North Korea test-fires ballistic missile in defiance of world pressure

rooster59

North Korea test-fires ballistic missile in defiance of world pressure

By Jack Kim and Michelle Nichols

640x640.jpg

North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un watches a military drill marking the 85th anniversary of the establishment of the Korean People's Army (KPA) in this handout photo by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) made available on April 26, 2017. KCNA/Handout via REUTERS

SEOUL/UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - North Korea unsuccessfully test-fired a ballistic missile on Saturday from a region north of its capital, Pyongyang, South Korea's military said, defying intense pressure from the United States and the reclusive state's main ally, China.

The test came as U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson warned the United Nations Security Council that failure to curb North Korea's nuclear and ballistic missile programs could lead to 'catastrophic consequences'.

U.S. and South Korean officials said the test appeared to have failed, in what would be a fourth successive unsuccessful missile test since March.

U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the missile was probably a medium-range missile known as a KN-17 and appears to have broken up within minutes of taking off.

Tension had spiked on the Korean peninsula over concerns the North may conduct the test-launch of a long-range missile or its sixth nuclear test around the time of the April 15 anniversary of its state founder's birth or the day marking the founding of its military earlier this week.

The timing of the latest launch suggests it was calculated to send a certain message as Pyongyang remains under intense attention of world powers, said Kim Dong-yub, an expert at Kyungnam University's Institute of Far Eastern Studies in Seoul.

“It was planned at a complicated timing around the end of the South Korea-U.S. joint military drills, the United States talking about military options and the announcement of North Korea policies and the Security Council meeting,” Kim said.

South Korean and U.S. forces have been conducting annual military drills since the start of March that conclude at the end of April.

In a show of force, the United States is sending the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier group to waters off the Korean peninsula, where it will join the USS Michigan, a nuclear submarine that docked in South Korea on Tuesday.

U.S. President Donald Trump told Reuters in an interview on Thursday a "major, major conflict" with North Korea was possible over its nuclear and ballistic missile programs.

Trump praised Chinese leader Xi Jinping for "trying very hard" to rein in Pyongyang.

But both China and Russia rebuked Washington's threat of military force at a meeting of the U.N. Security Council on the matter on Friday.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi told the 15-member council it was not only up to China to solve the North Korean problem.

"The key to solving the nuclear issue on the peninsula does not lie in the hands of the Chinese side," Wang told the council in blunt remarks that Tillerson later rebuffed.

The U.N. Security Council is likely to start discussing a statement to condemn the missile launch, said diplomats, adding that it was unlikely to be issued on Friday. The Security Council traditionally condemns all missile launches by Pyongyang.

"It could have happened today exactly because we had the meeting," Italian U.N. Ambassador Sebastiano Cardi, chair of the Security Council's North Korean sanctions committee, told reporters when hearing of the test. "It's illegal, it should not be done, it's another provocative action by North Korea.”

Neighbouring Japan said the "unacceptable" launch clearly violated U.N. resolutions and said it had lodged a strong protest with North Korea.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-29

Perhaps this is propaganda against the belaugured   North Koreans?

I see  some incredible investment opportunities. Tourist potential as well.

Cheap labour, obedient populace, minimal  domestic crime.Friendly people too.

Tosh to the sanctions. Russia, China, India and the arab world have been taking advantage of this market for too long. This farang wants in.

25 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Look out Kim Jun,  US Carlson is on it's way ....   you are making everyone angry.  :post-4641-1156693976:

Huh? That's a US naval vessel. It's hardly everyone, especially the enablers/supporters.

If everyone is so angry, why do some  countries keep doing business with the North Koreans, including Thailand which is the 4th largest source of imports for North Korea.  

We all know China is a major trading partner, but so called democracies India and the Philippines are profiting by selling goods to North Korea. Pakistan, and Burkino Faso are buying North Korean products.

The message that this latest test sent to the world was that North Korea's missiles are highly unreliable.

I wonder what the consequences are for the people building them when they fail. Kim is not the forgiving type.

Edited by darksidedog

5 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

The message that this latest test sent to the world was that North Korea's missiles are highly unreliable.

I wonder what the consequences are for the people building them when they fail. Kim is not the forgiving type.

I think by now that if he were truly as unforgiving as some people like to believe, the program would be devoid of workers.

The only thing that has changed recently in the North Korean threat is Donald Trump's schoolyard taunting and baiting his mentally challenged and equally insecure 'mini-me' counterpart. The biggest threat in this and other flashpoints is Trump's historic low approval #s and how he chooses to distract from this. Trump got an approval bump after a couple 'yippee ki yay' test-distractions in the desert but we're now approaching his 100 days report-card and unfortunately more distractions and a bigger bump may be required.

Even FOX News latest poll shows just 45% approval - BAD!
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html#polls

Thus, another Trump-bump may be in/on order.

To be fair, why should they stop building weapons. Would the UK. America or Russia stop building weapons if China told them to. In a democratic world every country is responsible for their own actions. This will never be a war. If America fire a single bullet, South Korea will get pummeled before America were able to win. Trumps bluff has been called and he has lost. Send your boats home. And before I am accused of being a human rights wannabee. I am not. I just don't see how this could be resolved without a lot of  casualties on both sides. If they really want Gangnam gone, they need to send in Jason Bourne.   

