Woman dies in burning Thai home trying to rescue trapped dogs

webfact

Woman dies in burning Thai home trying to rescue trapped dogs

18118782_1066009456837118_41527403009879

SUPHANBURI: -- A retired university lecturer died as she tried to save the lives of seven dogs trapped inside her burning house in Bang Plama district of Suphanburi province yesterday.

A neighbour told police investigator that Ms Fongsawat Wongphan, 77, was seen running out of her burning old teakwood house located by the Thachin river shouting for help yesterday morning.

As her neighbours rushed to her burning home to help her putting out the fire, they didn’t see the retired teacher, known as Khru Fongchan, a retired lecturer of Rajabhat University Phetburi Campus.

Firemen arrived in five water trucks but couldn’t stop the fire in time as the two teak wood Thai traditional houses which were connected to each other was quickly engulfed and burnt to the ground.

Charred remains of a body believed to be of her was found in the middle of the burnt house along with charred remains of dogs which were trapped behind wooden bars on the second floor.

Neighbours said they believed the elderly woman returned to her burning house to rescue her dogs after running out shouting fire and asking help from neighbours.

But she might first suffocated and fainted in the house engulfed with smokes.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/woman-dies-burning-thai-home-trying-rescue-trapped-dogs/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-24

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

What an amazing woman, to have such compassion for her dogs that she lost her own life trying to save them. A real dog lover. RIP.

Even if they were trapped behind wooden bars!!??

1 hour ago, Suzy said:

Even if they were trapped behind wooden bars  !!?? Not much love for animals there!!

I think we can safely say that there was a good reason why her dogs were contained within her house.  Edit - Every now and again I too have had to lock my dogs in the house/in a room for various reasons.

And its clear that she did love her dogs as she died trying to rescue them.

Edited by dick dasterdly

5 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

RIP Kind Lady, I would have done the same for my Dogs too. 

We will never know until put into the situation where we have to risk our life to protect our much-loved pets.

Hopefully, we'll never find out just how far our bravery extends.

Edited by dick dasterdly

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

We will never know until put into the situation where we have to risk our life to protect our much-loved pets.

With a bit of luck, we'll never find out.

my Dog was surrounded by 2 other Soi Dogs while I let her run around without the lease. When they started attacking her. I ran n kick (not proud of it) the other 2 dogs till they ran away tail tuck between their legs. 

Just last night my neighbours beagle was being attacked by the neighbourhood Black Thai Dog. Again I ran kick the black dog away cos my neighbour was swimming in the pool and he didnt know. 

My neighbour was a Chinese Uni Student, So I drove him n the beagle to the hospital last night for injection. 

14 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

my Dog was surrounded by 2 other Soi Dogs while I let her run around without the lease. When they started attacking her. I ran n kick (not proud of it) the other 2 dogs till they ran away tail tuck between their legs. 

Just last night my neighbours beagle was being attacked by the neighbourhood Black Thai Dog. Again I ran kick the black dog away cos my neighbour was swimming in the pool and he didnt know. 

My neighbour was a Chinese Uni Student, So I drove him n the beagle to the hospital last night for injection. 

Its irrelevant IMO.

I too have taken a bite from a dog to protect my dog.  It turned out to be a half-hearted bite (i.e. didn't break my skin), but I didn't know that at the time.

Similarly, I've put myself in-between dogs when fighting - holding them both back even though they were medium sized dogs and I was all alone.  Edit - and ended up badly bitten on one occasion in the process...

Not to mention a chip-pan fire one night (decades ago) when I went looking for my pets in the house, rather than doing the obvious thing - putting out the fire.....  (Fortunately, my husband managed to eventually do this - but the kitchen was mostly destroyed and my cats ran out of the house without any encouragement from me!.)

Nonetheless, whilst I hope that in a life threatening situation I'd act as this woman - its impossible to know.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Never understand people who have so many dogs.. and keep them locked up in cages or in rooms in the house.  But, each to their own. 

I have 2 dogs.. they are free to go where they want... except the bedrooms.  If there was a fire they would just run out of the house with me.

Moral.. don't keep animals in cages or behind bars.

18 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Its irrelevant IMO.

I too have taken a bite from a dog to protect my dog.  It turned out to be a half-hearted bite (i.e. didn't break my skin), but I didn't know that at the time.

Similarly, I've put myself in-between dogs when fighting - holding them both back even though they were medium sized dogs and I was all alone.  Edit - and ended up badly bitten on one occasion in the process...

Not to mention a chip-pan fire one night (decades ago) when I went looking for my pets in the house, rather than doing the obvious thing - putting out the fire.....  (Fortunately, my husband managed to eventually do this - but the kitchen was mostly destroyed and my cats ran out of the house without any encouragement from me!.)

Nonetheless, whilst I hope that in a life threatening situation I'd act as this woman - its impossible to know.

relevant or irrelevant, its your opinion.

I know myself and what i would do to protect my love ones. 

kudos to u for protecting your dog.