20% discount at McDonalds using the Rabbit card

BadCash

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

So you didn't have to pay the 50? for the card?

yes i did ... the cost of the first card is about 150 baht ish

so i had about 850 baht ish credit so i was happy not having to queue

every time i got on or off the bts coz i use it a lot when im in bangkok 

just tap the card on the top of the gate to get on

the same off .... and it automaticly takes off what youve spent

no queueing waiting or getting change for the

ticket machines

so i can get to caturday cat cafe quicker from asok .. heaven :)

dave2 

cat cafe caturday entrance 11 feb 17 20170211_130654 (1).jpg

cat cafe caturday ginger yellow eye 11 feb 17 20170211_134708.jpg

On 4/27/2017 at 6:49 AM, mogandave said:

McDonald's sells their cards,

not in chiang mai they dont coz i asked there yesterday !

but i topped up my card there with 500 baht no problem :)

the girl also said you can get a rabbit card at

branches of bangkok bank or use line pay instead ?

i use line but ive never heard of line pay ?

dave2

mc donalds rabbit top up 500 baht 27 apr 17 20170427_184949~01.jpg

mc donalds line pay rabbit top up 27 apr 17 20170427_143355~01.jpg

bts bangkok siam station 6 dec 15 20151206_132644.jpg

On 26/04/2017 at 8:10 PM, dave2 said:

thats what ive been doing up till now but ohh dear :(

according to the rules of 16 april 16 ...

... i shouldnt even have one :(

maybe the rules have changed now

Correct, you shouldn't have one, but since you do ...

No rule change (at least not recently), you must be over 60 and Thai for a senior Rabbit.

To get the MRT senior card (50% travel discount) you just have to be over 60.

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

To get the MRT senior card (50% travel discount) you just have to be over 60

i only use the mrt to get to patpong / sathorn or the river which isnt very often

so i dont need one :)

dave2 

soi cowboy mrt sukhavit station 2 12 jan 16 20160112_124157.jpg

Wow, this thread derailed pretty quickly... the last place I expected it to end up was a photo of an MRT station :)

My original intent was basically to understand why on earth Thais, who one would think consider McDonalds relatively "expensive", don't seem to know/care about a substantial 10-20% discount... oh well, guess it's one more thing to add to the growing list of "that's just the way it is Thailand and I will never understand it" (a.k.a. "Thai's work in mysterious ways")...

Edited by BadCash

Wow, this thread derailed pretty quickly... the last place I expected it to end up was a photo of an MRT station :)

My original intent was basically to understand why on earth Thais, who one would think consider McDonalds relatively "expensive", don't seem to know/care about a substantial 10-20% discount... oh well, guess it's one more thing to add to the growing list of "that's just the way it is Thailand and I will never understand it" (a.k.a. "Thai's work in mysterious ways")...

Penny-wise, pound foolish.

The Rabbit card seems like a no-brainer to me, yet you see hundreds of people waiting in line everyday

13 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Penny-wise, pound foolish.

The Rabbit card seems like a no-brainer to me, yet you see hundreds of people waiting in line everyday

indeed. wonder the same thing myself, i dont use the bts that often but have a pre-paid card. the queues to buy tickets at some stations in the rush hour and at weekends can be horrendous, why do people prefer to queue for ages to enter the station when they could just walk straight onto the platform. bizarre.

17 minutes ago, samsensam said:

indeed. wonder the same thing myself, i dont use the bts that often but have a pre-paid card. the queues to buy tickets at some stations in the rush hour and at weekends can be horrendous, why do people prefer to queue for ages to enter the station when they could just walk straight onto the platform. bizarre.

My job would be much easier if I could put an absolute answer to that question.

Bangkok (MRT and BTS) are running at about 50%/50% single ride / stored value usage.

Hong Kong has less than 5% single ride users.

Manila is about 5% stored value users.

Certainly in the Philippines it has a lot to do with the demographic of the travelling public. People simply can't afford to tie up a couple of dollars on a stored value card which can only work on the light rail.