42 minutes ago, sujoop said:

The only thing that has changed recently in the North Korean threat is Donald Trump's schoolyard taunting and baiting his mentally challenged and equally insecure 'mini-me' counterpart. The biggest threat in this and other flashpoints is Trump's historic low approval #s and how he chooses to distract from this. Trump got an approval bump after a couple 'yippee ki yay' test-distractions in the desert but we're now approaching his 100 days report-card and unfortunately more distractions and a bigger bump may be required.

Even FOX News latest poll shows just 45% approval - BAD!
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html#polls

Thus, another Trump-bump may be in/on order.

UPDATE:  The President Of The United States has just now actually tweeted out to the world (ala a Sally Fields 'you really like me' moment) courtesy FOX News Lou Dobbs... so that should be head down on a happy POTUS pillow, for now::

Phew! Yes, thanks Lou.

Nuclear poker continues and will not end until North Korea is convinced that America will never invade if it ends its nuclear program. The only way this can happen is for China to guarantee the existence of the North and America either gives up its yearly training with the South and repositions its troops. A formal signing of a peace treaty would also be in order.

The Chinese are putting  pressure on the North by rejecting coal shipments and holding back oil. China can bring the North to its knees economically but it won't

A war would be catastrophic and even Trump knows that. There are estimates of 1-3 million dead- the destruction of Seoul and missile attacks on Japan.

Both sides have to give and both sides have to talk to each other.  The US should start to de-escalate by sending the USS Carl Vinson back to Japan and wait for reciprocity from the North. If they refuse to reciprocate- the ship comes back with a deployment of B-2 bombers and about 20K  US Forces.

North Korea cannot win in the end but they can cause massive casualties.

It might make sense to the US to take military action against N Korea sooner rather than later, i.e. before imperfections with missile launches are corrected. THAAD is almost ready to go and DJT is getting impatient.

3 hours ago, harada said:

It looks as though the only people in danger from these missiles are those living within 20km radius of the launch site, from falling debris.

...like a bunch of unruly kids on cracker night.

4 hours ago, sujoop said:

UPDATE:  The President Of The United States has just now actually tweeted out to the world (ala a Sally Fields 'you really like me' moment) courtesy FOX News Lou Dobbs... so that should be head down on a happy POTUS pillow, for now::

Phew! Yes, thanks Lou.

:cheesy: ... good one.

Delusional suckers ... 

Let's try a different angle.  North Korea has for years been developing it nuclear capabilities and having a dig at the USA at different times.  Russia has a vast nuclear armament and makes the odd veiled threat to the USA now and again.  Now you could argue that Kim is nuts and Putin isn't but when push comes to shove who is the most dangerous and would inflict the most damage?  Would Trump threaten Russia the same way that he is threatening NK?

Let's try another different view.  With Obama and Bush before him sabres were rattled a bit with NK but it was always without any real threat of military action.  A good argument for Kim to not push ahead with his nuclear ambitions because he was never under any real threat.  Now with the maniac Trump chomping at the bit to trigger military action against him there is certainly a need to strengthen his military capabilities.

I know this is all pie in the sky and my post will be torn to threads but it is still a view.  Finally as it has been said before North Korea having nuclear capabilities doesn't mean that they would use them against anyone.  Pakistan is hardly stable but there seems to be no problem with them having the capabilities.

8 hours ago, champers said:

It might make sense to the US to take military action against N Korea sooner rather than later, i.e. before imperfections with missile launches are corrected. THAAD is almost ready to go and DJT is getting impatient.

'Almost ready' won't bring down a missile :wink: And to hit S Korea one of Kim Jong's short range ones would do. The best strategy would be to make sure the US (and S Korean) military are 100% ready for what will ensue (which means Donald may choose to launch tomorrow just as a surprise).

But Donald is only after ratings, so he will milk this. Did anyone read the AP interview the other day when he was bragging about how his ratings on a particular program were the highest since 9/11  :omfg:

These constant missile malfunctions. The Nth has already successfully tested short, medium and medium plus missiles. Now they all fail?  Or maybe double bluff - you think we have faulty missiles but just see what happens when we launch a real one with a warhead at Okinawa, Guam or US bases  in Sth Korea. 

Ahh, I am starting to think crazy thoughts. Maybe the Don is a steadfast, sane man with a really good memory and really short fingers.

12 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

These constant missile malfunctions. The Nth has already successfully tested short, medium and medium plus missiles. Now they all fail?  Or maybe double bluff - you think we have faulty missiles but just see what happens when we launch a real one with a warhead at Okinawa, Guam or US bases  in Sth Korea. 

Ahh, I am starting to think crazy thoughts. Maybe the Don is a steadfast, sane man with a really good memory and really short fingers.

This last missile apparently exploded at an altitude of 44 miles. Sorry to say, but I wouldn't call that a failed test, more likely a successful warhead separation and detonation test.

14 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

But truly, how do we (the general public)  really know when a missile is launched whether successfully or not. Particular Governments have cried Wolf to long to often, what can we believe these days?

9 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

This last missile apparently exploded at an altitude of 44 miles. Sorry to say, but I wouldn't call that a failed test, more likely a successful warhead separation and detonation test.

Unfortunately, I suspect you are correct. I hope some agency thinks along similar lines.