Whats the safest frying pan to use in the LOS?

ghworker2010

Still using Wok's I bought 30 years ago,think they were 80 THB,

had to make new wooden handles for them over time,they are

made of steel,like them as the bottom is flat,use one as a chip pan.

regards Worgeordie

I prefer cast-iron pans, dutch/camp ovens etc but now only buy the cheap ones. You could pick up great variety types in the old army disposal  or camping stores.  My first experiment with cast iron was buying a Le Creuset set (fancy, French, v/expensive) 20-30 years ago. They worked fine, but I dropped one frypan while washing up about a month afterward. I didn't notice till the next time  I tried to use it that it had a fine crack across half the pan base - totally useless. The cheap ones also crack easily if you don't take care with handling, but the loss  is not as  annoying. If treated with oil before first use, the cheapies work just as well, develop a nice non-stick sheen. I wouldn't bother with anything else. 

8 hours ago, bsdthai said:

A fry pan for frying? If your worried about cancer dont fry anything!

Yeah right, beer can give you cancer of the throat so can going down on a woman, don't eat red meat, lay of the carbs,don't drink tea too hot, don't live anywhere near a road and always listen to 'experts'. Anyone know where you can buy safe brooms.

On 4/29/2017 at 6:59 AM, Toshiba66 said:

Ceramic is now supposed to be best I'm told. Not sure about the risk of cancer bit. Probably got more risk of cancer from the dishwashing liquid used to clean them with.

I prefer the  higher quality ceramic pan, where it is baked on thick as it  was intended. There are many knockoffs which are basically a spray coating and then heating treatment. As bad as the teflon pans. The coat is too thin and easily chips and breaks off. The quality ceramics are a bit expensive, but work.

However, I still have a cast iron pan that I season from time to time. It is indestructible and the iron filings that are shedded, are a low cost health supplement. (Corn flakes and other prepared cereals add their iron in a similar manner, so don't scoff.)

BTW, teflon was safe when used as it was intended. Unfortunately the  production methods we see today  are cheap and that's why the pans don't last and give off the vapors when heated etc. Avoid.

The most dangerous frying pan is the one used by a passive-aggressive wife to finally kill her husband after enduring years of abuse.

It is also not surprising that women sometimes use kitchen utilities to kill their husbands.

It is important to maintain an equal power relationship in the marriage to avoid being killed by a fry pan.

Women will not accept an unequal relationship, forever.

Probably, in most cases, it is best to buy light-weight aluminum fry pans, because killing someone with an aluminum fry pan to the noggin is impossible.

Most of the dangerous fry pans are cast iron.  They both fry better than aluminum and also have a dual use as weapons during family strife in the kitchen.

Edited by CuriousAlways

this is one of the nicest ones I've seen

http://www.lazada.co.th/lodge-l12sk3-pre-seasoned-cast-iron-skillet-25-inch-intl-8056439.html

but 6130 baht??? (whew)...

but now that I've seen it available I won't be able to sleep until I have one...absolutely perfect fer a lot of things that I make...and a perfect griddle fer my flatbread...

and I am retired on a small pension and I have a broken leg!...a curse upon those who provoked me to investigate this item...

btw...ye gots to consider that the heat inertia for cast iron is a lot greater than for the heavy bottomed aluminum saute pan that I presently use and would not respond as quickly to a desired cooking temperature adjustment...and the aluminum pan has a 'cool' handle...

but who cares...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

On 4/29/2017 at 4:17 PM, soalbundy said:

one with a handle that the wife can lift. You live in Bangkok breathing in all that filthy air and are worried about getting cancer from a frying pan ?

If it has a handle, it's potentially a weapon, rendering it unsafe, especially during arguments 

oh puhleese...the ladies know that tin pan bludgeons are messy and unnecessary when a simple 

SILENT TREATMENT

will serve the same purpose...

prostrate in front of her highness: 'what have I done? please forgive me...'...silence...

and then she gets up in her nakedness to make herself another drink and flicks the ash from her cigarette in my direction...

recognition at last...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

On 4/29/2017 at 4:11 PM, LOS1 said:

Do a Google search for "Korea King". Got one (diamond series) for xmas last year, and it is the only pan I use now. Just wonderful. They had a recent special: 3300 Bt for 2. I bought 2 more.

