Beg-packing: Brit’s GoFundMe panned for asking netizens to fund Southeast Asia travels

webfact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A troll post has been removed also replies, don't like the topic then please move on and do not read it but do not leave your vitriol on here for others to read, thank you

22 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Arrest him for soliciting, and confiscate any money he has received. 

At the very least, the British Revenue (or the Tax Authorities in the home country) should tax the receipts as either income or gifts.

THx for that video Jollyhangmon. 

I like the way Simon Sinek packaged his summary re millennials. Four aspects were identifed characterising millennials. Parenting, technology, impatience and environment. He nicely teases these out, however points two and three intersect and essentially create the third, their environment. He does underestimate some achievements but i take his argument as presented.

I would cut to the chase and and label their problem largely created and served by instantaneous gratification. Technology. Social media.  The fact that these gofundme type appeals for holidays and become normalised disgusts me, but I like many here, are not wholly immersed in their world and these pride striping appeals are now normalised. It is okay to ask for a hand out. Values have seismically shifted and deem to be returning any time soon.

Having to work and save for a holiday or car or a house was something we all did. THe millenials just do not see the need and worse cannot appreciate the feeling and pride in having done so. Most of these kids have never changed a tire on a car and these small pragmatics skills are leaving them undereducated.

Sinek's point re phones [ or connectedness] is good too. The dopamine hit is a real management issue going forward. Kids are unable to cope without them in proximity. Serious anxiety levels become elevated. But worse than that, they cannot read a map, our friend here Jacob Stroner would not be able or WANT TO travel Europe with a guide book as we did, use coin operated telephones or acquire a spattering of enough learnt language to cross continents with traveler's cheques.

Millennials do not have the patience, lateral thinking, gifted demeanor and unfortunately, now,  the opportunity to practice these little things which are larger than they appreciate.

2 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

You would have to be a real sucker to give this

guy a penny.

Get a job, work hard and stop begging and

scaming people.   Mentality of those from

a Welfare Country.

You would. So unless you are one, you are neither likely, nor compelled, to contribute. Hence, hardly a scam, nor, technically, begging.

And I doubt 65m people from the same country have a similar mentality. 

12 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

You would. So unless you are one, you are neither likely, nor compelled, to contribute. Hence, hardly a scam, nor, technically, begging.

And I doubt 65m people from the same country have a similar mentality. 

I would up the ante (on only 65M people), with usually crap like this going viral -> people donating a buck or two just for the cheekiness of such a proposition. The upside being nobody suffers a loss, and downside then again encouraging more of such behaviour.

EDIT: there was one band recently that announced it would not produce any more music, if didn't get 150 000€, hoping for 900 000€, the first 72 hours had brought in 350 000€ just for the heck of it - genious when you're the first to try :D 

Edited by jabis

He should have posted a fake photo of a gorgeous chick, and asked for sofas to sleep on during his her travels.    He'd already be on a plane by now...  Probably funded largely by the very guys dissing him here, waiting on a guest who will never show. 

I'm not a great admirer of the guy for this feeble effort.  But a lot of guys here in Thailand got here using much more despicable fund raising efforts.  At least he wasn't cheating anyone.

I'm just curious about how much funding he did get.

39 minutes ago, optad said:

THx for that video Jollyhangmon. 

I like the way Simon Sinek packaged his summary re millennials. Four aspects were identifed characterising millennials. Parenting, technology, impatience and environment. He nicely teases these out, however points two and three intersect and essentially create the third, their environment. He does underestimate some achievements but i take his argument as presented.

I would cut to the chase and and label their problem largely created and served by instantaneous gratification. Technology. Social media.  The fact that these gofundme type appeals for holidays and become normalised disgusts me, but I like many here, are not wholly immersed in their world and these pride striping appeals are now normalised. It is okay to ask for a hand out. Values have seismically shifted and deem to be returning any time soon.

Having to work and save for a holiday or car or a house was something we all did. THe millenials just do not see the need and worse cannot appreciate the feeling and pride in having done so. Most of these kids have never changed a tire on a car and these small pragmatics skills are leaving them undereducated.

Sinek's point re phones [ or connectedness] is good too. The dopamine hit is a real management issue going forward. Kids are unable to cope without them in proximity. Serious anxiety levels become elevated. But worse than that, they cannot read a map, our friend here Jacob Stroner would not be able or WANT TO travel Europe with a guide book as we did, use coin operated telephones or acquire a spattering of enough learnt language to cross continents with traveler's cheques.

Millennials do not have the patience, lateral thinking, gifted demeanor and unfortunately, now,  the opportunity to practice these little things which are larger than they appreciate.

You're very welcome.

Yes, Sinek sure has some points, of course not to be generalized too much, as mentioned i came across some decent fellas - even chicks as well - from Belgium, France, Venezuela and the States for example recently who used that 'workaway'-thing.

My landlady is hosting, not so much because her needing help around house or garden but because she likes to meet 'different' folks ... that's how i got aware of that webpage in the first place.

Exactly, 'patience' is the word here and 'saving up' for whatever as you said. Too easy nowadays to 'borrow' from banks as well with defaulting seemingly a normal thing.

Then same banks tumble and 'everybody' has to bail them out again & again - too big to fail? My behind! 

27 minutes ago, impulse said:

He should have posted a fake photo of a gorgeous chick, and asked for sofas to sleep on during his her travels.    He'd already be on a plane by now...  Probably funded largely by the very guys dissing him here, waiting on a guest who will never show. 

I'm not a great admirer of the guy for this feeble effort.  But a lot of guys here in Thailand got here using much more despicable fund raising efforts.  At least he wasn't cheating anyone.

I'm just curious about how much funding he did get.

I guess in the OP with 362 quid you can already be in the kingdom, though I like your train of thought - hit 'em where it hurts 555

Go Fund me is a website where everyone can create a page to fund his desires, whatever they may be.

Nobody is forced to log in to the page, nor to send any funds to a project they don't agree with, so everyone who whines about it is just that.

A whiner, or may be just jealous that he didn't come up with the idea.

Here's the thing. He figures it won't hurt to ask. Incredibly, some people will give him money. There's a fool born every minute.

Our generation would never think of such a stupid thing because we knew it wouldn't work. This guy is not even embarrassed to ask and he will most probably get some funding. No pride but he doesn't care about that apparently.

Fair play to the lad. This sort of funding usually involves an element of charity but this guy is being honest. I won't give him a penny, but plenty will and if he creates enjoyable blogs along the way, then there is some return on investments.

15 minutes ago, champers said:

Fair play to the lad. This sort of funding usually involves an element of charity but this guy is being honest. I won't give him a penny, but plenty will and if he creates enjoyable blogs along the way, then there is some return on investments.

I Seriously doubt he has the ability to create anything or he would already be doing it and earning money

Dear Jacob , sorry to hear of your situation , if you would please send me $100 US to my account in order to verify your banking details i will certainly  be able to help you out with a substantial contribution towards your next trip

56 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Here's the thing. He figures it won't hurt to ask. Incredibly, some people will give him money. There's a fool born every minute.

Our generation would never think of such a stupid thing because we knew it wouldn't work. This guy is not even embarrassed to ask and he will most probably get some funding. No pride but he doesn't care about that apparently.

You deserve a double like sorry.