Renew UK Passport - What to use for residency evidence?

Hi,

I need to renew my UK passport shortly and part of the requirement is to "provide evidence of name and address and/or residency dated within the last year".

The documents accepted for this are given below:

Please provide one of the following:
• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)
• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority
• educational record eg school report
• employment record eg official letter from your employer
• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department
• medical/health card
• voter’s card
• immigration documents.

The only one of these that I can provide is the visa, however, after being here for the past 9 months on a guardian visa (based on my daughter being in school here) I now have a tourist visa after pulling my daughter out of school.

So, anyone know whether my tourist visa, perhaps combined with my previous Non-O, would be sufficient for this residency evidence requirement?

Cheers.

26 minutes ago, NCNC said:

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

If you are on a long term visa or extension of stay, then they will accept this, no need to prove any address.

Edited by Mattd

Not sure a tourist visa entry will be enough proof of your residency.

They will accept many thing besides what is on the list. For example a Thai drivers license, a utility bill in your name (phone, cable TV, internet and etc). A bank statement with your name and  address.

Do you have any thing from your daughter schools that has your name and address on it.

If in Thai it will have to be translated to English.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mattd said:

If you are on a long term visa or extension of stay, then they will accept this, no need to prove any address.

I disagree, they specifically need something with a name & address on it .

Edited by sanemax

Thanks everyone for your replies.  The wording on the guidance documents definitely does not suggest they will accept any other types of documents as proof of residency so great to know that they do.

I have my rental agreement which is in both English and Thai plus statements from DTAC and Bangkok Bank which are all again in both English and Thai.

Seems like a bank statement from bangkok bank is the best option and maybe I'll take everything else just to be sure!

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

I disagree, they specifically need something with a name & address on it .

No they do not, they need something to show that you are resident here, hence why they accept visas or residence permit, several folks have successfully shown an extension of stay.

29 minutes ago, Mattd said:

No they do not, they need something to show that you are resident here, hence why they accept visas or residence permit, several folks have successfully shown an extension of stay.

They will not accept a tourist visa as evidence , which is what the question was

18 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They will not accept a tourist visa as evidence , which is what the question was

Granted and the OP has found other evidence, my initial reply was a bit hasty, as I did not see the tourist visa part!

The requirement correctly quoted by the OP says "Visa or residence permit". A tourist visa (i.e. an endorsement issued by a Thai consulate or embassy, not an entry stamp) is a visa. I don't see why it shouldn't be as acceptable as, say, an OA visa. The UK Passport Office doesn't actually need to know your address in Thailand, they're not going to send your passport there. They just need evidence  that your current passport has been inspected by the Thai authorities and that you are staying in Thailand legally.

Edited by Eff1n2ret

• 5 weeks later...