Cabinet endorses broad spying powers for Thai police

webfact

44 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

I also choose to live in Thailand and i reserve the right to have my own opinion on the law and government of Thailand, I will not push my opinions on the Thai people but i am aware through speaking with Thai Nationals that the approval rate for the Junta is not the 96% that was once claimed although it may be the rate in Bangkok and among the elite

Just go with the flow, you wont be lampooned here for having your own opinions either as long as you don't get on a soap box and express them in Thai. I have found the police in my neck of the woods,Isaan, to be generally polite and with a sense of humour. There are compensations for living here compared to the UK ( i think that not living in the UK is a plus point in its self ) Our written or spoken communications here in Thailand in English,German,French,Spanish etc. will be of little interest to the authorities and if you can speak Thai and have ever listened in to a Thai telephone conversation then i would say that they are as interesting as ducks bum to anybody.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Actually, the price of freedom is ALWAYS worth paying. Only those who've already lost it have been successfully indoctrinated to believe otherwise. Darwin got it right... Sad.

I would bet that if corpses could speak there would be a lot in Normandy and elsewhere who would disagree.

Big brother!

The All Seeing Eye!

Disgusting!

Thailand. The land of the free? I think not!

What is it with these power crazy governments, located in various parts of the world, hell bent on making peoples short existence, a misery?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

25 minutes ago, pentap said:

Big brother!

The All Seeing Eye!

Disgusting!

Thailand. The land of the free? I think not!

What is it with these power crazy governments, located in various parts of the world, hell bent on making peoples short existence, a misery?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

That's what U get when U get a Junta and worst is to come,  err after the elections............................

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

Just live there then, or accept the rules in another country of your choice. Nobody terlls you to live in Thailand.

Yes, it goes without saying that as a foreigner one has to accept the local rules.  'Not much insight there  But what's that got to do with his expressing an opinion about those rules here on TV?  Nobody tells you to read it; just go read another topic of your choice ...   

On 4/26/2017 at 3:56 PM, Eligius said:

Moral and physical courage is not an attribute I see in abundance here. So - people get the 'government' they deserve. Sad - but, I am afraid, ultimately true. In the final analysis, a 'government' which is allowed to persist for growing numbers of years reflects the soul of the people who supinely permit such continuance. 

It's wrong to perpetuate the sufferings of oppressed peoples by putting the boot in while they're already suffering enough as a result of decades (or centuries) of oppression. I note people used to make similar comments about Jews in Europe, especially during WW2. The Jews were also condemned when they tried to establish a nation for themselves in Palestine. Other races have suffered similar wholesale casual  racial denigration because they were victims of ruthless, greedy and cruel ruling cliques. Take Greece, downtrodden exploited and generally abused under Turkish Islamic rule for 4 centuries. Rich Europeans in the 1800s often included stopovers in Greece in their "grand tours" just to marvel at the degraded, degenerate lives of Greeks.. Descriptions similar to these comments (and the more salacious comments common on TVF about Thai morality, character etc) represented the standard european opinion of the race.. Greeks had very low status and reputation around the world. Lord Byron (author, poet and highly influential thinker etc) took up the plight of these oppressed people. His evocations of ancient Greece and the gifts (in philosophy, democracy, sciences etc) the same people gave the world finally prompted  England to aid and abet Greek nationalists who wanted their country - and freedom - back. An English navy squadron destroyed the Turkish Navy and helped remove Greece from oppression. International diplomcy enabled the people to overcome  their lowly plight and gain independence from their oppressors.

Often, privileged people have never had to walk in the same shoes as people who've had to live their lives in misery and silence, forced to accept lives similar to slavery with no prospect of relief from internal forces well-practiced in brutal reprisals and use of force to maintain a system convenient only for the rich and powerful.

Far be it from me to draw comparisons with Thailand, but I don't think smug arrogance from outsiders who might not understand the dynamics of Thai society and history, the forces that might have contributed to the psyche of the nation, will contribute much to creating "happiness" in Thailand.The vast majority of the Thai population has not had much incentive or encouragement to make better live for themselves for generations. Despair would seem, to me, a dominant element of most people's lives here, although it's rarely expressed openly or publicly as a matter of survival. It's something visitors from western liberal democracies have not had to experience for generations. A comparatively easy life often dims a person's ability to understand the effects of relentless oppression over generations.

Again. I stress I'm talking in general terms, not specifically about Thailand today, but countless regimes of the greedy and ruthless have harmed societies in our world's history. But given hope of genuine freedom and opportunities to make better lives for themselves and their families, most people soon show their true qualities.

Police states rarely enjoy long life despite the best efforts of their supporters.

Yes, my friend. And still the Thais do nothing about it. More important to watch comedy shows with bells, gongs, hoots and whistles, or the latest appallingly acted soap opera.

There comes a point where, with the heaviest heart, one has to speak of national cowardice. Some nations in this world fought and sacrificed their blood in millions for liberty over the centuries. 

Moral and physical courage is not an attribute I see in abundance here. So - people get the 'government' they deserve. Sad - but, I am afraid, ultimately true. In the final analysis, a 'government' which is allowed to persist for growing numbers of years reflects the soul of the people who supinely permit such continuance. 

