me a senior rabbit card loaded with the 1000 baht i had given her !

maybe the rules have changed now ?

dave2

ps .. im going to england in a few weeks so ill ask about it when i get

down to bangkok 

rabbit card for bts seniors 17 apr 16 DSC05731.jpg

bangkok victory monument bts station 6 dec 15 20151206_121302.jpg

• Like 1