Britain gears up for negotiations of a "lifetime" after EU outlines Brexit stance

rooster59

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Clearly the author of that piece meant it was something that could never happen. That was its meaning  Subsequent events proved otherwise. Those events proved the author to be wrong. But they have no bearing on the meaning of the word.

If X tells Y that what he's trying to do is impossible and it turns out to be doable, does that signify that impossible means possible?

Your citation comes from an obscure source. It's almost always possible to find something on the internet to support one's case. It's the quality of the sources that count.  One of my citations came from Merriam Webster. Here's one from the Oxford English Dictionary:

An unattainable or fanciful hope or scheme.

‘free trade in international aviation will remain a pipe dream’

Which is what I said. But so hard to comprehend. There none as blind as them who don't want to see.

Of course, that is not literal. Those that can see but don't wish to aren't really blind. The word blind is being used figuratively. Often used in this context to describe someone being silly, or stubborn or trying to overlook the obvious.

Just now, mommysboy said:

I can only see 1 area that might provide a link in to the bones of an agreement:

An equivalence agreement on financial passporting both ways.  This is actually more compelling for EU than UK.

I'm not sure quite what you mean. Right now, there is passporting both ways.  How would your agreement benefit the EU?

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Which is what I said. But so hard to comprehend. There none as blind as them who don't want to see.

Of course, that is not literal. Those that can see but don't wish to aren't really blind. The word blind is being used figuratively. Often used in this context to describe someone being silly, or stubborn or trying to overlook the obvious.

Oh, I see now. A pipe is is a serious unobtainable fanciful hope or scheme.

4 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Oh, I see now. A pipe is is a serious unobtainable fanciful hope or scheme.

Off topic and all this drivel will probably be removed by the mods.

Why on earth you think a pipe is a serious unobtainable fanciful dream or scheme I have no idea.

If you use one, then the content of it may explain your reasoning.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Off topic and all this drivel will probably be removed by the mods.

Why on earth you think a pipe is a serious unobtainable fanciful dream or scheme I have no idea.

If you use one, then the content of it may explain your reasoning.

Criticizing a typo? Really?  You got nothing.

But you're right about this exchange being mostly drivel. I just pointed out that you had criticized that professor for charcterizing his statement as the opposite of what he said. Instead of letting it go or conceding, you kept on insisting that the professor characterizing his hope as a pipe dream somehow implied seriousness. It didnt', it doesn't, and it never will.

Edited by ilostmypassword

10 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I'm not sure quite what you mean. Right now, there is passporting both ways.  How would your agreement benefit the EU?

Right now there is passporting, but the point is that when we leave there won't be of course.  And you'd have to assume UK would act in reciprocal fashion to EU. 

UK is essentially the EU's investment banker, and also clears trades. EU is not in place to cope with any disruption.  Need I explain more?

Just now, mommysboy said:

Right now there is passporting, but the point is that when we leave there won't be of course.  And you'd have to assume UK would act in reciprocal fashion to EU. 

UK is essentially the EU's investment banker, and also clears trades. EU is not in place to cope with any disruption.  Need I explain more?

What disruption? This is a very portable business. Already various banking houses are looking to the continent for possible hq's. It's good to remember that all but one of the major financial houses in the UK are American. Why would the Europeans concede this huge source of revenue to the UK?

No doubt the UK will act in a reciprocal fashion.  But which economy is vastly bigger and will generate more deals and trades?

4 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

What disruption? This is a very portable business. Already various banking houses are looking to the continent for possible hq's. It's good to remember that all but one of the major financial houses in the UK are American. Why would the Europeans concede this huge source of revenue to the UK?

No doubt the UK will act in a reciprocal fashion.  But which economy is vastly bigger and will generate more deals and trades?

I don't think you have sufficient understanding of the situation and need to do some research.

Part of the confusion arises from confusing the retail banking sector with the much bigger and more important wholesale sector.

But in essence, what would happen if your banker suddenly was unable to fulfill your transactions and there wasn't an alternative?

7 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I don't think you have sufficient understanding of the situation and need to do some research.

Part of the confusion arises from confusing the retail banking sector with the much bigger and more important wholesale sector.

But in essence, what would happen if your banker suddenly was unable to fulfill your transactions and there wasn't an alternative?

I'm talking about the wholesale sector. Sure the retail sector with local bank branches and stuff would be hard to move.

The EU has got to be tough with the UK,to deter others from

leaving ,it's as simple as that,Mafia tactics,once you're in you

can never leave,in one piece ,anyway.

regards Worgeordie

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

I'm talking about the wholesale sector. Sure the retail sector with local bank branches and stuff would be hard to move.

It's the other way around.

UK conducts most of Euro denominated international transactions. It is the main clearing house.  Most investment banking is also conducted in London.  It is not portable.   It would also be a global financial issue.  A deal is a necessity in order to ensure smooth running of world financial markets.  There really isn't an option.

It is this necessity for a deal that could provide a springboard to deals in other sectors imo.