Tinges  of the  " Homeland  Security Bill"? But  just a  tinge ! :smile:

20 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Actually, the price of freedom is ALWAYS worth paying. Only those who've already lost it have been successfully indoctrinated to believe otherwise. Darwin got it right... Sad.

So if it kicks off big time in Thailand you will be helping out in the fight for freedom - or are you just a keyboard warrior ?

On 2017-04-29 at 0:05 PM, hawker9000 said:

Yes, it goes without saying that as a foreigner one has to accept the local rules.  'Not much insight there  But what's that got to do with his expressing an opinion about those rules here on TV?  Nobody tells you to read it; just go read another topic of your choice ...   

It has to do with that all most of the people here need to do is complain about everything. If it is so bad, why the heck live miserable and complaining all the time. Just shut the big hole and be happy. If not leave! Would actually be nice if this forum started to be  more than 10-15 percent positive about Thailand. So many posters that live here and so much complaining. Get over yourselfs.

Yes, my friend. And still the Thais do nothing about it. More important to watch comedy shows with bells, gongs, hoots and whistles, or the latest appallingly acted soap opera.

There comes a point where, with the heaviest heart, one has to speak of national cowardice. Some nations in this world fought and sacrificed their blood in millions for liberty over the centuries. 

Well, America voted in Trump,what can one say. Spilling your blood for liberty is a mugs game, you only get the liberty that the powerful will allow you, it's all wheels and circles, parliaments here, votes there, the 1% pull the strings, we are just the silly wabbits who think we can make a difference. The establishment is older than democracy and far more powerful.

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Well, America voted in Trump,what can one say. Spilling your blood for liberty is a mugs game, you only get the liberty that the powerful will allow you, it's all wheels and circles, parliaments here, votes there, the 1% pull the strings, we are just the silly wabbits who think we can make a difference. The establishment is older than democracy and far more powerful.

Very true  - the armchair warrior has run away it would seem .....

On 29/04/2017 at 1:38 PM, sandemara said:

It's wrong to perpetuate the sufferings of oppressed peoples by putting the boot in while they're already suffering enough as a result of decades (or centuries) of oppression. I note people used to make similar comments about Jews in Europe, especially during WW2. The Jews were also condemned when they tried to establish a nation for themselves in Palestine. Other races have suffered similar wholesale casual  racial denigration because they were victims of ruthless, greedy and cruel ruling cliques. Take Greece, downtrodden exploited and generally abused under Turkish Islamic rule for 4 centuries. Rich Europeans in the 1800s often included stopovers in Greece in their "grand tours" just to marvel at the degraded, degenerate lives of Greeks.. Descriptions similar to these comments (and the more salacious comments common on TVF about Thai morality, character etc) represented the standard european opinion of the race.. Greeks had very low status and reputation around the world. Lord Byron (author, poet and highly influential thinker etc) took up the plight of these oppressed people. His evocations of ancient Greece and the gifts (in philosophy, democracy, sciences etc) the same people gave the world finally prompted  England to aid and abet Greek nationalists who wanted their country - and freedom - back. An English navy squadron destroyed the Turkish Navy and helped remove Greece from oppression. International diplomcy enabled the people to overcome  their lowly plight and gain independence from their oppressors.

Often, privileged people have never had to walk in the same shoes as people who've had to live their lives in misery and silence, forced to accept lives similar to slavery with no prospect of relief from internal forces well-practiced in brutal reprisals and use of force to maintain a system convenient only for the rich and powerful.

Far be it from me to draw comparisons with Thailand, but I don't think smug arrogance from outsiders who might not understand the dynamics of Thai society and history, the forces that might have contributed to the psyche of the nation, will contribute much to creating "happiness" in Thailand.The vast majority of the Thai population has not had much incentive or encouragement to make better live for themselves for generations. Despair would seem, to me, a dominant element of most people's lives here, although it's rarely expressed openly or publicly as a matter of survival. It's something visitors from western liberal democracies have not had to experience for generations. A comparatively easy life often dims a person's ability to understand the effects of relentless oppression over generations.

Again. I stress I'm talking in general terms, not specifically about Thailand today, but countless regimes of the greedy and ruthless have harmed societies in our world's history. But given hope of genuine freedom and opportunities to make better lives for themselves and their families, most people soon show their true qualities.

Police states rarely enjoy long life despite the best efforts of their supporters.

And sadly they no longer have any plaster saints to believe in any more. Just .....nothing...

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/26/2017 at 9:37 PM, rkidlad said:

Okay, we're all moving backwards, except I'm not. As long as in my country I have freedom to speak and criticize, I know I'm not moving backwards.

As a progressive, I know exactly what's going on. The joys of looking to the future as opposed to holding onto the past. 

Im so glad that you feel so free but if you actually start exercising your freedoms vigorously you may experience unwelcome attention from authorities you never knew existed.

Dream on. If you are truly free in your country it must be an economically inconsequential place.  Where there is wealth there is state control.

51 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Im so glad that you feel so free but if you actually start exercising your freedoms vigorously you may experience unwelcome attention from authorities you never knew existed.

Dream on. If you are truly free in your country it must be an economically inconsequential place.  Where there is wealth there is state control.

It's all relative. 

Working from home and online certainly keeps me ironically 'suquestered'.