I saw those advertized on Lazada. Thanks for the good feedback.

On 29/04/2017 at 4:17 PM, soalbundy said:

one with a handle that the wife can lift. You live in Bangkok breathing in all that filthy air and are worried about getting cancer from a frying pan ?

I dont live in bangkok and thus your comment is baseless and has no relevance. I am subjected to fresh air on a daily basis.

7 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

this is one of the nicest ones I've seen

http://www.lazada.co.th/lodge-l12sk3-pre-seasoned-cast-iron-skillet-25-inch-intl-8056439.html

but 6130 baht??? (whew)...

but now that I've seen it available I won't be able to sleep until I have one...absolutely perfect fer a lot of things that I make...and a perfect griddle fer my flatbread...

and I am retired on a small pension and I have a broken leg!...a curse upon those who provoked me to investigate this item...

btw...ye gots to consider that the heat inertia for cast iron is a lot greater than for the heavy bottomed aluminum saute pan that I presently use and would not respond as quickly to a desired cooking temperature adjustment...and the aluminum pan has a 'cool' handle...

but who cares...

Lodge is the #1 brand of cast iron cookware in America. In the US this pan would cost about 1,000THB.

44 minutes ago, GaryB1263 said:

Lodge is the #1 brand of cast iron cookware in America. In the US this pan would cost about 1,000THB.

yeah, I've had a number of cast iron skillets (various brands) in the US and none of them were more than about $20...granted they weren't pre - seasoned and it takes some effort to get the surface just right...the skillet always took the pride of place in my kitchen...

no one ever tried to whack me with it...me mum came at me with a cheap guitar I had once when I was a teenager...

57 minutes ago, GaryB1263 said:

You can get the large Raro 12" skillet for around 1250B shipped....

It's hefty - unsure of what the weight of the Lodge is.....

I'd love a good cast iron griddle but cannot find one here...Cabellas in US has some but at 12k/24# pretty hard to get shipped/delivered to here...

Edited by pgrahmm

4 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

yeah, I've had a number of cast iron skillets (various brands) in the US and none of them were more than about $20...granted they weren't pre - seasoned and it takes some effort to get the surface just right...the skillet always took the pride of place in my kitchen...

no one ever tried to whack me with it...me mum came at me with a cheap guitar I had once when I was a teenager...

Check out the Raro.....Think I ordered my set off their FB page....

17 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Check out post #2.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I did see that but it seems to have cycled back to cast iron so tossed it back in once the hilacious cost of the Lodge came up....

Stay tuned for latest updates (and get ready) - we might come this way again....

On 2017/4/29 at 2:17 AM, soalbundy said:

Cancer from frying pan are easier to get than from the polluted air, I believe . In ancient days many romans died from lead poisoning using cups, plates, cooking pots with lead contents. They mixed lead with other metals.

On 2017/4/29 at 6:35 PM, digger70 said:

That all depends on how old you are,If you at an retirement age it wouldn't matter what pan you buy.By the time you Think that you have developed cancer you would  be Expired from old age  (:

Not exactly, you may not die so soon and in the meantime you are feeling sick but not really sick you don't know what is wrong, the doctor says you are ok. It's the fry pan .You want to die happily not feeling sick.

On 4/30/2017 at 9:15 AM, sandemara said:

I prefer cast-iron pans, dutch/camp ovens etc but now only buy the cheap ones. You could pick up great variety types in the old army disposal  or camping stores.  My first experiment with cast iron was buying a Le Creuset set (fancy, French, v/expensive) 20-30 years ago. They worked fine, but I dropped one frypan while washing up about a month afterward. I didn't notice till the next time  I tried to use it that it had a fine crack across half the pan base - totally useless. The cheap ones also crack easily if you don't take care with handling, but the loss  is not as  annoying. If treated with oil before first use, the cheapies work just as well, develop a nice non-stick sheen. I wouldn't bother with anything else. 

After reading this and other posts I went a bought a cast iron frying pan. I had never owned one

I took yours and others advise and treated it with oil

I sprayed oil in it and put it in the oven at broil up side down for a while then let it cool

This morning I used it for the first time. My fried eggs sled right off. better than ant non stck frying pan I had ever uses so did my home fries,

Love it, 

• 1 month later...