Getting an LA Visa for a Cambodian-American

Hi everyone. I'm a Cambodian-American, although I look much more farang than Khmer. I am currently married to my Thai wife and living in Thailand on an extension of stay based on marriage.  I would like to change to an LA visa so that I can get access to government health services. My wife would hire me personally as her maid and/or gardener.

My question is, what are the requirements for a Thai national getting a quota from the Labor Office? Someone told me you had to show income tax payments of 50,000 baht per year. Is this correct? If not, are there any restrictions on getting a quota?

Is the fact that I don't look Khmer and don't really speak Khmer going to be a problem for this process? I have a Cambodian passport and have been using it for the past 2 years with my marriage visa. I also have a yellow book that lists my nationality as Khmer.

Has anyone ever been through this process before who might be able to guide me? Our house is in Pathumthani, so we would be using that labor and immigration office.

Thanks.

1. What do you mean with LA visa?

2. A Thai national does not have to get a "quota from the labor office"

3. Only the nationality you have chosen for your dealings with Thai immigration counts, not your physical appearance.

Farangs who do not qualify for a Non-O visa and have legal employment get a "B" Visa and work-permit with this.   Those who are married to a Thai can get a work-permit with a Non-O based on marriage.   Staying on your Non-O based on marriage means your permission-to-stay is not tied to your employment.

Cambodians can get work-permits through a different system than Farangs, so perhaps that is what you mean by "LA Visa" ?   I am not sure how their work-permits connect to visas.

I think the OP is referring to him being Cambodian and therefore he can possibly get a special work pass for migrant workers from the neighbouring countries, I do not know a huge amount about this, however, in a past life and my ex. wife and I did employ a Burmese maid that we had the proper passes for and all was done at the Chonburi labour department, was quite easy apparently, certainly don't recall any minimum salary etc.

Not sure exactly what is needed for you to be employed under the migrant workers scheme. I assume you understand that it is primarily for laborers. That is what the L in non-la visa means.

Here is a application form I found on the department of employment website for importing Cambodian workers that will give you a little more info. https://www.doe.go.th/prd/assets/upload/files/alien_en/eabca3bb93c2de01db5d27f0969b2e01.pdf

Your wife may be able to find more info on the website in Thai. https://www.doe.go.th/prd/main