Best Way To Hang A Nail

Vespa

I have knocked chunks of concrete out of my wall trying to do something as simple as hang a nail for a picture.

Have drilled using a concrete bit and often still end up with a nice divet where a neat hole should be.

What is the cleanest way ?

Edited by Vespa

I tried this in my house, walls are like steel, so hard, the only way i achived this was to plug and use a screw, but the drills kept getting red hot and blunt, so last time i came to thailand used an SDS HAMMER DRILL, went in the wall like butter, no problem, also to stop the wall chipping i put a load of masking tape where i was going to drill, also that made a starting point for the drill.

Use a hammer drill and concrete bit. The small size with plastic plugs from supermarket works fine. The hammer drill is well worth the price and they are not that expensive anyhow and drill so fast bits don't get hot. Have never had to tape wall using this - I first use non hammer to make a start hole and once big enough to stop lateral movement switch to hammer drill. Have done many, many, many over the years.

As for setting concrete nails agree the wife is better than me. Have used Ram-set and even 22 caliber explosive charge units in distant past but am firm believer in hole/plug/screw these days.

I have knocked chunks of concrete out of my wall trying to do something as simple as hang a nail for a picture.

Have drilled using a concrete bit and often still end up with a nice divet where a neat hole should be.

Vespa.."How do You Hang a Nail"??

I know they hung some monkeys in Hartlypool a long time ago..

I have no idea what that means.

Do you use concrete nails?

Sure have , major chunks taken out with these

This will sound pathetic, but I get my wife to do it - she is much better at putting the concrete nails in the walls than I am and never takes out chunks.

Some Mothers do have em..Hello Frank..

:o:D

That's a Quacker, duckie!

The serious advice you have received above is spot on, but just to be a thorn in your side I have never heard the term "hang nail" used in this respect, correct me if I am wrong but a hang nail is a broken finger nail? and you hang a picture from a nail in your wall.

This is the Aussie understanding of the phrase anyway.

Best of luck with all...

I also have never heard that term used for a picture hanger but assumed it was UK or Oz English usage. The American meaning is "the strip of skin that separates from the side of the cuticle" as mentioned on WebMD and is the only meaning I have ever heard for it.

Not sure if it's available in LOS but there's some pretty good adhesive tape (the type with glue on both sides) on the market nowadays. No need to drill anything.

In the past the quality was rather poor and things started falling from the wall at the most unexpected moments :o but the quality has improved so you can't go wrong really.

The serious advice you have received above is spot on, but just to be a thorn in your side I have never heard the term "hang nail" used in this respect, correct me if I am wrong but a hang nail is a broken finger nail? and you hang a picture from a nail in your wall.

This is the Aussie understanding of the phrase anyway.

Best of luck with all...

Yes. The English understanding as well.

Probably Scots, Welsh and Cornish as well but not sure about the Irish.

I know they once hung a monkey in Hartlepool before, i have never heard of Hartlypool though.

That´s right, mate.......we once hung a monkey for pretending to be a French spy...the bastard....... and Hartlepool (Hert-er-pol = Stag in the pool........see our city emblem) is now the in-place to live (even though I left 33 years ago, because I couldn´t stand the place..... :D )...........and...returning to the topic..... :D ..we nail all savverners who mock our football team....... :o

An ex-Hartlepudlian

I know they once hung a monkey in Hartlepool before, i have never heard of Hartlypool though.

That´s right, mate.......we once hung a monkey for pretending to be a French spy...the bastard....... and Hartlepool (Hert-er-pol = Stag in the pool........see our city emblem) is now the in-place to live (even though I left 33 years ago, because I couldn´t stand the place..... :D )...........and...returning to the topic..... :D ..we nail all savverners who mock our football team....... :o

An ex-Hartlepudlian

You got some pretty good advice now for my 2 cents there is a product called tapcon screws they screw in to block and brick but you must drill a hole for them they will sell you the correct carbide bit for drilling the screw you choose now take the gentleman advice and buy your self a hammer drill which does both drill and hammers they are about 2000 baht for a cheap handy man model or get your self a good one for around 4000 baht also you can use the plastic plugs there are many options out there you just have to inquire bring your Tg/f with you

I always use the plastic plug with a screw.

Nowadays I find that double sided adhesive tape is better for avoiding that initial cracking. With a bit of scrap paper over it, and rubbed in firmly, it sticks to the wall better than masking tape.

I start with a small bit and then use a larger one.

I don't have a hammer drill, so I have to accept that the final hole may well be bigger than the last drill bit that I use. Therefore my last bit is undersized, but the hole is easily reamed out to bring it up to size if necessary.

If, for some reason, I really needed a nail in the wall, I would use my method to make a good big hole, plug it with wood, and nail into that.

I am interested in the fact that some wives are better at dealing with the wall than their (presumably Western) husbands.

Could it be that they have a better affinity with Thai walls, having been brought up with them, and we have come to them too late in life?

There are some things like this where my wife can do a better job than me. When I looked into why it was, I found that she had no theory, but had learnt by copying what her father did and developed an instinctive understanding of the material she was looking at.

Have you ever seen an old countryman weigh up a task? The old Welsh farming folk that I knew (and I suppose they would be called 'peasants' here, but some of them had land and flocks worth well over the million quid) would take their time. If they wanted to split a rock, they would look at it and sometimes run their hands over it. Then they would apply the hammer and chisel judiciously.

When I did Supply/Substitute teaching in Bangkok, I remember a day at NIST, when I clicked to do Workshop Technology. Those kids went at a bit of metal with a hacksaw as if it was a battle between them and terrorists. I spoke to the whole class about 'being civilised and respecting the tool and the material', and 'if it doesn't sound right, you are not doing it right'. They were quite interested to hear from a bald-headed old coot who was nearly seventy, that they were only getting away with their actions because metals such as the steel of hacksaw blades is immensely better nowadays than the brittle stuff of yore, when hacksaw blades snapped at the slightest ill-treatment.

I had a 'teacher's moment of truth' later. The lady whose class it was, but was on a course that day, popped in for a while. One of the beautifully-mannered little barstewards from Embassy Row appealed to her for help about sawing his metal, and she attacked it and the saw made a most protesting noise. As she left, there was a bit of sniggering.

So I reamed that little barsteward out good and proper. He got a new one--- well drilled and reamed.

The whole class heard me tell him that he had known full well what would happen, and was just a malicious little swine. (The great thing about Supply/Substitute is that it doesn't matter even if the parent is an Ambassador--the school has the excuse that you weren't a permanent member of staff (or, as the kids would say, not a PROPER teacher!))

I told them that no Craft, Design and Technology teacher is going to know all the crafts. It used to take a five-year apprenticeship to learn any one of them. If it had been Textiles, I would have made a ham-fisted job of just threading a needle.

I wrote "Chocolate Starfish" against his name on my list of attendees to remind me in end-of-the-day handover. One of the girls, who said she was thinking of doing a BEd in CDT noticed it, and asked me what it meant. What a sheltered upbringing such kids have that they don't know how a teacher can call a kid an Rsole, and get away with it!