In Hong Kong everyone (and I mean everyone, there are actually more active cards than adult population) has an Octopus card. But Octopus works everywhere, not just transit but as a cash replacement for micro-purchase (no rummaging for change), vending machines, parking etc etc.

Bangkok is piggy in the middle, a reasonably affluent population but no Octopus-like card. Rabbit only works on the BTS and BRT but does some retail, the 7/11 card does different retail and the DM tollway but no transit, the MRT-Plus card only does Blue and Purple lines and no retail.

The Mangmoom (Spider) card is stuck in its own web, it may be active early next year if OTP/MRTA/BEM/BTSC/SRT get their act together, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

4 hours ago, BadCash said:

you didnt liike the pic of soi cowboy mrt station ?

ok...  heres a pic of a mc donalds then :)

just joshin .. dave2

mc donalds clark mall angeles city 31 dec 16 20161231_121139.jpg

I have a Senior's Card too.  My wife purchased it for me a couple of years ago and told me to keep it under wraps when using it.  I have never tried to top it up as she does it for me. Can you use a Senior's Card at these places that offer a discount too, i.e., Maccas?

For those who have managed to wing a Senior Rabbit do be aware that you get a blue concession lamp when you use the gate. So if security are on the ball you'll need to play the dumb farang. 

On the ball and Thai security ...

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

if you like the movies, SF has a great senior card, and I think you only have to be 50 to get it.

hes probably right but i cant read the sign

or have time to go to the cinema :(

dave2

maya mall s f senior cinema ticket prices 21 jul 14 20140721_160917.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 4/26/2017 at 6:52 PM, mogandave said:

You and top it at McDonald's, but only with cash. Not sure about CM, but I am sure in a few provinces.

You can top it up with credit card at BTS stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Can we top up our Rabbit card using a credit card at any of those affiliated retail businesses who accept rabbit card payments? Or is it only via cash?

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Can we top up our Rabbit card using a credit card at any of those affiliated retail businesses who accept rabbit card payments? Or is it only via cash?

I don't think so any longer.

BUT

You can link your Rabbit card to a Line-Pay account and never need to top it up again ???? Look for the Rabbit Line-Pay app. 

37 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I don't think so any longer.

BUT

You can link your Rabbit card to a Line-Pay account and never need to top it up again ???? Look for the Rabbit Line-Pay app. 

Be careful when you link your Rabbit card to Line-Pay, you may not be able to use it outside of BTS anymore. The reason being the balance from Rabbit card is moved from card internal storage to the cloud after linking to Line-pay. If the Rabbit card reader at McDonald is old and can only read the card internal storage,  it sees zero balance and rejects the card. Only the newer Rabbit card readers that has online access to the cloud can accept the ones linked to Line-Pay. I made a mistake of keeping my luggage in a storage locker near BTS station which accepts Rabbit card. When I came back the next day to pickup my luggage, I can not open my locker anymore because it rejected my rabbit card due to not enough balance. My rabbit card is linked to Line-Pay which is then linked to the credit card so BTS can directly pull the fare from my credit card. However, older card readers can only deduct from card internal stored value balance so it mistakenly rejected my card as having not enough balance.

Edited by sanmyintmaung
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Be careful when you link your Rabbit card to Line-Pay, you may not be able to use it outside of BTS anymore. The reason being the balance from Rabbit card is moved from card internal storage to the cloud after linking to Line-pay. If the Rabbit card reader at McDonald is old and can only read the card internal storage,  it sees zero balance and rejects the card. Only the newer Rabbit card readers that has online access to the cloud can accept the ones linked to Line-Pay. I made a mistake of keeping my luggage in a storage locker near BTS station which accepts Rabbit card. When I came back the next day to pickup my luggage, I can not open my locker anymore because it rejected my rabbit card due to not enough balance. My rabbit card is linked to Line-Pay which is then linked to the credit card so BTS can directly pull the fare from my credit card. However, older card readers can only deduct from card internal stored value balance so it mistakenly rejected my card as having not enough balance.

When i use new technology i always had issues like you...so now i'm happy if other people test it first, thanks.